Blade fuse size for 12v sockets (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My parents want to install a 12v "cigarette lighter type" socket into their MH. This will be to power their 12V TV.

On the power brick (pictured) it says it is 60W.

TV Brick.jpg

So to work out the amps I've done 60W / 12V = 5A
plus 25% = 5A X 1.25 = 6.25A so I could use a 7.5A fuse, assuming they will only plug in the TV. However I know they will end up unplugging the TV and using the socket for other things.

The socket is rated up to 20 amps. So if they put something into socket that is higher rated than my 60W TV I'll be blowing the 7.5A fuse intended for the TV.

So what size fuse would you use / do you use for your 12V sockets?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Cheers Phil,

I'm thinking of using a 15 amp fuse and 4mm2 wire which is rated at 41 amp.

I'm connecting the wires direct to the battery terminals with an inline blade fuse holder. (They have no 12v sockets or fuse panel in place already and only want one socket.)

I think this should be okay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I assume it's okay to connect the 4mm2 wires directly to the terminals of the battery via this type of terminal extension and the appropriate size lugs and use an inline fuse?

I my van everything is conected via a 12v fuse panel / bus bar. I assume this inline thing does exactly the same thing.

s-l500.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm thinking of using a 15 amp fuse and 4mm2 wire which is rated at 41 amp.
Size of cable depends on the cable length you want to aim for a volt drop of 3% or less.
If you want to be able to use it up to 15 amps for a 2.5m cable length 4mm sq is fine for 5m you need 8 mm sq. When buying cable if you buy thin wall auto cable it's not what is says as the size includes the insulation.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I assume it's okay to connect the 4mm2 wires directly to the terminals of the battery via this type of terminal extension and the appropriate size lugs and use an inline fuse?

I my van everything is conected via a 12v fuse panel / bus bar. I assume this inline thing does exactly the same thing.

View attachment 405064
Those are OK but for just one extra connection you could just use a ring terminal on the battery clamp bolt.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As Phill D says there will be a cartridge fuse in the plug on the power block in your picture. It'll possibly be a 7A as that's what the input on the block says so it'll blow before any higher rated inline fuse you fit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Those are OK but for just one extra connection you could just use a ring terminal on the battery clamp bolt.
Exactly what I did when I installed an awning light and a socket.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Fuses are there to protect the wiring. your fuse should blow before the wiring melts. Both need to be capable of supplying enough current to whatever you have plugged in. With items rated at 120 watts I've seen plugs and sockets get very hot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Fuses are there to protect the wiring. your fuse should blow before the wiring melts. Both need to be capable of supplying enough current to whatever you have plugged in. With items rated at 120 watts I've seen plugs and sockets get very hot.
If drawing much more than a couple of amps better to use Hella plugs and sockets.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

View attachment 405064

The only thing I will add to this thread is, if those cables coming from the terminal are not fused next to the battery then you are asking for trouble.

The fuse should be as close to the battery on the wires as possible.

In most systems you have a mega fuse next to the battery with a larger cable then going to the distribution board containing the per wire fusing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back