Broken down in Wittlich (1 Viewer)

Stoodlemming

Free Member
Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
Well, our trip to Netherlands/Germany/ Switzerland was going nicely- thanks to everyone who advised on the boiler - but now we are stranded. The engine advisory light came on, and we conked out.

After a bit of a rigmarole, we are on the forecourt of a Fiat garage, but tomorrow is a Bank Holiday in Germany, so we are stuck till at least Thursday. The insurance people say they will get a hire car to us in the morning. Any suggestions for what we could do in the area while we wait? We are NE of Trier, and I know nothing about Germany, except for the Boppard area of the Rhine which we visited on the way south.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Seem to be a lot of historical monuments in Trier, dating from Roman times. Ditto museums. There’s a Tourist Info centre ( the statue of Karl Marx is behind it) I’m sure they’ll have leaflets and maps, and probably advise you what is best to visit.
Trier is in a wine growing area, so maybe a vineyard visit?

Hope your Moho can be fixed quickly.

OP
OP
S

Stoodlemming

Free Member
Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
Vineyards sound good! I wonder if they open on Bank Holidays? I've also found some possible walking trails, but I'm a bit cautious about leaving a hire car in an isolated spot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Stoodlemming

Free Member
Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
The insurance company have just said they will get the car here - at midnight! We are both larks, definitely not owls. I'm not sure if I'm laughing or becoming hysterical!

OP
OP
S

Stoodlemming

Free Member
Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
We are still in Wittlich.
The garage have run diagnostics, say we have no compression, and tell us it will be 15 days before they can work on it. So our breakdown insurance will be repatriating the van.
We are waiting for the hire car to be sorted out again. The one we have can't be left outside Germany, so they are trying to organise a swap to one that can be left at the Hook of Holland.

On the bright side, we had a pleasant day along the Moselle yesterday. We also found a wood museum, run by lovely people with no English at all. Admission, tea and large slices of cheesecake totalled only €10.60 It is at Hunsruck https://www.outdooractive.com/en/poi/hunsrueck/hunsrueck-wood-museum/2797170/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back