Bumper repair/replace? (1 Viewer)

Cat and Paul

Free Member
Aug 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MF
Exp
Hi, first post here, but I have really valued all the advice I've picked up from you all from reading posts, so hoping you can help me out.

We have a Knaus Sky Ti 650 2014 motorhome which we got last summer. At some point a couple of weeks ago, someone damaged the rear right bumper. It's normally stored on our drive, but was out on the road for a couple of days whilst we had some work done on the house. There were light brown stains on it which looked like they could be blood, and I think something heavy has fallen/been dropped onto the top of the bumper piece.

However it happened, we now are trying to decide what to do. I've had a quote for a replacement part, including VAT and delivery from Germany with an 8+ week lead time, but not including fitting, for £370. I've also had a quote from a mobile spray/body repair shop for £450 including the respray.

It doesn't look as though the bumper part has loosened on it's fittings, so it's largely cosmetic from what I can see? Photos attached.

Any advice welcomed, including thoughts on whether the repair quote was realistic or overpriced? I'm quite good at fixing things, but this is probably a bit out of my league unless it's just applying glue or tape! On the other hand, I do like a challenge and learning new skills!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_114405255.jpg
    IMG_20210704_114405255.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210704_114411704_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210704_114411704_HDR.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 37
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
but was out on the road for a couple of days whilst we had some work done on the house. There were light brown stains on it which looked like they could be blood, and I think something heavy has fallen/been dropped onto the top of the bumper piece.
That's rotten luck.
Parts from abroad generally appear to be on long lead times.
As you said it must've been something heavy and the light brown stains could've come from a lump of treated wood...............and you've builders at your house.......:unsure:

I guess if you're making an insurance claim it'll only cost you the excess plus a hike in next year's premium even with a 'protected' no claim bonus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cat and Paul

Free Member
Aug 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MF
Exp
Hadn't decided on the insurance claim element yet - rather depends on the cost of the repair. The brown stains wipe straight off - suspect wood paint wouldn't do that?

We're in south Leicestershire, so Hastings is a bit far. But I'll definitely get another quote.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back