Brown "dots" on paintwork. How do I clean them off? (1 Viewer)

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
I know this is difficult from a photo on a forum, but here goes.....

After a few trips away in our new MoHo, I gave her a "big" clean today. Every bit of the outside has been thoroughly washed, dried, cleaned and washed again. After the million dead flies and black tar stains, I am left with some brown dots/spots that I can't seem to get rid of. I have tried soapy water, bug/tar remover and dry cleaner to no avail.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks
Dean

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 148

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Are they outside the paintwork (you can feel them when running fingertips over them) or embedded in it? Just wondering if they could be "picked" off without damaging the surface.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Are they outside the paintwork (you can feel them when running fingertips over them) or embedded in it? Just wondering if they could be "picked" off without damaging the surface.

Thanks for that. I canā€™t feel a difference when running fingers over. Tried my nail, but no joy.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Have you tried polish. The chemicals in it dissolve tar in my experience, which was driving a very clean Moho over and newly tarred road for many miles šŸ˜©šŸ˜©šŸ˜©šŸ˜©šŸ˜©. It took time but removed all eventually.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you all. More elbow grease tomorrow and will report back.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We have similar on the older Plastic D-G window Frames at home, allegedly it is the chemicals from Fly Poo,!! that has over time degraded the surface. Tiny Brown/Black spots?.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
We have similar on the older Plastic D-G window Frames at home, allegedly it is the chemicals from Fly Poo,!! that has over time degraded the surface. Tiny Brown/Black spots?.

Interesting. It is only a few months old, but anything is possible!

Thanks for the idea.
BigDean

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It could be fly blight but could also be a type of sulphur from the atmosphere. either way it needs to be removed quickly

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
It could be many things, our company prepares new and used vehicles for sale, we occasionally see this, usually on white cars. We try various products to remove the spots, degreaser for tar, paint thinners for paint spots, often a machine compound is the answer but this must be done carefully so as to prevent damage. If you donā€™t solve the problem see if you have a local mobile smart repairer who would take a look.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Has anyone been angle grinding near your van?
As a last resort you could try some Tcut which should get rid of it if it's only on the surface.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back