Can anyone help getting satellite down? (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We are living in the motorhome full-time because a house purchase has fallen through. Today I accidentally disconnected the 12v power to our TV while it was on. When I plugged it back in the TV has lost all power, which is frustrating but worse the satellite dish is still up and so we cannot drive to move on which we are obliged to do soon. The dealer is now closed due to this blasted virus (they are in a Tier 3 area). We've checked all the obvious fuses etc., and the control box is hidden behind panelling so I am loathe to take all that off because the van is new and under warranty. The vehicle is a Carado.

Does anyone know of a manual way to get a satellite down?

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
you state the vehicle is a Carado, I think to get someone to help you will have to state which satellite you have. We have the Oyster and when this happened to us you had to get onto the roof & loosen some bolts. Maybe someone will be able to give better advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You state fuses are ok BUT have you checked them with a multi / continuinty tester to confirm ??
Often they can look ok to the eye but actually be blown.. My first thought is a fuse, especially as you unplugged and plugged the power lead in while live. Having both the TV and sat off also make me think they are on the same circuit.
Good luck..

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for all for your quick replies, not in the mood for jokes tbh, although I can see the amusement. Our problem is not the loss of the TV we are supposed to move the motorhome to somewhere else and obviously can't when the satellite is up. I'll try the hand brake thing, I didn't think of it when I started it earlier.

The make is Teleco.

My first thought is a fuse too, unfortunately I suspect that is hidden behind the panelling with the satellite control box. I've emailed the dealer and have to hope someone picks it up. If not I'll get a repair guy out if I can and have to worry about warranties later. They may know how to get it down manually.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
apparently there is a fuse in the sat control box and possibly a reset button on the back of the box, but thats from reading tinternet. good luck (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
There‘s a button on the satellite control box to park the dish for our Alden system, seems strange to place said box behind panelling or in an inaccessible location.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Worst case scenario loosen bolts that dish swivels up and down on and lay dish down manually
It should be obvious which bolts to loosen.
Mark position of dish whilst still upright so you can stand back up in original position before re tightening

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Disc cutter?

sorry couldn’t help myself

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
In the past when my dish has stuck I have first tried starting the engine and if that didn't work then I unplugged the data cable into the control box for a few seconds and then plugged it back in, that has always done the job. Other than that then you need to get up and physically take it off

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
apparently there is a fuse in the sat control box and possibly a reset button on the back of the box, but thats from reading tinternet. good luck (y)
Thank you, it looks like I may have to remove the panelling. I'll
There‘s a button on the satellite control box to park the dish for our Alden system, seems strange to place said box behind panelling or in an inaccessible location.
Yes I agree, it is crazy to have it boxed in. I have an ambulance shift tomorrow, (and to be honest it is quite depressing not to say scary at the moment) but the day after when I have time, I will take it apart carefully and slowly and see whether the park button will work. I'm doubtful because I think a fuse is blown, but if it is I will hopefully find it.

Otherwise I will have to borrow a set of ladders and some sockets then climb up to look at it.

Thanks all for your continued help.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
In the past when my dish has stuck I have first tried starting the engine and if that didn't work then I unplugged the data cable into the control box for a few seconds and then plugged it back in, that has always done the job. Other than that then you need to get up and physically take it off
Good idea I will try unplugging it.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Worst case scenario loosen bolts that dish swivels up and down on and lay dish down manually
It should be obvious which bolts to loosen.
Mark position of dish whilst still upright so you can stand back up in original position before re tightening
Marking the position is a good idea, thanks.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Cannot speak for Teleco, but my Oyster used to come down as soon as the ignition was switched-on, if it was still up. I don't think it would've done so if the 12V supply was disconnected.
If your TV has no power, that would seem to be the problem. Did you do something that might have caused a fuse to blow when you disconnected the TV?
Maybe you could get power from a 12V lighter socket (but not from the cab)?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the wiring is similar to a Hymer there may be a seperat fuse holder block beside the Elektroblock with fuses for tv/sat, fridge & heating.

Shouldnt be any problem driving, at 30mph no worse than a force 6 wind, just keep below 40.

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie

Can anyone help getting satellite down?​

NASA?
Merry Xmas!
I'm here all week

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
There should be a 3rd '12V' ignition trigger wire.
As others have said turn on the engine ignition and the dish should retract.
If the controller has locked up press both controller buttons simultaneously and it should reboot.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
As Lenny said, as a temporary measure, and as long as you're constantly aware of the height, it should be ok to drive at reasonable speeds to new location. French travellers do it all the time with quite large satellite dishes. Good luck.

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
when we had our hymer our snipe 2 would not come down so we drove with it up it was meant to come down at 30 mph but it didnt when we stopped tried again and down it came dont know whether this will help

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
With things as they are in your job at the moment, you don’t need this extra stress! Come back on & ask again when you have time, don’t worry about it - I’m sure between us the solution will come! I think when that happened to us (Oyster box) we did something with the control box? Sorry I can’t be of more help, it was some years ago!

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Happened to us Christmas before last near Perpignan. We drove slowly to a local dealer with the dish up (it was fine) and they said it was a fuse from the fuse box underneath the drivers seat. We’ve got a Burstner with a Fiat cab.
Hope that helps and good luck.
ps agree with someone above that sometimes the fuses look ok but aren’t...

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
hi phone this number its pullingers in essex 01787 472747 they are very helpful with teleco problems if they cant help they will give you a number of the main importers in watford also very good

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have one of those telescopic ladders in the M/H garage specifically to deal with roof issues.

(Which to be fair are normally either cleaning or vegetation related, hence I also carry a pair of telescopic tree loppers as well)

I'd suggest you add telescopic ladder and loppers to your list to Santa

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I just wanted to really thank everyone for their fabulous response. What a marvellous community this is.

In the cold light of day we decided it must be a fuse and so systematically searched for fuses where we hadn't found them before. Then we decided for the satellite to go down when the engine is started it must be with the starter battery somehow. Bingo... there is a separate bank of fuses and after simply removing them one by one we found the offender.

Once again a big thank you.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I have one of those telescopic ladders in the M/H garage specifically to deal with roof issues.

(Which to be fair are normally either cleaning or vegetation related, hence I also carry a pair of telescopic tree loppers as well)

I'd suggest you add telescopic ladder and loppers to your list to Santa
Great idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back