Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
I'm thinking of making my ducato more secure and was just wondering if we all get over paranoid when it comes to security like we do with axle weights and mopeds :sneaky:
How many of us have experienced motorhome break-ins while away?
I personally have not, including trips to Italy (including Milan and the Pisa) france, germany, Austria, Spain, Holland .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We haven’t,but only been at it a couple of years.
It would be interesting to know the statistics for moho break-ins,compared to houses.
Insurance companies would know,but no reason why they should tell us.:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think we can only do our best to deter the thief. If it looks iffy we move, don't leave items of value on display etc. If a thief wants in they will get in and might damage your van even more with added security. Its a lottery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Never has a break in in many years and only our last 2 Van's had alarms. We are always careful and don't take valuables with us, but they wouldn't know that until they break in. We do always use sites, and lock doors. We tend to stay away from big cities so it may be worse there.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Only problem we ever had was an attempted theft of our bikes frm the carrier in the middle of the night. This was on a C&MC site. The theft was prevented by the chains we had round the bikes. I started to chase the guy but lost him in the fog. Police were involved, he was a known local thief.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We’ve been broken into whilst asleep. We were on the sea front in Spain. A long thin implement pushed up under the door lock. My handbag taken. The door was opened and amazingly shut again. Something disturbed my husband and he got up to find the fiat display lit up on the dashboard. At the time, we couldn’t figure out what had gone on. We found the doors unlocked but closed and I just accused him of not setting the Fiat locks from the dashboard switch, so we pressed the switch and they locked and we went back to sleep!
Next day, when I needed my purse, I discovered my bag was missing and then it all fell into place and I discovered the imperceptible ding under the door lock.
I now know how to set the alarm whilst immobilising the interior motion detectors.
We have fitted proplates around the door handles.
We had been MHing for 10 years in all sorts of places without problem so very complacent !
We had not had any alcohol and we were not gassed. (We haven’t had one of those threads for a while!) but it just shows how you cannot imagine how someone could do that whilst we were asleep. Just a PVC Ducato so not a huge space.

OP
OP
R1guy

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
We’ve been broken into whilst asleep. We were on the sea front in Spain. A long thin implement pushed up under the door lock. My handbag taken. The door was opened and amazingly shut again. Something disturbed my husband and he got up to find the fiat display lit up on the dashboard. At the time, we couldn’t figure out what had gone on. We found the doors unlocked but closed and I just accused him of not setting the Fiat locks from the dashboard switch, so we pressed the switch and they locked and we went back to sleep!
Next day, when I needed my purse, I discovered my bag was missing and then it all fell into place and I discovered the imperceptible ding under the door lock.
I now know how to set the alarm whilst immobilising the interior motion detectors.
We have fitted proplates around the door handles.
We had been MHing for 10 years in all sorts of places without problem so very complacent !
We had not had any alcohol and we were not gassed. (We haven’t had one of those threads for a while!) but it just shows how you cannot imagine how someone could do that whilst we were asleep. Just a PVC Ducato so not a huge space.
What a horrible experience, it is the door handle plates along with heosoulution locks which possibly could have stopped your attack.
However they may just have smashed the window or forced a plastic one if they really wanted.
You can't stop them, just slow them down. Or move them onto some other target ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The door handle plates or the heosafe locks (as long as locked from inside) would have prevented it. I am not a fan of barricading myself inside and I blame myself for not learning how the alarm worked.
The next night we did go to a site, Villanova Park near Barcelona but we hated it so the following night back on an aire again outside Barcelona. The experience didn’t put us off at all.
We were not frightened at the time because we didn’t know it was going on !
I agree, when leaving the MH parked up to go out for the day, then all the locks and alarms will not stop them especially with those plastic windows. I’m still casual about leaving it, otherwise no point going away on holiday if all you are going to do is worry.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Although we have been burgled twice at home while we were asleep upstairs we have been fortunate
With the motorhome,
I have fitted deadlocks to the two doors and the alarm system is on with additional blue LEDs in the windows,
These are visible even with the blinds down.
Being a A class I retract the step and the plastic side windows are a good five feet off the ground so would be very difficult to climb through without waking us,
Also have a metal safe bolted to the chassis, ( I won’t say where (y) ) that the valuables are locked in,

We laugh about the last burglary we had, after the insurance claim for all the stolen items was being processed and three weeks after the Burglary, My sister in law who was staying with us asked me were the Hoover was? The buggers had taken our new Dyson and my good wife hadn’t noticed, I still ribbed her about it,
Had to get on to the insurance to get it included in the claim,

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Caggsie1 it was Chester Fairoaks, near Ellesmere Port, about three years ago when returning home from France.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Get yourselves a yappy little terrier (y)
How do I get this to bark...? ?

