Buy a French Orange SIM card (or guidance on alternative). (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I've forgotten to ask my friend living in France to get me an Orange SIM for my impending French trip. Now it's too late for her to get it for me (she's back in the UK).

Why Orange? I had one on holiday there last year, and we never not had internet, so experience says it's quite good.

I leave for France on Thursday morning (5am!) so -

1. how can I get a French data only SIM on Orange between now and then?

2. would anyone recommend another network that works nearly everywhere that I can get a sim for in time?

Might be worth noting that I have a Three SIM in there at the moment for the UK (with unlimited data), which has been brilliant.

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
I ve just been checking and I actually get 20gb a month for my 9 pounds sterling and literally halfway through our holiday I have used 11gb. The wife has 18 GB left.
I reckon I LL be watching the mighty toon on her phone spanking the arsenal.
Not quite as desperate as I thought
The match didn't quite work out as predicted.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just been to orange who will only do 12gb on a payg… sfr will do 120gb €21 a month but on a non contract subscription but you have to send a letter in to cancel and it has to come out of a French bank.. the girl was helpful and she directed me to a tabac shop to buy a data sim payg… haven’t been as it’s back where I just been and it’s a pain to park..
Will try a free shop when I pass one…😎

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Just been to orange who will only do 12gb on a payg… sfr will do 120gb €21 a month but on a non contract subscription but you have to send a letter in to cancel and it has to come out of a French bank.. the girl was helpful and she directed me to a tabac shop to buy a data sim payg… haven’t been as it’s back where I just been and it’s a pain to park..
The Free outlet actually has vending type machines where you just follow the on screen directions, its in French but not difficult to follow, just make up any address or use campsite address?
IMPORTANT
Before you leave the shop, make sure a member of staff has activated it for you. it wouldnt hurt to take the modem/phone with you so they can get it working there and then!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Go to a E.Leclerc and get a reglo sim, €5 for the sim plus €10 for 60gb or €15 for 100gb may still be doing the offer of 150gb.
Make sure you get customer service to register & enable, you will need passport and give your address as the nearest Aire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ll find something soon along my way, my Tesco data renews in 2 days time to 60gb again so I’ve got plenty of time…😎

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2012
wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Since 2013
Just find a French phone shop and go in and buy a Orange SIM. It worked for us but before you do that check your 3 SIM won’t work outside UK. Ours is working everywhere and currently in Croatia.
Have you checked your Three account? Their 'Go Roaming' plan now charges £2/day to allow the access abroad (unless your account was opened before October 2021), and irrespective of when you opened it caps monthly usage at 12Gb (which for most folk is nowhere near enough).

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Just an update regarding Reglomobile (leclerc supermarket SFR Network, ) they have changed their options, mostly for the good.
Broken Link Removed
Also you can still chop and change between the different options at will for the next billing peroid.
The only negative is that they have dropped the 1.95€/month option, which was good if you just wanted to keep your number when you are not in the country.

Upvote 0
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
I’ll find something soon along my way, my Tesco data renews in 2 days time to 60gb again so I’ve got plenty of time…😎
Are Tesco simis still giving you the full data abroad with no cap.. ?
Cheers
Kenny.

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
I used a Reglo one last October no problems with it.
€5 for the sim plus €10 for 60 GB or €20 for 150gb (maybe 100 there was a deal going).
Need to get it registered at the L' Eclerc information deask I found it impossible to do online.
Just purchased a Reglo SIM card from LeClerk in Southern France as per Lenny’s recommendation . Cashier requested passport and address as mentioned.
Inserted the sim into router, and bingo , all up and running as hoped for. 110gb, £14.50.
(although it shows 25 day’s remaining, rather than 30 days that I’d assumed)
Thanks for the tip.
PS - I had originally planned to buy the RWG mobile one, but decided against it after a few mixed reviews and hiccups. Maybe next time….

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
If you have a modern phone the Maya eSim is the way to go. It's brilliant and instant. No forms or complicated id to go through. All online.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back