Chamonix - any campsite recommended? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
we would like to visit Chamonix in May en route to Lake Garda. I wondered if anyone has stayed there and can recommend a campsite? We have bikes and can cycle a few miles if needed. Thank you
Should have said we have a 7.5m motorhome

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We love this site just outside town. However we have also overnighted in the carpark at the base of the lifts up to Mont Blanc in order to get an early start. It does get very busy once the coaches start to arrive and then the queues for the small cabins that go across to the Italian side are very long. This is the best bit IMHO as it’s a nice quiet glide over the snow field.

Be prepared to queue for this too
67AAD74F-3728-4D29-9C32-9148214DED8F.jpeg

https://www.chamonix.com/parking-du-grepon,48-195079,en.html
https://chamonix-camping.com/

When staying here last time, we also went up the Flègére cable car which is walkable from the campsite. It’s the opposite side of the valley to Mont Blanc and so there are wonderful views and of course it’s much quieter.
4733633C-5D55-4343-8B5A-4EA616C6FDF1.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Unfortunately the campsite in Chamonix that I think hilldweller is referring to is not open until 8 June so that is too late for us. However the one recommended by Riverbankannie is open and looks good so thank you.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unfortunately the campsite in Chamonix that I think hilldweller is referring to is not open until 8 June so that is too late for us.

Oh dear, so it is. What a shame, it is one that has really stuck in our minds for it's position, cleanliness and friendly staff.

We've not been for a while, the last time we used the Mont Blanc Tunnel the ticket office was manned by Dick Turpin.

The Aiguile du Midi is an expensive must too, weather permitting.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Unfortunately the campsite in Chamonix that I think hilldweller is referring to is not open until 8 June so that is too late for us. However the one recommended by Riverbankannie is open and looks good so thank you.
They will let you choose your pitch and I like to get one with a view of Mont Blanc. I just like to sit and stare ! A good pair of binoculars will enable you to pick out climbers.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well tbf, I thought we'd stayed at Chamonix. It was an Aire that was not at the town but up a hill (pretty accurate note). However, Mont Blanc was directly overlooking the area (big bugger innit) and there was a charge but only applicable on June 1st and onwards.,
Also a helicopter landed a few times as mountain rescue were training

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well apparently it was Passy. I couldn't remember the name even now but that's what my picture says
DSC_0141.JPG

Cervantes

Free Member
Jan 13, 2011
Pilar de la Horadada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo time it590
Exp
Since February 2013 (but planning for 10 years!)
We stayed at Les Houches in July 2016 - it's about 5km from Chamonix, but the views to Mont Blanc are awesome, and it's open from April to November.
Here's an approach video to give you some idea of the location.
(Also consider Plaine Joux with THE best view of Mont Blanc)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back