Bring Home the Bacon (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2017
Stamford , Lincs.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750 FLC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, After being at the Motorhome show Stoneleigh, Warwickshire I just realised I’ve been accepting drab supermarket Bacon and meats . The show ground has a on site Farm shop that does meals , so I had a full English and the Bacon , sausage and even black pudding were to die for ,that was on the Saturday so thought I would go for Sunday Roast , unfortunately they were sold out so had to settle for hog roast pork, crackling and apple sauce yum,yum ! top marks !
Did any of you funsters have the Sunday Roast ? What was it like ?

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
If I cook breakfast I put my baked beans in the frying pan with the bacon and the bacon fat adds extra flavour to the beans. Six rashers and beans on a couple of fried slices and I'm ready to face the day.

Call me a health freak if you like, it's just the way I am.

Deleted User
I spend ten months of the year in mainland Europe, mostly Portugal, and whilst pre packed frozen, slimy back bacon is available I prefer decent, fatty bacon with the rind on.

I now cure my own bacon and ham using dry cure salts from a UK company and the excellent pork available, especially in Portugal. A bit time consuming, rubbing in the salt, turning every now and again, but plenty of that available when retired:)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Whilst I love a good fry up I have an aversion to fat (my rather rotund size would suggest otherwise). Maybe I'm finding bacon in the wrong stores but I always find whenever cooking there is an excess of blubbery liquid released. Frying is thus a no no so I end up grilling which rules out my current travelling method. When you've only got the one gas burner in your tent that means a frying pans and sausages with an egg in a nice large bap.

Call me a health freak if you like, it's just the way I am.
Fixed for you :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I always find whenever cooking there is an excess of blubbery liquid released.
I understand that's due to added water (and salt/preservative) so that the sides of bacon can be frozen solid, making them easier to be skinned and mechanically sliced into neat rashers.
My village butcher sells delicious 'Up the Chimney' locally air dried/smoked bacon but for me they could do with a bit more fat on them.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Bacon from Booker cash and carry cooks very well
Nice thick slices
Ferry fatty
And tastes good too

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Whilst I love a good fry up I have an aversion to fat (my rather rotund size would suggest otherwise). Maybe I'm finding bacon in the wrong stores but I always find whenever cooking there is an excess of blubbery liquid released. Frying is thus a no no so I end up grilling which rules out my current travelling method. When you've only got the one gas burner in your tent that means a frying pans and sausages with an egg in a nice large bap.

Fixed for you :D

Use this type of pan

Amazon product ASIN B071JF9Y7H
and then finish off in a very hot basic frying pan. Crisps up lovely

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find with supermarket bacon with loads of added water the bezt thing is fry for aminute each side which brings outmost of the water then using a fish slice to hold thebacon in the pan pour the water and white froth into the sink. Then it can be fried normally

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I find with supermarket bacon with loads of added water the bezt thing is fry for aminute each side which brings outmost of the water then using a fish slice to hold thebacon in the pan pour the water and white froth into the sink. Then it can be fried normally
That or you end up with boiled bacon

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
My local butcher cures his own bacon and will slice it to any thickness you ask for. He is also old school (albeit relatively young) and will only buy pigs with a good layer of fat for his bacon. No blubbery water when frying , and a fantastic taste.
He's also a beer drinking companion of mine and uses me as a Guinea pig to test various meaty things on (ooer Mrs) ;)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I ‘air dry’ soggy supermarket bacon by opening the packet and wrapping the contents in a piece of kitchen paper towel.

Leave it in the fridge open-topped, the bacon slowly dries out and all the gunk stays in the towel (which can be replaced periodically)

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Worth saying that the streaky bacon should be cooked(any method) for about two hours until it could only be picked up (without crumbling to dust) by a skilled brain surgeon.

PS The very very very best bacon sandwich has three slices of bread with the middle piece fried. Due to health reasons you can only have this once a year on your birthday. Seriously these are amazing with any bacon you like! ? ? ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back