Best route to south of France (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We're heading off on holiday this Friday and thought I better start planning where to go, the weather looks best down the south around Perpignan. For the last 9 years we've went via Hull to Zeebrugge but due to work commitments we cant make the check in this year and heading for tunnel instead. I have a rough idea which way to go avoiding Paris but thought I'd ask you guys to give me more options.

I don't mind using Tolls as we only have 16 days and don't want to spend half driving.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Calais - Rouen (use toll Boulogne to Abbeville) - Evereux-Druex-Chartres-orleans -Clermont Ferrand - Then A75 all the way to the south (go over Millau Viaduct to save about an hour 16euro)

This is the route I always take can be done in 2 long days. Mostly dual carriageway and Motorway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Should add you could go on the A71 toll from Orleans to Clermont which would save some time.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Calais - Rouen (use toll Boulogne to Abbeville) - Evereux-Druex-Chartres-orleans -Clermont Ferrand - Then A75 all the way to the south (go over Millau Viaduct to save about an hour 16euro)

This is the route I always take can be done in 2 long days. Mostly dual carriageway and Motorway.
If time isn't an issue go of after Cement Ferand and follow the lot down through the gorge

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

lorger. John's route above is the way we normally come back from Spain Gerry, (except for the A71 Peage route). It's a good route. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Were going to stage it .... calais to Dijon area for a couple of days .... then Provence ... then Perpignan area ... looking at Ventusky for weather patterns, I think we’ll be dodging the fronts ?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

Going through Millau rather than paying the viaduct toll should take less than 30 minutes from leaving the A75 to rejoining it on the other side.
There are great views of the town and viaduct which you don’t get from the viaduct itself and overall it probably takes an extra 15-20 minutes.
Lots of excellent and interesting Aires close to the A75 too.

Just returned from that area and the weather has been brilliant for the five weeks we were beside the Med.
Have a good trip.

Richard

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Going through Millau rather than paying the viaduct toll should take less than 30 minutes from leaving the A75 to rejoining it on the other side.
On the two occasions we've gone through rather than over Richard, it has taken nearer 45 x minutes, with the climb out taking us down to second gear for the best part of it. :( Saying that, I still managed to overtake and leave behind, an older Autotrail Apache on the last climb out. ;)

Cheers,

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On the two occasions we've gone through rather than over Richard, it has taken nearer 45 x minutes, with the climb out taking us down to second gear for the best part of it. :( Saying that, I still managed to overtake and leave behind, an older Autotrail Apache on the last climb out. ;)

Cheers,

You need a heavier right foot Jock.
True, it is a tad twisty going down and even more going up the south side but I always enjoy the drive. The views, particularly heading north, are spectacular.
We have gone that way numerous times (including three days ago) and when I remember I time it from leaving the motorway to rejoining at the other side.
It has never taken more than 30 minutes.
If you cross the viaduct and have to stop and pay the toll I recon that will take around 15+ minutes.
Having heard tales of folk being charged daft amounts at the toll booths because they are over height or weight I don’t take the chance.

Richard
PS. There’s not a drop of Scottish blood in me as far as I’m aware. ? ?

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Were going to stage it .... calais to Dijon area for a couple of days .... then Provence ... then Perpignan area ... looking at Ventusky for weather patterns, I think we’ll be dodging the fronts ?

Might see you in the Perpignan area

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Will be heading that way on Sunday, i just follow the satnav and fill up on occasion, keep going South and the West a bit.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You need a heavier right foot Jock.
Any heavier Richard, and it would have been through the floor. She's an old girl you know. :LOL:

1570767174634.png

The views, particularly heading north, are spectacular.
Oh yes, absolutely, with pull ins for photo opportunities. (y)

Having heard tales of folk being charged daft amounts at the toll booths because they are over height or weight I don’t take the chance.
That's why I initially avoided the bridge toll on earlier journeys, but was reassured by BreweryDave of Class 2 with a tandem axled MH, and it was, on both occasions we've been across. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have to say I won’t be coming this way again, I can see why you use it if your not in a hurry but I’m afraid it’s going to be tolls for me until we’ve retired, the roads have been fairly quiet most of the time but far to many roundabouts. At least if you go via Paris you hit busy roads for about 40 mins then it’s virtually full speed ahead.

Last year we did Zeebrugge to Saint Tropez with one overnight stop about 2 hours short of St-T, we’ve drove an hour longer today and must be 100miles less overall.

Next time it will be tolls with an extra day to relax ??

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Next time it will be tolls with an extra day to relax ??
You are guaranteed Class 2 tolls Gerry (y) whereas some of us can easily get stung for Class 4 tolls, which is the same as a 44 Tonne Articulated Truck, and deducts a fair whack out of the holiday budget. :(

Safe travels, and enjoy. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You are guaranteed Class 2 tolls Gerry (y) whereas some of us can easily get stung for Class 4 tolls, which is the same as a 44 Tonne Articulated Truck, and deducts a fair whack out of the holiday budget. :(

Safe travels, and enjoy. (y)

Cheers,

I totally get that Jock especially if not in a hurry, if I pay €100 in tolls it’s only £7 a day over 2 weeks so won’t burst the bank and I reckon I’d save some on fuel also. It’s all part of life’s experience though ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back