cam belt (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Van is 5 years old at the end of July, therefore due service, mot and cam belt water pump change etc. For the last few years i have used my local commercial garage for service and mot, and the guy there seemed to know his way around a fiat motorhome and always did a good job. I have been to the garage this morning to get a quote to carry out these works and was advised they no longer do work on Fiat vans or motorhomes, no reason for this was know or given.

So my reason for this post is can anyone of you knowledgeable funsters point me in the right direction of a garage they have used with success in the West Midlands .

Thank you
James (marpool)

Deleted User
Another vote for Dave Newell, he knows what he is doing, did my cambelt 5 years ago and service every year even though he is not local to me.

My van needs a new cambelt and full service but I am stuck in Portugal at the moment, very reluctant to let any one else touch it to be honest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Dave Newell did ours a couple of years ago.
We travelled from Glasgow to get it done (OK we fitted it in to a trip we were on).
We got complementary tickets from Jacqui for the local Victorian Village which is worth a visit so dropped off, walked to \ from the village and back to collect later same day.

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Just for info for anyone in my area, the local garage that I use for m/h servicing and who I have found to be good over the last 4 years has quoted me £235 all in to do cambelt change on my van. Garage is Comptons Garage in Leamington Spa.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just for info for anyone in my area, the local garage that I use for m/h servicing and who I have found to be good over the last 4 years has quoted me £235 all in to do cambelt change on my van. Garage is Comptons Garage in Leamington Spa.
That's almost a third the amounts I've been quoted. It's either very cheap or I'm being led up the garden path.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

is that on an X250 fiat?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

That's almost a third the amounts I've been quoted. It's either very cheap or I'm being led up the garden path.
Price seems to the very cheap side.
Is it for an X250 or different variant?
Does it include water pump, tensioners, etc which are recommended to be replaced at same time?
Are they using quality, eg Gates and Graf components or cheaper versions?

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
It's a 2004 Fiat 2.8JTD which I do believe are significantly cheaper to do than the more modern variants ( in fact, I seem to recall someone on this forum who knows about these things saying a while back that the "workshop time for this job on a 2.8JTD is only 1.75 hours). It includes all tensioners etc but doesn't include the water pump as that runs off the auxilliary belt and no need to change it ( or so I believe). I have no doubt of the quality of their work as I have all our vehicles serviced there ( 5 in total including a Mercedes car and a TVR) and have never had an issue with them. In fact, they once had my TVR for 2 days trying to fix a non start issue and when they sorted it they didn't charge anything as they said they had found it an interesting challenge! Maybe they are giving me a discount for doing all our vehicles but I'm not going to ask them to charge me more!

MarkDa

Free Member
Sep 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Just rang my local Fiat Professional dealer about a belt on my 2004 JTD and they recommended doing water pump as well as the cam belt drives it!
And that was from the 'adviser' not just the receptionist - I'm still not convinced he believed me when I assured him that the cambelt didn't touch the water pump.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just rang my local Fiat Professional dealer about a belt on my 2004 JTD and they recommended doing water pump as well as the cam belt drives it!
And that was from the 'adviser' not just the receptionist - I'm still not convinced he believed me when I assured him that the cambelt didn't touch the water pump.
I don't know the jtd well but I was of the impression that the water pump was not affected by the cam belt

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908_142119_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908_142119_com.android.chrome.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 25