Britstops - first time (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
On our way down to Peterborough, we had nothing booked so decided to try Britstops for the first time. The first one we tried on the outskirts of Belper (514 in the Britstops book), was on too much of a slope and I could not get level so moved on. The second one (512), was closed presumably because it was after 5pm on a Bank Holiday but the third one (513), we decided to stay at and what a good stop it turned out to be. Had a great meal and a couple of drinks. The publican was very friendly and helpful and the big car park was ideal for a quiet and restful night's sleep.

I would much rather spend on good food and some drinks than on an expensive campsite for just a one night stay whilst in transit so will definitely use my book again.:thumb:

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I also stopped at a Brit Stops site for the first time last week.
Southey, halfway between Lincoln and Boston in Lincolnshire.
Good pub with good food next to The Rail Trail cycle track.
We will definitlely use the book again.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We regularly use the Wheatsheaf just where the M6 Toll Road joins the M6 - great food, excellent car park - they even have an electric hookup!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Meal and drink may cost more than a campsite - but then add on the cost of the food you would have bought, the gas to cook it and heat the water for the washing up! Unless there's more than two of you there's probably not much in it, and as a solo traveller I'd most likely be better off.

Reactions: kcy

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Don't you find meal and drink actually costs more than a campsite ? Fine if you had planned to eat out that night anyway but to me not a cheap option .
With BritStops you pay to buy the book of sites, but are not under any obligation to spend money and the establishment should not insist that you do. So it can be a free night, I've had many as I'm not keen on eating on my own. I did however, spend money in a farm shop stopover though as the products were so good.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I understand you are not under an obligation to buy but I would not feel comfortable . Two pub meals and two drinks to me seems more expensive than a camp site if I remember prices correctly . And cooking in the van is not too bad price wise . Especially if you can do M&S £10 meal deal !! Love it when in UK !

Catzur I understand if you travel alone it us a good option :)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Before we discovered britstops we stayed overnight at cc site in Folkstone before going to the tunnel. £30 then had a really nice meal in nearby pub £40. Its a tradition with us that we have a meal out before the ferry or channel tunnel. Its been a lot cheaper since britstop!!

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I use cls when possible.I look at it as a overnight stop.If cls don't get used they won't be around forever.imop

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Before we discovered britstops we stayed overnight at cc site in Folkstone before going to the tunnel. £30 then had a really nice meal in nearby pub £40. Its a tradition with us that we have a meal out before the ferry or channel tunnel. Its been a lot cheaper since britstop!!

£30 for a CC site !! I have never paid anything near that on their sites. Are you sure it wasn't a mistake !

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
And because it was school holidays no concession, god knows what it would have been without membership

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
My goodness . Never paid that ! Just checked Black Horse site during holidays and 2 adults and van come out £22.50. I would never have been happy to pay £30 either !!

We don't tend to eat out much when visiting the UK as find it very expensive but as said do love M&S £10 deal :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Julie's just looked at her credit card account , two nights at gravelines, 6 euros a night have converted to £4.89 one night and £4.90the next that's something like(y)(y);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back