Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi.

Do any one use Bio-Fuel? I have a Fiat 2.8JTD Reg 2006 and would like to give it a try as it cost only 80p ltr

Fisherman8

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Hi Fisherman8

We use bio diesel in our landrover discovery td5 and our seat ibiza 19d
we all so have a 2.8jtd motorhome that we havent used bio diesel in as yet because of the warranty on the motorhome ,but as soon as the warranty is up we will be using bio diesel .
Betty

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I filled up with bio-diesel on my way up to Newark (quite a bit more that 80p though) and it seemed to run fine - smelt a bit chip-shoppy,:Smile: but I didn't have any problems with it. Had to fill up with regular diesel next time though as there wasn't a bio-diesel supplier around (that I knew of anyway).

John

PS Peter & Betty - does it affect your warranty? I didn't know that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Melian
Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Betty i did not think about the warranty i have the same as you and Peter The Roadstar 780 i may have to wait for the warranty to run out.

P.S Jaydee if you are any where near Exeter any time you can get the bio-fuel near Creley adventre park on the Sidmouth Road.

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Dont honestley know if it would affect the warranty ,but you could bet if something went wrong with the engine you could bet they would blame it on the bio diesel .

Betty

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all

Found the following on another forum, it may be of interest to you.

Service News: Bio-fuels are an integral part of the Peugeot Marque's policy for the protection of the environment and for
sustainable development.
Bio-diesels, fatty acid methyl or ethyl esters, usually vegetable oils, may be mixed with conventional diesel.
Apart from the above-mentioned environmental aspect, their use improves the lubricating capacity of the
fuel and thus protects the injection equipment against wear.
Important Reminder
The Peugeot Marque strongly advises against the use of crude vegetable oil (for example, cooking oil) in
diesel engines. Although the calorific value of this oil is close to that of diesel, its physical-chemical
properties (viscosity, molecular density and cetane index) are far from being the equivalent of those of
diesel or of bio-diesel.
Also, the use of crude oils in modern diesel engines (direct injection) causes two major problems:
• Irreversible damage to the engine

The use of diester and related terms of warranty
• The Peugeot Marque is in favour of bio-diesel on condition that the quality of the bio-diesel/fatty
acid methyl ester used complies with European standard EN14214 and that the end-product fuel
complies with standard EN590, that is, a maximum of 5% fatty acid methyl ester content.
The Peugeot Marque therefore grants its contractual warranty coverage for vehicles using fuel
which meets this standard.
• 30% bio-diesel mixture with diesel fuel (B30: rape seed based vegetable oil methyl ester).
Deliveries must be guaranteed by the fuel companies for captive fleets (businesses, local
authorities, etc…) and fuel storage must not exceed three months.
The subsidiary and/or importer will notify you in writing of the captive fleets complying with the
above-mentioned application conditions. Only vehicles complying with these conditions
applicable to captive fleets, will be covered by the PEUGEOT manufacturer's warranty.
• On the other hand, the Peugeot Marque does not provide warranty coverage for the use of
pure bio-diesel (B100): poor resistance of the fuel system elastomers (risk of leaks causing
starting and running problems) and of the injection equipment.

OP
OP
Melian
Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Just Phoned Fiat they have said that if i use Bio-Fuel then the warranty would be void as they do not recomend any other fuel then diesel:Angry:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
<snipped>
P.S Jaydee if you are any where near Exeter any time you can get the bio-fuel near Creley adventre park on the Sidmouth Road.

Thanks for that info.
There's a place not far from Winkley and another place at Whidden Down, which we usually go by on our way up country.

I was under the impression that bio diesel is kinder to the engine than ordinary diesel. And anyway the City Diesel that the likes of Sainsbury's sells is 5% bio diesel, so does that "affect the warranty"? I doubt it. Anything to wriggle out of their responsibilities.:Angry:

Thanks for the heads up.

John

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hmmm not sure about this when you hear of the food shortages around the world caused by crops being diverted to make bio fuels?

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
For the uninitiated. Try reading about the subject before commenting.
What has failing crops to do with cleanining and refining
USED OIL
Its probably been used to make your indian,chinese or whatever meal. And now I am making use of it to power my motor home, cleaner and healthier than you and your pure unadulterated oil from the ground.:shout:

Happy polluting.:ROFLMAO:

Don

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I am not decrying anyone using bio fuel just pointing out that I am unsure. Not all bio fuel is made using old oil. A great deal of the worlds crops are being diverted to the making of bio fuel (nothing to do with failing crops) this is leading to rising prices and food shortages in some countries as you say one should check the facts before commenting!!!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Comments like the following are what makes me unsure about buying biofuels. I have to add that those those who make there own from old oil obviously do not fall within this category.

09 April
UN Joins the Biofuels Backlash

UN secretary-general, Ban Ki-moon, last week called for a comprehensive review of the organisation's policy on using biofuels to help fight fossil fuel-led climate change.
"We need to be concerned about the possibility of taking land or replacing arable land because of these biofuels," Ban told the Guardian. His comments comes as a new peak in global food prices - partly due to the increased use of crops for energy generation - threatens to trigger social instability throughout the world. The UN's World Food Programme said last week that 33 countries in Asia and Africa now face political instability as the urban poor struggle to feed their families. As the Daily Telegraph reported, the World Bank said last week "that the price of staple foods has risen by 80 per cent in the past three years".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back