Champagne region mid September (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Planning to head down to the champagne region mid September. Tunnel booked 11th and we have two weeks away. I've just realised it's grape harvesting time when we plan to be there so I assume it's not the best time to visit? Anyone been during grape harvest time? Did it impact on your trip at all? Any comments gratefully received.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Planning to head down to the champagne region mid September. Tunnel booked 11th and we have two weeks away. I've just realised it's grape harvesting time when we plan to be there so I assume it's not the best time to visit? Anyone been during grape harvest time? Did it impact on your trip at all? Any comments gratefully received.
It’s a good few years ago now, but we had our first non-campsite trip at that time of year using Passion France. We stopped at quite a few vineyards, which were busy with machinery and stuff, but all the vineyards took us in without question and tours could be done. One vineyard we were staying in the yard and they had an empty gite with a patio overlooking miles of vines. They kindly let us set up our table and chairs there and we had a magic sunset meal watching the pickers and machines about their business. I wish I could find the photo. Happy, happy memories.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Absolutely the best time to visit, as we did in 2018. Visit Jaques Copin in Verneuil and stay over night (max 2 night) for free.
The region was alive with activity and we spent several nights at the municipal site in Epernay which is also well worth a visit.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just be aware that if you use any sites close to the vineyards they are likely to be crammed with pickers.

Had first hand experience of this. Some places it was absolutely fine in another it was quite intimidating and as an ex squaddie I am not bothered by most stuff like this.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Aire at Rue Dom Perignon in Epernay which is 1k from the centre beside local boule area. Used to be a nearby toilet but has now gone. Lovely town to wander round; Cave tours and balloon that rises for an aerial view of the surrounding area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
First ever trip to France in September 1976 to the Loire Valley, using a 2 man bivouac hired from Townsend Thoresen, and took ÂŁ170 cash for camp fees, petrol, Chateaux entrance fees and food to supplement the tins of minced beef and onions packed under the rear seats! Managed to visit a couple of wine Co ops and were made most welcome. The start of a lifelong love affair with France and its people.

Steve

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We are off there for a few nights a week ans a bit after yourselves. If you have time to post some updates of your experiences that would be great.
Safe and happy travels. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We are off there for a few nights a week ans a bit after yourselves. If you have time to post some updates of your experiences that would be great.
Safe and happy travels. đź‘Ť
Will do đź‘Ť. I'll just add them to this thread.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Aire at Rue Dom Perignon in Epernay which is 1k from the centre beside local boule area. Used to be a nearby toilet but has now gone. Lovely town to wander round; Cave tours and balloon that rises for an aerial view of the surrounding area.
That Aire/parking area is reportedly closed now but there is a brand new one a street over.
Screenshot_20210822-211912.pngScreenshot_20210822-212153.png

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes apparently so. I posted it about a couple of years ago when they had a petition running to try and keep the parking open.
Real shame as it was a lovely setup, and great service. Will still pop for a visit next time we are near.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Real shame as it was a lovely setup, and great service. Will still pop for a visit next time we are near.
We intend to call in there on our trip in September, it would have been great as a stopover, it's been on my radar for a couple of years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back