Bordeaux (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Passed around Bordeaux many times but never visited, so thought we might give it a go this year. Can anyone recommend campsites that are handy for the city and any recommendations for places to visit, restaurants to eat at etc. Many thanks.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
people that go to the twin lakes meet in montendre catch a train direct into the town, so no reason you couldnt do that as the site is open all year, also loads of aires around that area.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Stayed at above a couple of times and it is very peaceful and friendly. I would recommend it as well. (y)

I never travelled to the city so can't comment regarding access from here.

http://www.twinlakesfrance.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Stayed at a vineyard in St Emillion 2 years ago free if you buy at least 6 bottles and a good evening meal at the nearby truck stop. Can look up the details if you are interested

May 21, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair
Exp
Since 2010
I'd also recommend Camping Le Village du Lac. Stayed there a few times. You have the option of a camping pitch or aire type pitch. Not much difference in price as I remember but @ 12m long I was able to park on aire with trailer still hooked up Good restaurant on site. Bus stop at gate takes you to tram stop (tram tickets for sale at campsite I think) City bike hire thingy (sorry, don't know the definition) available at the gate also, but tram only 20 (ish) min walking distance anyway.
Love Bordeaux, can recommend restaurant Le Entrecôte ( nr tourist office) as featured in Rick Stein's city breaks.
Also Vinopolis wine museum. Go early as a day won't really do it justice.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Lovely city with a fantastic tram service.

Bordeaux didn't suffer any bombing in WW2 so it has a host of beautiful buildings through a range of periods.

It is, of course, full of French people which might put some off visiting.;)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
@Fenman - a similarcomment to para 3 could be applied to parts of the United (sic) Kingdom.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If youre visiting the area and NOT just Bordeaux the citadel of Blaye is well worth a visit. Theres a free aire with free electricity, water and waste disposal and wc just outside Blaye at a vineyard ..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If youre visiting the area and NOT just Bordeaux the citadel of Blaye is well worth a visit. Theres a free aire with free electricity, water and waste disposal and wc just outside Blaye at a vineyard ..
I would suggest that as well but he did say Bordeaux so didn't but it is one of our favourites.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Blaye is well worth a visit, the château mentioned by Mr B is a really nice stop.Its an old vineyard with new owners ,and in this case the"tour" is worth doing.
Charming hosts and off road cycling for miles.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I should have added that a bit closer to Bordeaux, the château at Blanquefort is another great stop,with easy access to Bordeaux on a cycle path, or by tram.
Only about 9 miles to the airport!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I should have added that a bit closer to Bordeaux, the château at Blanquefort is another great stop,with easy access to Bordeaux on a cycle path, or by tram.
Only about 9 miles to the airport!
This is an amazing top Jonny Banana spot. Chateau st Ahon. It is a france passion place, but they accept non FP members for a small fee i think.
It is a walk of about 1 -1.5 km to the tram terminal so the camping by the lake is more convenient, however, I would suggest for quality of evening, and blowing the expense (remember i am a complete FLT member) I would not hesitate once if i were back in the area and i would buy their 15 euro bottle of award winning wine again and sit in their actual vineyard and watch the sun go down whilst sipping said stunning wine (and i normally dont pay more than 2 euros a bottle). One of our best 10 stops easily. Cant recommend this place enough, if you can put up with the walk.
Bordeaux is stunning on a hot day, walk along the north bank rather than the south bank.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
A decent restaurant, off the tourist track and out of the town centre, can recommend Le Bistro du Sommelier https://www.bistrodusommelier.com , you can reserve a table online. A bit out of the way but the prices are good for the standard of food.

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks everyone for the amazing input. Plenty of recommends and all info much appreciated. Roll on Sept !!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks everyone for the amazing input. Plenty of recommends and all info much appreciated. Roll on Sept !!

Just in case they would still be moaning in September don't go to town center on a saturday! Too much violence with the riots (Gilets jaunes). Plenty of other days in the week !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back