Budget (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
I know this is a hard one but please try and help. What would you guys and gals say is a good idea for a budget for a camper.
A few things about us so it may help.
We would be living in it 6+months a year. (not weekends away)
It would need to be reliable as it would be driving to and from Spain. There would only be the two of us and a small dog.
Obviously we would like a shower and separate bedroom if poss, as we tend to go to bed at different times.
This would not need to be a brand new camper, may be one that would be in line for its first MOT, and depending on the condition/mileage no older than 6 years. We both have granddad clauses on our UK licences.
In the winter The Camper would be Parked up and we would head indoors. In sunny Spain LOL

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
a good budget is one where you can buy exactly what you want, the newer the vehicle, the more it will depreciate in value over a given period BUT the more likely it is to have 'mod cons' - the more you live in it the more wear and tear will occur.

is it a camper youre looking for or a motorhome?

you can pick up lots of used motorhomes at good prices - private sales can be good or bad but you might pick up a bargain as anyone looking to part exchange would take a price higher then the dealer has offered but lower than its value.

I think you need to identify the specs you want in a vehicle - which may lead you to what your budget should be

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Your budget is somewhere between the amount you can afford to spend and the amount that you are prepared to spend. Then you have to decide whether that will buy the vehicle that you found. If it will not a wise person lowers his sights, a foolish one ups the "budget".

Here endeth the first lesson.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
I think you need to identify the specs you want in a vehicle - which may lead you to what your budget should be

Guess Its a Motor Home we want. one that was built as a motor home not one thats been built from a van.
Never had a camper or a Motor Home this will be our first.
As for specs sorry but how do you mean one in the living area ie telly 4 ring cooker or ones in the driving bit ie engine sat nav?

Upvote 0

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
It's a hard one to call in that if you go for an older vehicle, it may have all of the features you require at a reasonable price, but maintenance and reliability could be an issue so it could be a false economy. Nobody wants to buy a lemon!

In your situation, I would spend as much as you feel you can afford and hopefully get many years reliable service out of it.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
In my opinion layout is the most important thing, a space that you can live in and works for you. Then its the goodies, big fridge or fridge freezer, oven, two, three or four ring cooker, fixed bed or make up bed etc. Go and look at lots of vans at dealers, don't buy, then see what your budget will buy you.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Go to a few motorhome dealers have a good look around all the different models & see which you think you would like

Then hire one similar & try it for a weekend

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As you develop your ideas about what you can or can't do without by looking closely at what's available in your price range, you will probably find that the budget you started with increases by about 50% to buy a van you really like.

Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I agree with Nasher, be a “tyre kicker” for a while, visiting sellers in your local area, even going to the big shows, the NEC has one soon. There are also shows dotted throughout the year that might fit in with your lifestyle. Once you’ve decided on a size, style, layout, berths etc. Hire one, many give back the hire fee if buying from them. Read through messages on here whilst your doing your research, you’ll get an idea of those brands that may have more issues than other brands. Also what you start out wanting is likely to change from start of research to buying. Good luck, it’s a great hobby.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you can run to it I would suggest looking at the Hymer range and import a used one from the continent you will get more for your money and it would be a LHD most are well insulated with good payloads and for what it’s worth IMHO they are quality vans.(y)(y)(y)
Link Removed

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Never had a camper or a Motor Home this will be our first.
As for specs sorry but how do you mean one in the living area ie telly 4 ring cooker or ones in the driving bit ie engine sat nav?
Visit dealers, visit dealers, spend many hours browsing on eBay. At the very least you'll get an idea of what you don't want.

Obviously we would like a shower and separate bedroom if poss, as we tend to go to bed at different times.
Not sure what you mean; not TWO bedrooms surely? Unless you have a very large m/h anyone turning in early won't be very insulated from the noise/lights of someone still up.
Frankly, if you aren't aware of the decisions that need to be made to suit yourselves and can't define your priorities others can't do it for you. o_O I suggest you start by making a list in priority (what you think you must have) order for your ideal m/h. You can modify it as you become more aware/realistic.
Have you downloaded Jim's buying guide?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Why a Hymer? are they one of the best. Why Import one?

there are various views on which one is the best and hymers do have a very good reputation. you can compare prices if you go on 'european' sellers websites you can get an idea of cost comparisons, I would go further and look at 'european' auction sites, ebay of sll countries, leboncoin is petty good for france and I'm sure there are lots of others.
most Hymers are 'A@ class, which relates to the cab/driving position - have you sat in any motorhomes yet? I don't like the driving position in 'A' class motorhomes but other people (a lot of people) have and alternative view.

