Carthago Warranty, I have been left a bit miffed to say the least! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
In which case you would think that a 'decent' Carthago dealer would carry the part in stock.

Richard.
Richard!, guess what?..... I just saw a pig fly past my house, I am phoning the dealer first thing tomorrow!, there is hope after all:xThumb:
LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Great ... I changed from a Globecar to a Carthago and had hoped things would be better ... I thought Globecar parts were slow to arrive ... looks like I'll have the same issue with Carthago if I need anything! Reminds me of a certain Newark based dealer ...

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Update 3,the dealer is still having to verify warranty claim dates with Carthago:banghead:
I did mention that the grey waste tap assembly falling apart was a well known common fault, also mentioned about the ÂŁ300 ceiling limit to enable spares to be ordered without authorisation from Carthago inside warranty period...result "never heard of that before, we will check that out and get back to you when we get an answer"
Ah well, will give then another week or two, then have another chase up.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndrewTurner

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
AndrewTurner
Exp
Class A Carthago C Line Tourer
Took our Carthago in for its second year hab service earlier this week, reported to the dealers that the van was in perfect working order, apart from the grey waste tap which stopped working a few weeks ago.
I cannot close off the grey water tap anymore, so I am am a permanent grey waste dribbler these days:eek:have to resort to the good old bucket under method.
The Grey waste valve is as you Cartahgo owners all know accessed and operated from the underfloor locker, there is the lever to which a long bar runs through the floor of the van then out to the grey waste tap....well this moves left & right with no resistance these days and I thought had become unattached from the tap itself.
As I knew it was going in for a service, I left it and thought I would let the dealer sort it out.
I was then told by the dealer receptionist that the engineer had discovered the tap assembly was totally buggered, photos had been taken of it, to be sent up to Carthago, for a warranty repair "Decision"
It was also pointed out to me that " we dont know if Carthago will honour the warranty repair/replacement, as you only have a day left of your 2 year warranty sir" I replied yes but its still inside its warranty period even if it only a day, and you did screw up my hab service date the week previously didn't you? (which they did it was booked in and confirmed for the 25th of Sept)
No apology was returned, I was just told it was Carthago that would have to make the decision.
I then asked, when will I know the result of "their decision" to which I was told, "call us in about 6 weeks time, we should have heard back from Carthago by then"
I was then informed that "it will probably take another 6 weeks from the decision date to get the new part sent over to us to make the repair. I then replied so it can take 3 months then, to which she said "Yes"
Cut a long story short, I had sat in their reception all day 8AM to 4.30PM (8.5 hours) having the 2nd hab service done in the morning, then after lunch had the Fiat first service done, I left the dealers at 5PM.
I did not show any anger or disappointment at the receptionist at the time, I just wanted to get on the road home through the rush hour traffic 124 miles up The A303 & M3.
So Yes, I am now disappointed, peed off & miffed, I sadly/naively did expect a better faster response from a premium brand like Carthago, and I will vent my spleen at someone next week,probably the sales director.
Who should I be more disappointed with The Dealer, or Carthago?
Thank God its not a part thats needed which would stop us using the van, we have been so happy with the build quality with no faults other than a Dometic FF problem in the early days of ownership.
I had enough of this type of service from Swift in the past, didnt expect the same reincarnation of bad spares supply from Ze Germans(n):banghead:

Les
I have had exactly the same problem with our Carthago C Tourer this week and it appears to be a design fault with the line up of the lever and the nut which opens/closes the waste water tank.The lever ,rod mechanism and the operational nut fitted to the top of the tank are out of line by approximately 1/2 centimetre when the rod is in an exact vertical position.
I spoke to Camper UK in Lincoln who are major Carthago dealers and their parts and service engineers were extremely helpful on the phone in trying to sort this problem .Basically,one needs to firstly pull out the light brown central heating flexible pipe from its position which is over the top of the waste water tank .This will then allow you in a front laid down position on the floor using a torch, to see down the gap between the operating lever which empties the tank and the space left once the flexible pipe has been removed.You can then see the rod connected to the lever and how at the base the connector this will have become detached from the nut which opens/closes the waste water tank.In order to reconnect this (it’s a bit fiddly !) firstly unscrew the top screw(Nearest the rear of the motorhome) which holds the lever mechanism in place whilst leaving the bottom screw in its current position - this will provide you with more manoeuvrability to reconnect the mechanism with the locking nut -PS the connector at the base of the rod which you are reconnecting is visually the same as that which connects the top of the rod to the lever which operates the emptying of the tank . It took me approximately 1/2 hour to reconnect with numerous attempts - then bingo the tank emptied!!! Fortunately I have an electric ball valve at the far end of my drain pipe which I will now solely use for emptying from the centre console on the dashboard thus leaving the Water tank lever permanently in the open position as the dealers felt that this problem could easily reoccur. Carthago need to address this situation and provide a more practical solution to this common problem.
andrew

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I would write to the dealer’s MD.
If you are a day inside your warranty you are still within your warranty.
The dealer should acknowledge that a) you’re their client and b) they’ve put your service date back to make you within a day of the warranty expiry.
If Carthago will not honour it, the dealer should as s gesture of goodwill.Then I’d write to the Carthago European Sales Director and the MD at the factory.
I’d complain about the dealers ability not to confirm that within a warranty period that you have to be prepared for it not being covered - the dealer is representing the manufacturer here.
That in today’s age, it should not take that length of time to get a decision - even though there’s no decision to be had as you’re within your claim period and that you can order a part from China via eBay and it doesn’t take that length of time to be delivered.
Your part is coming from Germany and you’d have expected better from an efficient country.

