Best / Cheapest Unlimited Data SIM deal (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I've a Teltonika RUT240 4G router on order for domestic use, the intention being to get rid of the landline and home broadband.

I know there are a few related threads, from others considering doing the same but don't want to jump all-over their threads.

Quite simply, what's the cheapest / best value unlimited data SIM deal at the moment that uses the Vodafone, EE or O2 networks. (Not 3 Mobile or one of the many other MVNOs that use 3 Mobile as I get a very poor signal with them at my location).

Best I've found is the Lebara Unlimited deal at £25 per month (discounted to £12.50 for first 3 months) which uses the Vodafone network on a rolling 1 month contract. Allows (restricted) roaming too which is useful when I transfer the setup to the van when we're abroad).

Is there a better/ cheaper alternative? Maybe through a reseller, or using cashback deals?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks,
Barti Ddu.

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
I too am interested in doing this, if anyone has an input ?
……

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I use a Tesco (O2) unlimited. If you are a Tesco Clubcard holder it is £17 per month. Had it if full use for a while and used about 2000GB without any issues.

Geoff

OP
OP
B
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I use a Tesco (O2) unlimited. If you are a Tesco Clubcard holder it is £17 per month. Had it if full use for a while and used about 2000GB without any issues.

Geoff
Sounds interesting. However, looking at the T&CS it specifically says that it has to be used in a mobile device and not for home broadband. Not sure how they can tell though as tethering is permitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
I've a Teltonika RUT240 4G router on order for domestic use, the intention being to get rid of the landline and home broadband.

I know there are a few related threads, from others considering doing the same but don't want to jump all-over their threads.

Quite simply, what's the cheapest / best value unlimited data SIM deal at the moment that uses the Vodafone, EE or O2 networks. (Not 3 Mobile or one of the many other MVNOs that use 3 Mobile as I get a very poor signal with them at my location).

Best I've found is the Lebara Unlimited deal at £25 per month (discounted to £12.50 for first 3 months) which uses the Vodafone network on a rolling 1 month contract. Allows (restricted) roaming too which is useful when I transfer the setup to the van when we're abroad).

Is there a better/ cheaper alternative? Maybe through a reseller, or using cashback deals?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks,
Barti Ddu.
The lebara deal restricts you to 30 gb on roaming ...so having the unlimited deal is OK if staying in the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a shuftie at HotUKdeals as people post info on there about the latest offerings.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It’s not quite as simple as just the cheapest unlimited deal I’m afraid. The battle ground for the operators and MVNO’s is on handset tariffing not broadband using 4G as the bearer. If you want the equivalent of a broadband service, you need to pay for a broadband service and buy a data only service.

All others will have shaping and restrictions which WILL change the service you get from the optimum you COULD get with a data tariff.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!

Geoff

Sounds interesting. However, looking at the T&CS it specifically says that it has to be used in a mobile device and not for home broadband. Not sure how they can tell though as tethering is permitted.
I tried Tesco Sim in my Huawei Mifi router. Lot of faffing to get it to work, which it did for a day and then whatever I tried it wouldn't go. Eventually someone sensible at Tesco mobile said "it works for some, not for others". Fundamentally Tesco have that in their T&Cs to protect themselves as I was advised they test and check their Sims for mobile phones, but don't test routers.

I'm now using Smarty, but note that isn't suited to the OP.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You will probably find it will work OK in a Mifi but not a proper router.

OP
OP
B
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
It’s not quite as simple as just the cheapest unlimited deal I’m afraid. The battle ground for the operators and MVNO’s is on handset tariffing not broadband using 4G as the bearer. If you want the equivalent of a broadband service, you need to pay for a broadband service and buy a data only service.

All others will have shaping and restrictions which WILL change the service you get from the optimum you COULD get with a data tariff.
Hello Harvey.

That's interesting. I knew that some of the cheapest MVNOs throttled back the throughput but hadn't realised it would be the case for all non-data-only SIMs used in a MIFI or 4G router. In practice, what is the likely effect? Will there be significant buffering on iPlayer and Netflix for example? We've used the 1p Lebara SIM deals in a portable TP Link MIFI and been happy with the results both in the UK and in France/ Spain.

I suppose the benefit of being on a rolling one month deal is that we can experiment a bit to start with, without committing to a long term contract.

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I tried Tesco Sim in my Huawei Mifi router. Lot of faffing to get it to work, which it did for a day and then whatever I tried it wouldn't go. Eventually someone sensible at Tesco mobile said "it works for some, not for others". Fundamentally Tesco have that in their T&Cs to protect themselves as I was advised they test and check their Sims for mobile phones, but don't test routers.

I'm now using Smarty, but note that isn't suited to the OP.
The Tesco works just fine for me in my TP Link MR600 router.

When I carried out performance tests on various sims, EE was the best and 3 was the worse. EE is too expensive. 3 is cheap but poor coverage.

Geoff

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hello Harvey.

That's interesting. I knew that some of the cheapest MVNOs throttled back the throughput but hadn't realised it would be the case for all non-data-only SIMs used in a MIFI or 4G router. In practice, what is the likely effect? Will there be significant buffering on iPlayer and Netflix for example? We've used the 1p Lebara SIM deals in a portable TP Link MIFI and been happy with the results both in the UK and in France/ Spain.

I suppose the benefit of being on a rolling one month deal is that we can experiment a bit to start with, without committing to a long term contract.

Thanks.

It’s not as binary or predictable as that I’m afraid. There are complex algorithms that determine the service each subscriber gets in each cell at any particular moment, depending on many things like number of concurrent users, type of data being consumed, priority of each subscriber, roaming or host network subscriber etc etc

If you need guaranteed high bandwidth data to simulate a fixed broadband or fibre connection, you really need a data sim not a mobile one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back