Berkey Water Purifiers (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2018
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Minimal, but learning fast.
Can anyone tell us more about Berkey Water Purifiers please? I've seen them mentioned in a few posts and looked at their website - all good stuff. We have just got our first campervan which is a Globecar Campscout. Its pretty compact (its a van conversion after all), and we are trying to find a solution for safe drinking water that is reasonably priced, effective, doesn't require too many plastic bottles, and that doesn't require too much DIY, as we have only a little bit of space under the sink. Does anyone have experience of actually using one, or know where we can view/buy other than online. (I'm a bit weird in that when spending over £200 I like to actually see what I'm getting!) We would appreciate any information you can give. Many Thanks.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
They are good, highly recommended by many, but, too bulky to put in a small camper. Naturepure filters are used by many here, including ourselves, however since the English agent was selling a bogus replacement cartridge for it, not sure where existing customers are buying there replacements from, probably direct from US, but would be at a price no doubt. Maybe someone here has used an alternative, would be interested ourselves.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've got the for our home. There is a smaller that is OK for a motorhome. In fact @JJ has used one in a small motorhome for years. I plan to get one of those too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
trying to find a solution for safe drinking water
Just wondering where you are going in your van as all Euopean countries the water is clorinated and safe to drink.

We do have a Filtapac Econoflo filter in line with the kitchen tap but that is only to get rid of tastes you sometimes get when minerals in the water react with the plastic piping.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with the Sundowners...

I wouldn't be without my Berkey but I do have the space amongst my junk for it...

20190421_111120.jpg

It is meant to be a "purifier" rather than just a "filter" and one is meant to be able to clean river water etc with it, but so far, I have only put my well water and outside tap water through it.

I am still alive...

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Red Shoes
Feb 5, 2018
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Minimal, but learning fast.
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I had heard about the trouble with the Naturepure filters. I had not heard of the Filtapac but have now looked at their website which is not exactly brimming with information, but I don't think we have the vertical space for it. Thanks Jim and JJ, it was the Travel Berkey we are considering as I understand it can be dismantled for traveling. Thanks JJ particularly for the image it is VERY helpful. Is that the Big or travel Berkey? Yes we are deliberately looking for a purifier not just a filter. We currently don't have passports, so not Europe this year. We live in an area of exceedingly hard water and I find whenever we travel anywhere I always get slight tummy trouble, which I think is just different water. My theory is that being able to use a Berkey at home and in the van will prevent this. Plus, I am always a bit wary of who used a water source before me and what they did...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back