Carpet for the Autotrail? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
We took the factory carpets up on our last trip, at first the van just felt too hot with them down (Spain) then when we were away in Scotland the dog made a mess every time he came in. So we took them up before they got damaged.

But I hate the feel of a gritty hard floor when in bare feet (which I almost always am in the van) so was looking for something else - easily cleaned and not easily marked, but that we could leave down in the warm weather too, just with a quick hoover couple of times a day (it's not a big area after all).

Saw that 'Lenny' said he had laid gel backed carpets in his GP (gin palace). Sounds good, but after measuring up and looking around its going to be north of £100 to carpet the van with gel backed stuff, and that is the 5mm thin stuff. Sounds like a lot for the size (15m2) and nature of the use especially as I'll likely butcher it when cutting it up, can only get it in 4m widths too, which make the requirement actually 20m2 to fit without joins in the main two areas!

I was planning on fitting it edge to edge rather than copy the factory carpet patterns - that doesn't seem like an option since there will be no bound edges so would probably lift and make a trip hazard, I'm hazardous enough.

Anyone had any experience of successfully replacing their carpets at a reasonable cost? What did you use?

IanRJ

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I used some living room carpet off cuts and paid a local carpet company to “whip” them for me, to give a bound edge

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used Gel backed in the previous van that cost about£50
The current one I used Marvel Mats from Dunelm Mills they cost about £100. When we get back from a trip I just put them in the washing machine.

1591542535747.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are they all separate mats Lenny or on a roll?
Separate they do 3 or 4 sizes, you can cut them with scissors, I have 4 pieces through the van and a couple of small pieces on the steps to the beds and another piece between the cab seats, for the cab I used Gel backed.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I see the mats you mean Lenny.

I'm hoping for something a bit more joined up so no lifting edges etc.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I fitted carpet tiles in our Savannah.
Bit heavier than the carpet that came out but, as we have a reasonable payload and there's only two of us plus the dog, they work well for us.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Whilst on the subject of mats. In the cab of my Peugeot I have a shaped mat one big one for both passengers and driver, every time I tread on it it slips. Should I change it for a rubber backed one? What have you got?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Whilst on the subject of mats. In the cab of my Peugeot I have a shaped mat one big one for both passengers and driver, every time I tread on it it slips. Should I change it for a rubber backed one? What have you got?
Ours (FIAT Ducato) has a couple of twist locks to hold it in place. I guess a Boxer doesn't?
You could maybe try some self adhesive hook and loop tape under it rather than buying a new mat?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have used individual dirt-grabber mats previously (similar to Lenny's) and they don't lift as they have rubberised backs which keep them flat, they come in 2 types: those with a rubber 'frame' round the outside, or those without which is similar to what Lenny has. There are some 'pretend' ones though so make sure you get the ones with cotton tufts and not the nylon/poly ones as they do NOT dry shoes, dog feet etc which to us is the whole point of having them as they stop muck/damp etc being dragged in to the rest of the vehicle.

For our Carthago we had a very, very large dirt-grabber type mats - like the ones you see at the entrance to shops - which hubby cut to fit and then into sections as we have hatches for underfloor locker we need to access - we have a separate one at the the habitation door entrance which sits on top of the fitted ones that we can take out and wash easily if needs be. The fitted ones can also easily be take out and shaken/brushed when away, or to dry them if the dogs' water bowl has been kicked over (it happens at least once every single trip!).

I'm trying to remember where I saw them cheaper and I think it was probably Home Bargains or B&M Stores.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could try attaching some 'rubberised' rug gripper net to the back of them as that should stop them moving. Another option is to fit some press-studs to the cab floor and the mats so you can 'clip' them in place.
Ours (FIAT Ducato) has a couple of twist locks to hold it in place. I guess a Boxer doesn't?
You could maybe try some self adhesive hook and loop tape under it rather than buying a new mat?
Been there, done that, had the sticky mess! Unfortunately as soon as the temperature in the vehicle rises the 'glue' on the back of the 'Velcro' stuff goes tacky and quite happily moves and sticks to anything it wants - it is a pain in the bum to remove the marks it leaves.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I noticed them in the family bargain shop yesterday funnily enougn, didn't look to see what the tufts where made of tho.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I see the mats you mean Lenny.

I'm hoping for something a bit more joined up so no lifting edges etc.
We need to be able to get at the under floor hatches also a big one the length of the van wouldn't go in the washing machine.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could try attaching some 'rubberised' rug gripper net to the back of them as that should stop them moving. Another option is to fit some press-studs to the cab floor and the mats so you can 'clip' them in place.

Been there, done that, had the sticky mess! Unfortunately as soon as the temperature in the vehicle rises the 'glue' on the back of the 'Velcro' stuff goes tacky and quite happily moves and sticks to anything it wants - it is a pain in the bum to remove the marks it leaves.
Guess it depends on the brand \ quality of the stuff you get. Used some for a "repair" on the drop down monitor and it worked well but after a while replaced it with some 3M dual lock tape. We need to be careful opening the monitor 'cause you could end up pulling the panel surround off it's that strong!:eek:

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
We also use marvel mats from Dunhelm in our Kingham. Butt together, don’t lift at edges. Easy to take out and clean. Or get another set. Nice fitted CREAM carpet from AS in loft

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Read that as catapult! That would be interesting eh!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back