If the decision is not to cover you, I would pursue through the small claims route against the dealer.

That said, you need to establish whether the failed part is a failed part and not broken from anything you have done by accident for it to be covered under warranty in the first place.

This is another example of where dealers and manufacturers get it wrong.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Update:
Van going in for its 3rd year hab check, MOT, and they say they have the new grey waste parts from Carthago in stock now, had them some time I believe, but didnt tell me this until I rang them a few months back, to book service for 30th September.
LES

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Fortunately I have an electric ball valve at the far end of my drain pipe which I will now solely use for emptying from the centre console on the dashboard thus leaving the Water tank lever permanently in the open position as the dealers felt that this problem could easily reoccur. Carthago need to address this situation and provide a more practical solution to this common problem.
andrew
Thanks Andrew, it does sound like an over complicated design, very fiddly to remedy, and I agree this problem could easily reoccur any time in the future, as can be seen from other Carthago owners.
Can I ask did the dealer fit the electric ball valve to the grey waste pipe and wire it back to the dash, or did you do that mod yourself?. If your dealer did the mod, I like others will ask for the same remedy, but I cant imagine that happening for me, so another job I guess.
LES

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
This to me is all very strange and I cannot get my likkle head around it. Our :h: Winnebago:h: is ten years old this September so now well out of guarantee, but since purchase any part needed arrives on my doorstep, from Winnebago Parts, in the States, within a week of ordering it. That included a wall light to match existing that I wanted to add and the Automatic Trransmission Module ATM that needed programming to our particular vehicle, and a silly stainless wheel centre bit lost when I clipped a cone in France.

Lucky ain’t I. :gum:

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We have the same problem with our c tourer
We have got used to being very careful when we use it thanks 🙏 for that very informative info 👍
Our Grey waste lever was very stiff in operation from new, it only worked for the first year before the lever became detached and since then the dump valve has been in the open position, which I guess was lucky, as if it disconnected in the closed position that would have worsened the inconvenience.
Well thats 4 of us on this thread having the same problem, with a better fix/option from Andrew.
LES

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We collected our new C-Tourer last week. During the handover I did ask about the issue with Carthago grey waste levers disconnecting but was told it wasn't something I needed to worry about, I just need to get a feel for the resistance and movement of the handle when using it. This weekend with the van safely on the home drive I went through lots of little tests to see what was what and how much effort was needed etc. I ran up the boiler and made sure we had ECO and HOT water temps using Mix2, yep, all good. Decided to see how the snazzy new shiny bowl drained away when the plug was pulled up .... yep, nice, quiet draining, no big gurgles, happy with that, bowl emptied cleanly, tick that box.

Stepped out of the van just in time to see wastewater running merrily down the driveway .... huh? OK, let's check the waste lever .... OK, it's sitting horizontally in the locker, check the nearby information sticker, that's showing it to be in the CLOSED position, check .... yep, CLOSED ..... hmmm, turn lever down to the OPEN position and the wastewater stops flowing. Looks like mine is set up to be the polar opposite of the very nice sticker in 4 languages :rolleyes:

Whilst I would love to think that this is just a one-off, I am rapidly beginning to see that it won't be. There is likely now to be a dearth of little things that aren't what we were expecting to see from having "invested" in our Carthago. Tried playing a DVD using the head unit, just to see how that worked ..... well, it works just fine if I want to watch it on the dashboard, just not on the 32" Alphatronics flat monitor ... :( I expect there will be a way to make it play on the BIG screen, but it probably involves lots of reading and button/menu fiddling .... just perfect when you've had a sherbet or two and fancy watching a ROMCOM with the wife!

Life in a moho can never be called dull that's for sure :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
if I want to watch it on the dashboard, just not on the 32" Alphatronics flat monitor ... :( I expect there will be a way to make it play on the BIG screen, but it probably involves lots of reading and button/menu fiddling ...
Those Alphatronics are a nightmare to set up. Helped my mate with a Compact Line 2 days of messing about and at least 3 resets before it worked. Still not sure what cured it.
If you have the Pioneer head unit make sure you turn of the media switch on the control panel or you will have a flat starter battery in the morning.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Those Alphatronics are a nightmare to set up. Helped my mate with a Compact Line 2 days of messing about and at least 3 resets before it worked. Still not sure what cured it.
If you have the Pioneer head unit make sure you turn of the media switch on the control panel or you will have a flat starter battery in the morning.
Cheers Lenny, I had already seen your earlier comment and had made a mental note to make sure we do just that. I think I am going to have to take it one step at a time to get conversant with this TV setup, it's definitely different from our Avtex we just said goodbye to.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Stepped out of the van just in time to see wastewater running merrily down the driveway .... huh? OK, let's check the waste lever .... OK, it's sitting horizontally in the locker, check the nearby information sticker, that's showing it to be in the CLOSED position, check .... yep, CLOSED ..... hmmm, turn lever down to the OPEN position and the wastewater stops flowing. Looks like mine is set up to be the polar opposite of the very nice sticker in 4 languages :rolleyes:
Our Carthago waste lever has no labels. The drain is closed when the handle is vertical, at 6 o’clock, and open when wound anticlockwise to about 2 o’clock.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
1626103668922.png

