Blackbird attack (2 Viewers)

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
I have a panel van with the black glass sides. It’s parked under a car port about 15 inches from a 10 ft laurel hedge. Last weekend it came under a three day attack from a male blackbird which would fly out of the hedge and attack its reflection. Didn’t seem to get bored. Been away for 3 days and since return there’s a blackbird around on ground near van, but no attacks. Not seen a bird go for it’s reflection for so long before

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Probably a French blackbird.

They are all nuts.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We had something similiar with our last van which incidentally was parked next to our 30ft conifers and a wall.

A small sparrow would sit on the wall and repeatedly fly at the window. It went on for weeks so it must have been a territorial-thing whereby he was trying to deter the imposters - himself in this instance :xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have a panel van with the black glass sides. It’s parked under a car port about 15 inches from a 10 ft laurel hedge. Last weekend it came under a three day attack from a male blackbird which would fly out of the hedge and attack its reflection. Didn’t seem to get bored. Been away for 3 days and since return there’s a blackbird around on ground near van, but no attacks. Not seen a bird go for it’s reflection for so long before

Look on the bright side . A male peacock used to attack my van when walking past with Mrs peacock as he thought it was a rival. They don't half do some damage.Had to resort to covering the van with old sheets & blankets. Another time ,still whilst sheeted ,Mrs Peacock decided the roof was an ideal place to build a nest for the new family !:xdoh: I've some photos somewhere ?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The worst thing is they crap as they attack the image on your van. When they do that it is so that the feathers on the opponent lose their water proofing and insulation, thereby die of exposure to the elements.
My work van was routinely attacked when parked in our drive, I'd come out on the morning and bird crap would be all over the drivers and passengers doors under the mirrors and the bloody Miner birds would actually follow me down the road still at it! Had to cover the wing mirrors with Paper bags every night to stop it in the end.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Used to have similar on my car.
BE CAREFUL as they can also decide to start ripping at the seals where the window goes up and down. Thats what mine did..
I turned the mirrors inwards and that stopped it but obviously not an option with your side windows...
Maybe get a sticker of a Eagle on there.. :D

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
At a certain point of a field hedge on one of my dog walks a robin appears in the hedge, flutters its wings and twitters aggressively towards me. It carries on like this whilst working along inside the hedge beside me and then after about 50 yds it stops and leaves me to continue in peace.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Probably a French blackbird.

Tell us all, the French problem, was it some French Madame who called you a perverted Welsh B****D for wanting the celery and the egg whisk that triggered this off or was it just the price ?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tell us all, the French problem, was it some French Madame who called you a perverted Welsh B****D for wanting the celery and the egg whisk that triggered this off or was it just the price ?

No Brian it were the Condom and the Bottlebrush that set her off.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Theirs a robin doing it on my car mirror I have had to put a bag over it as it knocked it shelf out last week thought it was dead
bill

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Does anyone remember the "Attack Swan" at Beaulieu village Hampshire ? That used to attack its reflection in passing cars,when we lived down there,often there would be a queue at the road junction.............. However,if you went up through the village high street you missed it.
Tea Bag

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The attic window in the house opposite ours was regularly attacked for years by a huge crow, it'd peck away for hours and hours. They put a life size stuffed Guy Fawkes in the window but that didn't work. Then they tried a large yellow tony tiger, that didn't work. In the end they used an outside curtain of garden netting which flaps in the breeze. That seemed to work, it's still there now, flapping away. But the crow isn't, perhaps it has gone to that great crows nest in the sky. We used to call the house the mad crow's house, but with due respect to the lady of the house, it could be misunderstood.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back