Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Hi all,
My driver's door mirror got hit on Friday evening by a van coming in the opposite direction who took a bend too fast so veered to my side of the road. My motorhome is a 2006 Mobilvetta C class based on a Peugeot Boxer (the model before the 250's)
Basically the cast aluminium arm has snapped inside the mirror casing. This is bolted on to the main arms, so does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the mirror rather than the whole assembly as the whole assembly seems to cost around £350.00. If their not available new does anyone know where I might buy a second hand one?
Attached are a few pictures of the mirror which is a manually adjusted heated one although it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't heated.
Many thanks
Clive

Attachments

• IMG_20210801_134917.jpg
    IMG_20210801_134917.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210801_134810.jpg
    IMG_20210801_134810.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210801_134756.jpg
    IMG_20210801_134756.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 51

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Do you know anyone with a tig welder
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Anyone tried that stuff you shine an ultraviolet light on?

OP
OP
C

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Do you know anyone with a tig welder
Broken Link Removed
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the suggestion but as the unit is 15 years old there is a fair amount of oxidisation so I'm not sure it could be welded. Also as the breaks are right inside the mirror casing I don't know whether I could extract it to get it welded!
Cheers Clive

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Try these they sorted an alternative replacement for an A class Hymer i had wiped out on Skye a couple of years ago and saved me £400.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the suggestion but as the unit is 15 years old there is a fair amount of oxidisation so I'm not sure it could be welded. Also as the breaks are right inside the mirror casing I don't know whether I could extract it to get it welded!
Cheers Clive
once the mirror glass is off its just a few screws to undo and the two to remove bracket from arm then you can remove the bracket and swap or repair it

OP
OP
C

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Clive Haycock this was meant for you.
Thanks, I'd already looked at the non electric version of this but unfortunately I don't know think it would work as the arms are only 130mm long whereas the existing ones are at least 200mm when fully extended so I think allI would probably see is the side of the body rather than the traffic etc behind!

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Thanks, I'd already looked at the non electric version of this but unfortunately I don't know think it would work as the arms are only 130mm long whereas the existing ones are at least 200mm when fully extended so I think allI would probably see is the side of the body rather than the traffic etc behind!
I don't get traffic behind is your problem its the stuff coming at you need to be wary of 🤣

OP
OP
C

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
once the mirror glass is off its just a few screws to undo and the two to remove bracket from arm then you can remove the bracket and swap or repair it
Thanks & I've had a quick look this afternoon but it's not clear as to how the mirror glass is removed so I'd probably end up breaking it!. The mirror housing part is just attached by a 6mm bolt on each arm so if I can source the mirror housing part it should only take 30 minutes to replace it.
Cheers Clive

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Think yourself lucky that it can be replaced relatively cheaply. The ones fitted to our van are £1500 a side and I nearly lost one to a stupid kid on a motorbike recently. If I hadn't swerved into a hedge and taken some scratches, he would have wiped out the drivers corner completely. As it was, he bumped the van with his arm, wobbled and sped off. First thing I checked when I next stopped was for damage to the mirror. Fortunately it was just pushed round and easily swung back to position

OP
OP
C

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
Think yourself lucky that it can be replaced relatively cheaply. The ones fitted to our van are £1500 a side and I nearly lost one to a stupid kid on a motorbike recently. If I hadn't swerved into a hedge and taken some scratches, he would have wiped out the drivers corner completely. As it was, he bumped the van with his arm, wobbled and sped off. First thing I checked when I next stopped was for damage to the mirror. Fortunately it was just pushed round and easily swung back to position
Ouch £1500 each!! I take it yours is an A class with the big mirrors like are fitted to some coaches? I agree mine are cheaper especially if I can just replace just the mirror enclosure itself. Otherwise to buy the whole assembly is in excess of £350 to get like for like so it matches the nearside mirror.
In my case it happened so quickly & I had nowhere to go as there was a stone wall rather than a hedge!

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I was looking on You Tube very recently and found a site where someone dismanted the mirror- showing clearly how to remove the "mirrors" sorry but dont know how to link it
Had one of ours similar busted years ago and that was about £200 at that time. Wing Mirror man seems a fair deal
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back