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the arrows are confusing but the lever positions look correct.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We waited over a year for our warranty work to be completed on our Carthago in the end we told the dealer where to go and got reliance to take over our warranty claim .

We also got them to complete work what Carthago said could not be claimed for on warranty ie the engine battery was going flat when we watched TV.

As Lenny said above give reliance a ring
Ante these just cathargo service engineers ? If not can you post details please

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Carthago waste lever has no labels. The drain is closed when the handle is vertical, at 6 o’clock, and open when wound anticlockwise to about 2 o’clock.
Neither has ours, we had to dig the manual out to check so I used a nice thick marker pen to indicate which way to put the lever to open/close, same with the fresh water and boiler drains too ... you can't 'lose' marker pen marks!

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Our Rapido waste drain lever was the same, vertical when shut, turned to 3.00pm to open .... just was expecting a bit better from Carthago on their markings, but it evidently fooled the person who assembled it as they left it in the open position thinking it was actually shut :ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
* Update * I've now fitted a ball valve tap on the waste outlet, complete with a hosetail fitting (I have reduced the length back to the widest thread diameter to fit the corrugated waste pipe, so it's not quite as pointy as shown). Waste tap lever remains permanently in the open position on the tank itself and I can see at a glance whether I'm open or closed without needing to lift the carpet and floor hatch. Maybe in the winter months I might resort to shutting it off at the tank end, but at least I now have that as an option, and hopefully without needing to resort to being a contortionist to repair a dodgy castle nut connector!

IMG_9401.jpeg

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well done Sunlovers, that's a nice simple solution, to an overcomplicated problem, and very neat looking.(y)
Can you give us a link to where you purchased the inline tap & hose connector please ,along with size etc, it will help me & many others I am sure.
Thanks.
LES

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
* Update * I've now fitted a ball valve tap on the waste outlet, complete with a hosetail fitting (I have reduced the length back to the widest thread diameter to fit the corrugated waste pipe, so it's not quite as pointy as shown). Waste tap lever remains permanently in the open position on the tank itself and I can see at a glance whether I'm open or closed without needing to lift the carpet and floor hatch. Maybe in the winter months I might resort to shutting it off at the tank end, but at least I now have that as an option, and hopefully without needing to resort to being a contortionist to repair a dodgy castle nut connector!

View attachment 526500
I have this lying around, it is an unused ASTORE D40/1 1/4" DN32 PN16 and can be had for the postage and a small donation to my alky fund!

20210813_112709[1].jpg

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Well done Sunlovers, that's a nice simple solution, to an overcomplicated problem, and very neat looking.(y)
Can you give us a link to where you purchased the inline tap & hose connector please ,along with size etc, it will help me & many others I am sure.
Thanks.
LES
Amazon product ASIN B01BF744XK
No problem at all. The fitting was measured at 48.3mm across the threads (on the van waste pipe itself). This is a match to a 1.5" BSP fitting, which is what I ordered using the above link. The match to the van fitting was perfect, and all I needed to add was a compressible washer at the back to allow me to tighten it up to ensure the red tap handle was TDC when tight. I made the washer/O ring using self-amalgamating tape, which when wrapped around a typical silicone mastic cartridge body, was the perfect diameter. A toilet cistern back-nut would also do the same job, but probably take up a bit more thread than the tape O ring.

The hosetail barb again was a perfect match to the female thread on the ball valve body and I just hacksawed off the excess reducing length as that was always going to be flow-restricting and unnecessary to retain. My waste hose pipe literally screws on with about three or four turns to connect up when required.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Amazon product ASIN B01BF744XK
No problem at all. The fitting was measured at 48.3mm across the threads (on the van waste pipe itself). This is a match to a 1.5" BSP fitting, which is what I ordered using the above link. The match to the van fitting was perfect, and all I needed to add was a compressible washer at the back to allow me to tighten it up to ensure the red tap handle was TDC when tight. I made the washer/O ring using self-amalgamating tape, which when wrapped around a typical silicone mastic cartridge body, was the perfect diameter. A toilet cistern back-nut would also do the same job, but probably take up a bit more thread than the tape O ring.

The hosetail barb again was a perfect match to the female thread on the ball valve body and I just hacksawed off the excess reducing length as that was always going to be flow-restricting and unnecessary to retain. My waste hose pipe literally screws on with about three or four turns to connect up when required.
That's a whole lot cheaper than mine was!
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back