bikes and towcars (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
So,
following on from my previous thread regarding which A frame to purchase I am now booked in for early Dec for my Kia Picanto to be converted with Towbars to tow cars.
However I have a further conundrum,
I would like to take my mountain bikes as well but am struggling between two different systems.

I can either-

Take my Thule roof bars from my wife's car and put them on the Picanto with the appropriate fitting kit and purchase a couple of bike carriers and take my bikes on the roof.
OR
Fit a towbar to the Picanto and use my towbar mounted bike carrier on the back of the Picanto.

Notwithstanding the cost between the two systems, I can foresee problems with option 1 When pitched up at campsite and want to take the car but not the bikes (I have no garage).
What do I do with them,?
secure them to the towbar of the Motorhome with a long cable and combination lock and hope for the best
OR
option two,
remove the bike carrier from the towbar of the Picanto and lock it onto the rear of the Motorhome and then take the car wherever I want.

I understand both solutions have an element of risk of theft but which system have others gone for in the past who have towed cars and taken bikes with them and have I missed an option 3?

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Anyone done any of the above?
Recommendations?

Graydo

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I have done none of the above.
However it depends how fit or strong you are.
Option 1 requires you to lift the bikes up and put them on a roof rack. How tall will that be? I doubt it will, but will this put you over 3 metres? Only a problem if you use French toll roads.
The easiest system would be option 2 = low lift height.
I would go for option 2.
Vic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Option 1: Take something to lock the bikes to an immovable object. You should have something already, for when you stop for a meal when cycling. This will be cheaper than
Option 2: (Can you get a tow bracket for a Picanto?) I did this with a larger Toad, which I also used to pull a trailer. If the bikes are heavy (electric) the rear carrier will be easier to load.

Edit: Much as Vic has said above - we must've seen your 'bump' at the same time.

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I have done none of the above.
However it depends how fit or strong you are.
Option 1 requires you to lift the bikes up and put them on a roof rack. How tall will that be? I doubt it will, but will this put you over 3 metres? Only a problem if you use French toll roads.
The easiest system would be option 2 = low lift height.
I would go for option 2.
Vic
No problems lifting on roof and bikes non electric.
Doubt even with bikes on roof Picanto height would be more than 3m, however doubt I would take towcar to France.

Thanks for input

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Option 1: Take something to lock the bikes to an immovable object. You should have something already, for when you stop for a meal when cycling. This will be cheaper than
Option 2: (Can you get a tow bracket for a Picanto?) I did this with a larger Toad, which I also used to pull a trailer. If the bikes are heavy (electric) the rear carrier will be easier to load.

Edit: Much as Vic has said above - we must've seen your 'bump' at the same time.
I "think" I can get a towbar for the Picanto but am not 100% sure.
It's not exactly a popular car for towing :)

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Just put a bike rack on the back of the van, that’s what most people do if no garage.
Hmm, looked at this option when got the van but discounted it because of the relatively thin exterior motorhome wall and the fact I already had a towbar mounted cycle carrier.
Might now be worth reconsidering though.
Thanks

Graydo

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hmm, looked at this option when got the van but discounted it because of the relatively thin exterior motorhome wall and the fact I already had a towbar mounted cycle carrier.
Might now be worth reconsidering though.
Thanks

Graydo
You can buy a bike rack that fixes either on a plate which goes between the tow ball and fixing flange and also one that fixes to the neck of a swan neck tow ball. Both are probably the type where the bikes are suspended from the crossbar though so not ideal.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can buy a bike rack that fixes either on a plate which goes between the tow ball and fixing flange and also one that fixes to the neck of a swan neck tow ball. Both are probably the type where the bikes are suspended from the crossbar though so not ideal.
But unless the towbar, if post 2012, was homologated with either of those options it would negate its homologation certificate/CoC modifying it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the bikes are heavy (electric) the rear carrier will be easier to load.
If the bikes are electric the towbar rack may not be suitable.
Mines a two bike THULE rack but only has weight capacity for one leccy bike and I have to put that on the channel nearest the car or the rack flexes too much.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
One advantage of putting the bikes on the Toad is that it does not impact your payload.

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Hmm,
Have slight electrical concerns that the motorhome brakes would be activating the towcar brakes which would be activating the cycle carrier brakes (if mounted on towbar) all at the same time and all powered from MH as the Picanto engine will not be running.
Also slightly concerned that the bikes may be perceived to be obscuring any signage displayed in the rear window of the Picanto by the traffic stasi.

Still not comfortable with the weight of two bikes on a rear mounted wall carrier with the added problem I would probably whack my head on it while hooking up the tow car/block my toilet cassette.

Looking more and more like the roof rack option....

Graydo

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I used one of these for years on the back of various cars, don't need it now so available for £35

Ihttps://www.pfjones.co.uk/zx88-cycle-carrier-3-4-bikes.html

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Roof bars seem the best, and cheapest, option but make sure the Picanto roof can take the weight of the rack and bikes as they're not built of the strongest metal!

To reduce the height you could remove the front wheels and store them in the car (easy to convert to quick release if they aren't already), this would make them lighter to put up top and less appealing to opportunist thieves as they'd need to break into the car to get them and of course you could leave the wheels in the MH when you go out in the car so again the bikes are less likely to be nicked as thieves tend not to carry spare bike wheels with them!

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
I used one of these for years on the back of various cars, don't need it now so available for £35

Ihttps://www.pfjones.co.uk/zx88-cycle-carrier-3-4-bikes.html

Thanks for the offer but it looks like I am going down the roof rack option.

Cheers

Graydo

OP
OP
Graydo
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
Roof bars seem the best, and cheapest, option but make sure the Picanto roof can take the weight of the rack and bikes as they're not built of the strongest metal!

To reduce the height you could remove the front wheels and store them in the car (easy to convert to quick release if they aren't already), this would make them lighter to put up top and less appealing to opportunist thieves as they'd need to break into the car to get them and of course you could leave the wheels in the MH when you go out in the car so again the bikes are less likely to be nicked as thieves tend not to carry spare bike wheels with them!
I like your thinking,
what use would a one wheeled bike be to the opportunist thief!
From memory I believe the Picanto is 69 kilo weight limit which should take care of two mountain bikes and roof rack (especially with two wheels missing).
Height is largely irrelevant in this country.

It's a shame you have to think like a thief in this country to protect your possessions
But some people just can't leave your stuff alone.

Cheers

Graydo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back