• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Burstner Argos 747 (1 Viewer)

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
The Mrs and I are beginning the hunt for a Bursrner Argos 747. We are hoping to secure one at some point during 2019 preferably by september however we may have to extend that to find the right van.

The spec that the vehicle must have is as follows....
180bhp engine
5500kg upgraded chassis (from factory)
2013 or newer
Sub 25000 miles on clock.

The additional spec we would like (but is not a deal breaker is)
Post 2015 ducato facelift model
Upgraded 250l fresh water tank
Upgraded 120l diesel tank
Leather upholstry

Let me know if you have an Argos for sale that will suit us or if you see any advertised anywhere on the web (just in case I havent spotted them).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank You
for your post.

They are lovely, helpful people on this site .. I am sure that if they can help you they will go out of their way to do so. . despite the endless requests they get for all kinds of matters motorhome related . Once you find your mh it is the best club to join for all the problems that arise.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only comment I would make is if the van you find is a 2013 and has done less than 25k I would be a bit wary as it would indicate it has spent a lot of its life standing around. IMO much better to buy a van that has been used regularly. Most of the problems people get with Motorhome chassis is due to low milage and sitting around, the base vehicle is built to do 30K + a year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
In addition to the Argos, do consider a Dethleffs tag axle.
It’s a very similar spec to the 747 but offers either a fixed rear bed or a U shape lounge variant.
I set out looking at the Argos but was then torn between that and a Dethleffs A7870 / A7871.
I ended up buying a Euramobil Activa 820HS and out of everything I looked at this size and style, I’m suited I bought the Euramobil.

Good luck with your search and if I come across anything for you, I will let you know.

OP
OP
J

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
In addition to the Argos, do consider a Dethleffs tag axle.
It’s a very similar spec to the 747 but offers either a fixed rear bed or a U shape lounge variant.
I set out looking at the Argos but was then torn between that and a Dethleffs A7870 / A7871.
I ended up buying a Euramobil Activa 820HS and out of everything I looked at this size and style, I’m suited I bought the Euramobil.

Good luck with your search and if I come across anything for you, I will let you know.

Thanks I have been looking at the dethleffs tags as well and would certainly consider one if a 5500kg chassis one came available.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks I have been looking at the dethleffs tags as well and would certainly consider one if a 5500kg chassis one came available.
Mine has a 5000kg chassis and I uprated it through SV Tech. You need to check the type of tyres that’s fitted to see whether it can be done as a paper exercise, otherwise the only other way to uprate that chassis is to fit air suspension which then becomes expensive. Budget £1000 per wheel for if you’re negotiating on your purchase.

OP
OP
J

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
Mine has a 5000kg chassis and I uprated it through SV Tech. You need to check the type of tyres that’s fitted to see whether it can be done as a paper exercise, otherwise the only other way to uprate that chassis is to fit air suspension which then becomes expensive. Budget £1000 per wheel for if you’re negotiating on your purchase.

Thanks for that. I will bear that in mind. To be honest I think its best to make sure it has it for from the get go. We are planning on keeping the Argos for a long long time as our kids are just 5,3 and a bump so I will be making the vehicle perfect for us with gaslow, snipe dish, auto levelling struts etc etc which will all add weight so its a no compromise really.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Don,t know if this is of any interest to you not much info given in add might be worth exploring a little bit more

OP
OP
J

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
@GAVLAD could you elaborate a bit more about the tyre size and potential to up-rate the chassis on the burstner (alko) argos tag axle as this could mean that some vans that I would currently think are not meeting our search criteria are actually fine for us.

OP
OP
J

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
Don,t know if this is of any interest to you not much info given in add might be worth exploring a little bit more

thanks for sharing that. I have already contacted the dealer about that vehicle however I feel what they are asking is a bit rich due to the mileage of it. There are also a few features of the burstner that i prefer to the Dethleffs.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
@GAVLAD could you elaborate a bit more about the tyre size and potential to up-rate the chassis on the burstner (alko) argos tag axle as this could mean that some vans that I would currently think are not meeting our search criteria are actually fine for us.
Have you bought your van?
If so, contact SV Tech and enquiry about an uprate. They’ll need details from your log book and also details from your manufacturers plate and the converters plate for payload details.
If it’s a tag axle they’ll want confirmation of the factory fit suspension (they’ll explain what to look at) and they want your tyre details to ensure that the tyres fitted are up to the job.
As nobody changes the factory suspension unless it’s fitted with air suspension, to me that is a straight forward confirmation of what’s fit, where as your tyres may have been changed to a different type since new.
They’ll then do the maths and advise if you can uprate and what you need to do.
If you haven’t bought your van, I’d be asking myself do you really need that extra little payload?
Is getting that extra payload worth the extra outlay?
Just because it’s a tag axle doesn’t mean it will take a load more weight.
You can’t load the garage up and put bikes on the back and not expect to be over - it still needs distributing across the van. Tag axles are low at the front end. Dethleffs are low all round on their tags if you look at any photos.
If I was looking again I’d buy a van with double wheels each side of the rear single axle and forgo any difference of payload. Or better still, pack less stuff that we don’t really need.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
rember tag axles are eye wateringly expensive on continental toll roads. With small children i assume your still working and may be restricted on time to get to the places you want

OP
OP
J

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
We are both still working and will be for a long time yet as we are both just 36. I really dont want to compromise on payload or having a proper double floor. I know what your saying about the twin wheels but the only 5+ berth moho I can think of like that is the dethleffs globetrotter xxl and we just dont have £150k to spend.

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Burstner 821i is almost identical but has spinny seats which I find very useful.

OP
OP
J

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
Sadly not enough berths of seatbelts. which is a shame as i love my A-class's

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun