Caravan guard and towcar (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2023
Macclesfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
I have just bought a Smart Fortwo and had it adapted by TAF in chesterfield, I have told the car insurance company and they said it’s covered. However when I told caravan guard they said they do not accept a-frames, only trailers!! So now I’m not sure if I should try another company? Attached is the reply from them

IMG_6437.png

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Could it be that towing on an A-Frame is still a grey area as far as the law is concerned?
I think I'm right in saying, it is thought to be illegal in this country BUT it is never been tested in court so there is no case history.
I'm sure there are others with much greater experience than I who will add comment.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Could it be that towing on an A-Frame is still a grey area as far as the law is concerned?
I think I'm right in saying, it is thought to be illegal in this country BUT it is never been tested in court so the is no case history.
I'm sure there are others with much greater experience than I who will add comment.
That's my understanding too. It may be more to do with the accidents that have happed with a-framed cars, one where the frame came away from the car and another that burst into flames, both reported on here, there are likely more we don't know about.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have told the car insurance company and they said it’s covered
Is it only covered when NOT being towed, ie it's just covered with the modification that's been done, and is it covered when being towed and if so is it comprehensive or third party?

OP
OP
Jonesyi
Jul 2, 2023
Macclesfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
It could be I suppose, all a bit of a minefield really. Hopefully I’ll never need to find out. I have seen a few posts where people have insured both vehicles with the same insurer like NFU. But only getting the toad value upto £1000

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back