Best Sat Nav App for an Ipad Pro. ??? (1 Viewer)

Pete n Bex

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass,Avantgarde
Exp
Since 1990
Hiya..we use co-pilot & it's never let us down,used it for 3 months also whilst travelling around Spain,added bonus too you can put in vehicle dimensions & weight etc,I think you can get it on a trial basis too..hope this helps

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I'm not sure but do you need to have GPS to be able to use sat nav on an iPad? So you would need an iPad with a phone card slot. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I'm not sure but do you need to have GPS to be able to use sat nav on an iPad? So you would need an iPad with a phone card slot. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Just get a Bluetooth GPS and connect to IPad. Works very well. I have a copy of Co-Pilot on my IPad .. Depends how techi you are but you can get it for free if you download it from somewhere like GPSPower Forum or you can just buy it.

I had it working on my Blaupunkt Sat Nav but there is a problem with the speech setting and it misses the first part of words. Not found a fix for it so don't use it. Works very well on IPad and also Samsung Android.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Another one for Co Pilot, had it on my Ipad for few years now and found it works very well !!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Been using Co Pilot for a while and have just updated my iPad to a Pro.
I also treated myself to the Caravan version of CoPilot so that I could input vehicle dimensions.
Been using it all the way through France and now to the south of Spain and it has worked very well. With the powerful processor it is lightning fast at finding the route.
You do need the cellular version of iPad as that has GPS. The wi-fi version would need a separate GPS antenna. That would also mean that you wouldn’t be able to charge the iPad while driving.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Oh, forgot to say.
CoPilot works offline. You download the maps you need before you set off.
You can download the whole of Europe or individual countries, depending on how much storage you can spare.

Richard.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all.
We bought an IPad Pro and SPECIFICALLY asked for one that would do as a Sat Nag.
Guess what.... we were told it would do it ok !!!
WRONG !!!!
So when we get home...... hell will happen in our Apple store !!!!
Fortunately, we bought a second hand iPhone 6i as well, so our TomTom works on that.....
Mitch.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I can understand a sales assistant not being fully conversant with all the technical side of iPads if they work in an electrical store.
If the work in a Apple store it’s inexcusable. They should know there very limited range of products inside out.

Richard.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Hi all, does CoPilot avoid single track roads successfully when decent alternatives are available?
I have an AguriRV700 which takes dimensions etc but has taken us down some hellish roads when better options were available.

anjasola

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Kinross
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610
Exp
5 years
Hi all, does CoPilot avoid single track roads successfully when decent alternatives are available?
I have an AguriRV700 which takes dimensions etc but has taken us down some hellish roads when better options were available.

No it doesn’t and routing is sometimes bewildering.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I now fully understand why a lot of people have two sat nag devices as in fact we do. the problem arises when they start to argue with other, one saying straight on, the other saying turn left!
We laughed our socks of the last time this happened as the TOM TOM has a female voice, & the other one from Google app on I phone has a mans voice!, they disagreed often on the route, that we didnt know which was one correct., until we discovered one was set for non motorways, the other wasnt...doh!
But we did agree it was like us arguing, so a typical married couple! and it was very funny at the time. :xdoh:

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
No it doesn’t and routing is sometimes bewildering.
I think its how you have it set up, have co pilot caravan on a ipad and has never put a foot wrong. it just seems to work for us, but now I have said that its going to go tits up:(:(.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Oh, forgot to say.
CoPilot works offline. You download the maps you need before you set off.
You can download the whole of Europe or individual countries, depending on how much storage you can spare.

Richard.
Clarification Please. Would I need a smart-phone with an ordinary sim in order to get a GPS location if we are away from wifi on our bikes?

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We've been on the road 5 months now using CoPilot, it's good but make sure your real copilot is on the map ! For example it tried to take me off a motorway onto a road bridge. None of the apps are infallible, but copilot is one of the best.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use Co-Pilot on an iPhone, no need to be online.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i use Copilot on both my iPhone and i have the MH specific one on my iPad - for iPads, it used to be only the 3G/4G ones that had a GPS chip in them as previously mentioned

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Thank you for your replies.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Clarification Please. Would I need a smart-phone with an ordinary sim in order to get a GPS location if we are away from wifi on our bikes?
Provided the smart phone has GPS built in it will work fine. IPhone certainly has GPS and I would think any make of phone describing itself as ‘Smart’ would too.
You don’t need wi-fi or mobile signal as all the maps and software are already on the phone.
There is a difference with iPad as the wi-fi only version does NOT have GPS. Navigation apps will not work.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back