Cairn Gorm – Coire na Ciste "camp site" planning application submitted (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Details here... http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/202...a-ciste-motor-home-park-planning-application/

Proposal from Highlands & Islands Enterprise to turn part of the Coire na Ciste car park into an overnight stop for motorhomes/campervans. I hesitate to call it a camp site as the only facilities will be black waste disposal and fresh water - no hook-up. It'll also have a fence around it to discourage people leaving the site! Despite all these attractions they're still proposing to charge. Note that you already have the right to stop overnight near any public road for free. Interestingly, this car park is built either side of a public road - so some people are questioning how HIE can legally fence it off and charge money to access it.

The view will be nice though (weather permitting).

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Car parks don’t come free and especially with facilities, I am only too happy to pay a small fee.

It’s great news for me and much better than being moved on late at night.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't understand your negativity. It sounds like the very thing we need more of in the UK.

I guess they are fencing it off because it is on land they own and to use the facilities folk will have to pay the entrance fee - which is only fair.

And legally you don't have the right to stop anywhere and overnight in a MH in Scotland - although this rule isn't enforced except around Loch Lomond I believe. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I guess they are fencing it off because it is on land they own and to use the facilities folk will have to pay the entrance fee - which is only fair.

Read the article I link to --- its half way up a mountain at a dead end. People only go up the road to visit the mountain. There's literally nothing else to do.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Read the article I link to --- its half way up a mountain at a dead end. People only go up the road to visit the mountain. There's literally nothing else to do.
Which makes it all the more value for money when they charge. If there is nothing there, why maintain a car park?

We have stayed there and there was a donation box that I shoved £10 in, I am willing to bet most don’t so what choice do the council have?

I am delighted it’s here to stay as a viable spot to go.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
And legally you don't have the right to stop anywhere and overnight in a MH in Scotland - although this rule isn't enforced except around Loch Lomond I believe.

Not true. Other way around actually. In the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park area the LLTNP tried to enforce camping controls that proved illegal for motorhomes, so they quietly withdrew any reference to "banning" camping other than in their paid-for zones (they still enforce it for tents). The law allows anyone to park and sleep in their vehicle overnight by a public road, anywhere in Scotland, unless the law has been changed by local bylaw for some specific reason (e.g. its in a residential area).

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Which makes it all the more value for money when they charge. If there is nothing there, why maintain a car park?

We have stayed there and there was a donation box that I shoved £10 in, I am willing to bet most don’t so what choice do the council have?

I am delighted it’s here to stay as a viable spot to go.
The car park already exists! The land belongs to the public (HIE are granted use of it by Scot Gov). Well done for donating - but actually, the company that HIE subcontracted management to has gone bust, and shown to have never spent any of those donations on actually maintaining the car park. In fact they appear to have spent most of the money that should have spent on maintenance e.g. of ski slopes, car parks etc. on "management fees" to their private equity company owner. That's why HIE have been forced to take back control, and are now trying to find any means possible to recoup the public money they've lost.

Remember also that this is a National Park who's purpose (by law) is to "promote understanding and enjoyment (including enjoyment in the form of recreation) of the special qualities of the area by the public". Does fencing off a car park, and enforcing payment to stop, support this purpose?

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Details here... http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/202...a-ciste-motor-home-park-planning-application/

Proposal from Highlands & Islands Enterprise to turn part of the Coire na Ciste car park into an overnight stop for motorhomes/campervans. I hesitate to call it a camp site as the only facilities will be black waste disposal and fresh water - no hook-up. It'll also have a fence around it to discourage people leaving the site! Despite all these attractions they're still proposing to charge. Note that you already have the right to stop overnight near any public road for free. Interestingly, this car park is built either side of a public road - so some people are questioning how HIE can legally fence it off and charge money to access it.

The view will be nice though (weather permitting).

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
We know what a bad rep we’re all getting in the Highlands due to those who are not treating this glorious place with the respect it deserves. I think charging a little for Black Waste disposal is fair. We all need to keep a lookout for those attempting to dirty up our name and the beautiful places we want to visit. Hearts and minds.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Not true. Other way around actually. In the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park area the LLTNP tried to enforce camping controls that proved illegal for motorhomes, so they quietly withdrew any reference to "banning" camping other than in their paid-for zones (they still enforce it for tents). The law allows anyone to park and sleep in their vehicle overnight by a public road, anywhere in Scotland, unless the law has been changed by local bylaw for some specific reason (e.g. its in a residential area).
Absolutely spot on. There have been many comments re the legislation adopted to try and enforce overnight parking in the Trossachs area as it in direct conflict with the Road Traffic Act which specifically allows parking on a road ie a lay-by. Many local councils don’t understand this aspect and are putting out signs saying, for example, no overnight parking which is in conflict with RTA just because they don’t want people parking there!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Vans have always overnighted at Coire na Ciste car park
Having a disposal point has to be a good thing
There has been attempts for a local community organisation to be formed to run things but HIE don't seem to like that idea
The Cairngorm area is great but it has suffered over the years from some poor decisions and dodgy individuals
Heading that way shortly :dance2:

Slioch

Free Member
Apr 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
When you say "to visit the mountain", you're doing the area an injustice. Coire na Ciste car park is a great location for access to the Cairngorm plateau, you could spend several days based there and not repeat a walk or a mountain.

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The last part of the road past the snow gates is not public. Used it many times in winter for access to the plateau and winter climbing at Sneach'da. Unless I've used the lifts or restaurant, always left a donation.
Thank God there's no hookup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back