Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Looking to book the tunnel for next year but I'm not sure when I will return, I believe I have 2 options book a single going out and another single a week or so befor I wish to return OR I book a return and change the return booking a week or so before I want to return.
Is there any advantage in ether option.
Thanks
Charlie

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If you book the return and then change it you will usually be charged a fee for doing so.

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I always just book a single trip then book my return when we decide to return, I do this as because I don't like to think I have a set date to return home. The down side is if you break down and require repatriation some insurance companies will not honour this if you have not got a return trip booked

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Check your health travel insurance.
We have been looking for longterm cover for this winter.
We have come across many policies that require you to have a pre booked return ticket, although once booked this can be changed.
So if you go down the one way booking and unbeknown to you your travel insurance requires a booked return ticket. If you had need to make a claim whilst on the one way ticket and they asked for details of your return and non was available they would be in a position to bounce your claim.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you book the return and then change it you will usually be charged a fee for doing so.
Not so if you book directly with the tunnel. But might be if you go through a third party eg travel agent, Camping and Caravanning Club etc.

The only change in price is if the cost of the new fare is higher than the original.

The tunnel are transparent with their charges, and we have changed our bookings many many times without any admin fee.

OP
OP
Top Hat

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I always just book a single trip then book my return when we decide to return, I do this as because I don't like to think I have a set date to return home. The down side is if you break down and require repatriation some insurance companies will not honour this if you have not got a return trip booked

I have just inquired with my insurer "Comfort" and they do indeed require a return booking in place if repatriation is required, that and the fact Travel insurance may also require this, a return booking it is.
Thanks
Charlie

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We just book the return back to the Uk AFTER we get the dog sorted with her passport. Saves all the agro of changing bookings. If you do it through the Caravan and Motorhome Club they charge you £25 each time although you can do it for FREE if you ring them yourself.

We use Red Pennant and they don't require a return booking. We have just used their service and its very good all they wanted to know was when we were due back so I just said we hadn't booked it.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Can i ask why you need to book so early?
I suppose that if you need to travel at a particular time on a very busy day, bank holiday or the first day of school holidays for instance, you may need to get in early. Otherwise why not wait until nearer the time when you might be more certain of your plans and book it then.
I always used to book ferries a couple of days before leaving and there was never any price difference as long as it was 48hrs ahead. Now we use the tunnel Frequent Traveller system and I often book a day or two before.

Richard.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We always pay using Tesco vouchers, which means we have to book a return. But every time so far we have changed the return date by phone, never been charged.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We always pay using Tesco vouchers, which means we have to book a return. But every time so far we have changed the return date by phone, never been charged.
You don’t have to book a return using Tesco vouchers we just booked singles as you get the discount no matter return or not you will still be saving the same amount.
The only reason is that you can only use vouchers booking from UK.
But using say £30 worth vouchers would be same saving single or return.(y)(y)
We do take a trailer with us so probably use more vouchers than just a van.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To slightly modify the above, you can only use Tesco vouchers to book from Folkestone, either a single or return. You cannot use Tesco vouchers to book from Calais.

We always book returns then if necessary amend the return with a quick phone call - as long as it's the day before (i.e. not on the day of travel) the only charge is if the new crossing is in a more expensive category.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Can i ask why you need to book so early?
I suppose that if you need to travel at a particular time on a very busy day, bank holiday or the first day of school holidays for instance, you may need to get in early. Otherwise why not wait until nearer the time when you might be more certain of your plans and book it then.
I always used to book ferries a couple of days before leaving and there was never any price difference as long as it was 48hrs ahead. Now we use the tunnel Frequent Traveller system and I often book a day or two before.

Richard.
We are also a partner on a Frequent Traveller Account, and so like you can afford to leave it more or less to the last moment to make a reservation - and a great system it is!

But for standard tickets, I think the tunnel operates a 'fluid pricing' model, where charges generally increase the closer to the date of travel that a booking is made. So there is usually a financial advantage to booking early.

Before we had a FT a/c we used to book as early as possible and choose the most convenient crossing time. If we subsequently wanted to change nearer the departure date, we could often offset much of the increased cost of the new ticket by choosing a slightly less 'sociable' time to cross, ie later in the evening for example. And with a motorhome that didn't really cause too much inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. There could be quite a significant saving going over at 10 pm for example, rather than say 2 pm.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We are also a partner on a Frequent Traveller Account, and so like you can afford to leave it more or less to the last moment to make a reservation - and a great system it is!

But for standard tickets, I think the tunnel operates a 'fluid pricing' model, where charges generally increase the closer to the date of travel that a booking is made. So there is usually a financial advantage to booking early.

Before we had a FT a/c we used to book as early as possible and choose the most convenient crossing time. If we subsequently wanted to change nearer the departure date, we could often offset much of the increased cost of the new ticket by choosing a slightly less 'sociable' time to cross, ie later in the evening for example. And with a motorhome that didn't really cause too much inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. There could be quite a significant saving going over at 10 pm for example, rather than say 2 pm.
Its so nice to see there are other tight fisted sods on here ! We do exactly the same

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Its so nice to see there are other tight fisted sods on here ! We do exactly the same
We generally drew the line at travelling after midnight and before 6am - even we're not that tight... ;) (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I just got a shock my FQ traveler account runs out in January , but I though it was much later than that,, I was going to Spain for new year but now must go earlier and come back by the 21st forgot all about that so it obviously pays to leave it until you are getting ready to go BEFORE starting the account going.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back