cannock chase (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Has anyone wild camped on Cannock Chase lately I know all the car parks have signs saying no over night caravans or tents but I am in a motor home :whistle:

I only live about 40 minutes away and we both enjoy our electric mountain bikes and cannock chase is superb for this.

I have heard all the rumours about the dogging etc but my main concern is how safe is it are there loads of lads in cars at night prowling the area likely to cause us an issue.

Please let me know if you have wild camped on any of the car parks and how was it

LB

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The picture you paint leads me to feel that I wouldn’t want to stay there if it was the last place left on earth. But I’m an old softie southerner just trying to avoid trouble.:D:rolleyes:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You can legally park at one place...
Broken Link Removed

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.749...4!1sjG_isldJrrWmFIA0CUS2yw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Website is not much use...
I know some people have wild camped and we have had posts on here ref the "dogging" (y):D The funster at the time was almost doing a live report. Think they moved on in the end (the funster not the doggers ) Watch out for ex Villa players in the bushes.. :rofl::rofl:

Stay at old mo's and visit the chase during the day. Also old railway just behind his CL that runs from stafford to newport.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Come on be serious! Dogging in Cannock Chase? Any ideas of the time and place? Often wondered about my missus and where she goes joggin or is that Doggin?
FrighteningGrimCrossbill-size_restricted.gif

Seriously though...Tackeroo is ideal for wild camping. No facilities apart from water point and a dump for the toilet. The ranger does come around early for payment so be ready.It honestly is not a lot. Last time we went ..it cost £5 and was well worth it

Edit...It is now £10 a night just found out

Kev and Carolyn

PS....Cannock Chase is truly beautiful. Dont fret about the gossip with The stories that you have heard. The amount of folks that enjoy the walking and cycling across there should tell you something. Lived within 3 miles from there and always looked at it as if you could be in Canada. Its just missing the bears and wolves! Lol

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have stayed at Tackeroo a couple of times it is a really nice spot . I think we have paid the Forestry ranger to stay once the other time no one turned up to take our payment .

It is directly on the cycle track route which is handy and there are lots of marked tracks for walking.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Broken Link Removed

£15 a night...

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
trouble with tackeroo is its hardly ever open only opens on certain days of the year

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
April to October is the norm. And dependant on how efficient the Ranger is..depends on whether it is chargeable or not !
giphy.gif
KEV

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Yes but most of the time the gate is locked i rang them it is onlt available about 25 nights per year

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Yes but most of the time the gate is locked i rang them it is onlt available about 25 nights per year

You may have gone out side the normal times for camping?

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7644
Tackeroo Caravan Site Forestry Commission
Cannock Chase
Penkridge Bank Rd
Rugeley
Staffordshire (Browse area)
WS15 2UQ
Tel: 0300 067 4340

Gates are always open after April til October

Lived within ear shot for a number of years and only found it closed after October to be honest

Kev

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
According to forestry commission it is now rarely open except for special events and they have to be booked usually through the organisers not the forestry commission.
Sorry don't know website address but if you Google Forestry England it lists all their sites. Doesn't include Cannock Chase at all. They are getting more and more commercial with tie ins to CCC, don't think Tackeroo will be available again. Hope someone can tell me I'm wrong.
Just found it, www.campingintheforest.co.uk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
According to forestry commission it is now rarely open except for special events and they have to be booked usually through the organisers not the forestry commission.

This is what the lady on the phone told me

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
The guys are quite correct Morag and Dougal..Looks like Tackeroo is good for concerts and the occasional hippy party.

Sorry about that . Thought that it was open as stated.

Hey...You could always try https://www.pitchup.com/tents/England/Central/Staffordshire/Cannock/

It may be some help guys?

Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back