as for importing, I don't know what that entails, how easy it is etc but if there is money to be saved, why not do some research?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Why a Hymer? are they one of the best. Why Import one?
Well as I said it’s only my opinion and if you read my post I gave a few reasons why and gave a link to mobile.de you pays your money and makes your choice from our experience now on second Hymer both imported after two Auto trails have found them to suit our needs in storage, payload and reliability and price.(y)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
A lot to think about. We are off on our hols soon. Driving to Portsmouth to catch a Ferry. Will have a look at a few dealers on way. Then get out the country for a cooling down period LOL. and if any one on here is on the Portsmouth/Santander Ferry on Sat will bore them with what we have seen and watch there face LOL. Will work on the must have list

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
In terms of budget, especially where hobbies are concerned, you may well find that it consumes all you have (if you let it). But those who spend most do not necessarily gain as much satisfaction as those who spend the least.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have you read Jim's guide to buyng a motorhome, free on here to subscribers?
We also have differing sleep patterns, first van was a 6 berth rear lounge middle dinette and overcab. i had overcab and john the rear lounge. However no outside locker so chairs, cables etc had to kept in the van, usually in the bathroom so could be a faff.
Present van has overcab bed and overgarage bed. works just as well this time John has the overcab, its next to the TV (not my idea of fun) and aso handy for a socket for his CPAP. Lovely big garage so no need to use inside space for equipment.
We also hired before we bought and had spent years looking at vans before we bought our first. I had previously owned small motorhomes.
Enjoy the search sit in the seats, try toilet out (not literally) for ease of use. Lie on the beds are they long enough? Easily accessible? lots to think about but that is part of the pleasure enjoy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hire one! Got us thinking may look in to buying a cheapish one and a note pad. Then right down what we like and dont like also what we need in a MH. The reason we say buy would we would be right on the next ferry to Spain LOL Dont fancy taking a hire one on a ferry (dont know if its allowed) But then would be worried of MH breaking down in Spain

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Anywhere between £1 and £100000 depending on wether you want to spend your time in a pile of junk or something with a bit of luxury. I certainly know what I would rather have. As for breaking down you will probably have more trouble in this tin pot Country of ours than in Spain.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

¿Por qué querría hacer eso? Lo que tiene que ofrecer España. Aparte de un poco de sol extra

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Nobody else has answered your question so i will.

£17,467

But seriously, if you went with your last idea of buying one, trying it for the winter, then working out what you want, it sounds like a plan. Motorhomes dont tend to lose too much value unless you buy from a dealer and sell back to a dealer on part exchange ? Would that be you?
If it is i would save the £5-15k you just spent to "hire" a probably unsuitable van for a year and get round the sales rooms, rallies, looking at ebay etc. The more you stay on this site the more advice you can get, and some of it is actually good advice!

If i were buying my first motor home knowing what I think i know now for using it how you describe i would do the salesroom ebay etc.

I would look at layouts, then when having seen them i would ask on here, what are the pros and cons of a xxxxxxx or yyyyyyyy ?

Then look at layout, layout and layout, other considerations would be, diesel/petrol, LHD/RHD, Solars, batteries, payload and payload and once again PAYLOAD (please see numerous threads and note your driving licence capabilities and age) Buying from home/europe (B word not mentioned)
The what will be your method of transport when down there, do you need a scooter or towing a car ?

That should narrow your thoughts down a bit and then you can think about the budget I have allowed you. :D

No more Corrie or Eastenders, get on the computer and start fathoming out that lot. Oooooh garage or no garage, if garage high or low bed, A class or coach built. dropdown bed rear lounge, big fridge, oven, microwave captains chairs, step inside or out, LH or RH Hab door.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Going back to hymer------- not all vans are built the same, Hymer, cathago and neismann+Bischoff to name a few are all constructed from foam sandwich panels, this might not sound significant to you?? But a water leak------- (all too common) in a van constructed with a wood frame very quickly leads to massive problems-------- the main reason you should have a damp meter with you when looking at vans!!!!! IMHO you shouldn't regard age as a major factor.
As already said decide what layout you want/need------- for example, a fixed rear bed over a garage immediately gives you a place for one to get 'away' and at the same time a very big usefull storage space!!!
There are so many variations on van specs and layouts, take your time and do plenty of research!!
I think that the latest vans/chassis are so complicated electronicly that there is a plus side for earlier motorhomes!!!!
Any van can breakdown---- always have good European breakdown cover!!
Good luck with your choice !!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back