BB-W Wooden baseball bat size 28''

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Get yourselves a yappy little terrier (y)
I think I’d rather be broken into ??? .....

but seriously for a moment, I think the follow up question I’d like answering ... how many people have had their perimeter alarm armed and set, with flashing lights going, and still been broken into?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We have been burgled whist asleep in the van. It hasn't changed the way we use the van, though. Just very inconvenient and rather costly. If you start getting nervous about these things, it could spoil the enjoyment.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
We have been burgled whist asleep in the van. It hasn't changed the way we use the van, though. Just very inconvenient and rather costly. If you start getting nervous about these things, it could spoil the enjoyment.

Any alarm set?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Now the problem with that is that it would be classed as an offensive weapon and therefore you could be done for attempted murder technically I guess (I’m not a lawyer) however, 3 or 4 lb of magilite torch which I need to see whose at the door, now that’s a different matter entirely! :giggle: :unsure:
image.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I went a bit OTT in our first van and fitted pro-plates, heosafe deadlocks, it already had an alarm which we set at night, alloy wheel locks, a locking clamp over the valuable bit of the exhaust pipe and window alarms and for good measure fitted rape alarms to the roof lights in case anyone felt like dropping in on us. Never had a problem but we avoided motorway service areas in any country and picked and chose where we stopped at night.

In the A class we have a Vanbitz alarm and all the gadgets and that's been enough so far!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Any alarm set?
No, were were rather tired and went to bed with valuables left on the table(!) We do try to set it if we feel vulnerable, but are generally trusting of fellow citizens.

I had previously decided that I would attack any intruder with the intention of collecting DNA but now realise how ineffective that would be:
To be alert enough to do anything sensible if woken from a deep sleep.
To be able to get out of bed with any speed or degree of surprise.
To be able to see the culprit without spectacles on.
To attack without a suitable weapon to hand.
I would not have any footwear or clothing to chase anyone outside.
They may retaliate and be much fitter than me.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We've been camping, caravanning and motorhoming all our lives. Never been broken into or robbed. Sometimes its just bad luck , sometimes stupidity. We met a couple in Spain once who couldn't believe that we'd never been robbed. They'd been robbed about 3 times. They were also surprised that we locked and alarmed the motorhome when we went for showers or toilet! As we were talking, the woman was going for a shower and the husband was running to catch her up, their caravan door was wide open. Ernesto makes a good point and we feel even more secure with the Growler alarm system. However we never feel smug about it and are always conscious of threats.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have been lucky I suppose we often use aires but never had a problem. I have thought about fitting some flashing blue leds must get around to it

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Took a picture of this van last night because I noted his security. Fiamia locks on all the windows.....is this a step too far?

Attachments

• 53A7DBF9-1157-4071-B590-D4DDEC5C41A0.jpeg
    53A7DBF9-1157-4071-B590-D4DDEC5C41A0.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 111

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We've been camping, caravanning and motorhoming all our lives. Never been broken into or robbed. Sometimes its just bad luck , sometimes stupidity. We met a couple in Spain once who couldn't believe that we'd never been robbed. They'd been robbed about 3 times. They were also surprised that we locked and alarmed the motorhome when we went for showers or toilet! As we were talking, the woman was going for a shower and the husband was running to catch her up, their caravan door was wide open. Ernesto makes a good point and we feel even more secure with the Growler alarm system. However we never feel smug about it and are always conscious of threats.
i agree that we should take more care. Also try not to look more affluent/attractive to thieves.
It's a sad reflection on today's society but there you are. I used to have an old farm house with barns and a workshop, none of which were ever locked, and never lost anything from them. Always try to keep them locked, alarmed and have cctv running now.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Took a picture of this van last night because I noted his security. Fiamia locks on all the windows.....is this a step too far?
We were on an aire once when a van came really late at night he had been to a restaurant and came out to find his van had been broken into they had a lot of damage as they had fiamma locks like that fitted and the doorframe was badly damaged when it was prised off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back