Benimar Tessoro 494 Ezent sat navigation issues. (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
We are now on to our 5th unit replacement in just under two years from new due to a combination of the unit resetting to factory settings "please select language" through to taking up to 20 minutes to find a satellite to actually work correctly, with numerous lost connections along the way!.
The units have been a latent defect and is not fit for purpose in my experience. Has anyone experienced the same or similar issues and did they (Marquis) get it fixed eventually)?.

Would appreciate your feedbacks.

Thank you.

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
Hi guys, we have a Benimar Mileo 243 with the Xzent x-227 unit installed. We did have problems initially with unreliable Satnav and DAB functions, but after updating the software from the version 1.5 that it came with to the current version 2.5 it has been a lot better to the point where we are very happy with it.

Things to bear in mind;

1) The unit is slow, so when using the search facility in the SatNav be patient with it (it usually gets a result eventually).
2) The unit relies on an aerial mounted in the wing mirror. We installed an externally mounted aerial instead and this also improved things.
3) Other folks have reported issues caused by having other devices such as dash cams mounted near the unit can interfere with it (but not in our case).
4) Map updates are not provided by Xzent themselves but are installed via the naviextras utility.

Lots of Xzent related info on the Benimar owners Facebook page here

Highly recommended if you are not members already.

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
The Xzent engineer/installer landed last week and replaced the unit together with the sim card, so all previously stored information was erased together with resitting the aerial connection which was originally in the windscreen pillar to a central point connected by a magnet to a metallic surface. On start up for the first time in two years the unit locked on to the satellites straight away and managed to recover within an acceptable time on restoring (stopping for fuel as a example). I do need to test it fully but for a short 15 mile journey with lots of route changes to challenge the unit, all seemed well.

Hopefully 5th time lucky!. Don't compromise if its not working as well as your other vehicles or even the stick on the windscreen type? It should be, and clearly would be a challenge outside of your warrantee period.

Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Thought it would be worth updating on my last thread for any potential puchasers. Sad to report that after using our 5th replacement unit this week, this unit resets back to language choice after just stopping for fuel. Placed us in Russia at one point, which is something the original unit did, not seen that for a while!. If you're in the market for a new Tessoro negotiate a discount to replace the unit . I will not be wasting any more of my time on this product. Not fit for purpose does not cover it!.

nataliearthur

Free Member
Sep 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
benimar tessoro
Thought it would be worth updating on my last thread for any potential puchasers. Sad to report that after using our 5th replacement unit this week, this unit resets back to language choice after just stopping for fuel. Placed us in Russia at one point, which is something the original unit did, not seen that for a while!. If you're in the market for a new Tessoro negotiate a discount to replace the unit . I will not be wasting any more of my time on this product. Not fit for purpose does not cover it!.
Gutted to see this, we've got tgis years tessoro413 and having xzent issues, in fact from day 1 it takes ages to find a satellite and majority of the time we have reached destination using phone satnav (finger biting journeys as it doesn't know we a MH) before the xzent kicks in. Spent time in France in the summer and on advice from dealer had the unit out to tighten leads, have kept the unit hanging out to keep fiddling with the leads but still nothing, carry on with phone maps 🫣. Like you we were one day in Russia, scared me a bit so just turned it off 😅. Previous tessoro had the xzent and had similar issues but at least it eventually worked as long as we were on a long enough journey to find a satellite... Have contacted dealer, awaiting response 😞 If anyone has any tips on to get them working would be grateful 🙏

Apr 24, 2021
Saxmundham, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Since 2013
Gutted to see this, we've got tgis years tessoro413 and having xzent issues, in fact from day 1 it takes ages to find a satellite and majority of the time we have reached destination using phone satnav (finger biting journeys as it doesn't know we a MH) before the xzent kicks in. Spent time in France in the summer and on advice from dealer had the unit out to tighten leads, have kept the unit hanging out to keep fiddling with the leads but still nothing, carry on with phone maps 🫣. Like you we were one day in Russia, scared me a bit so just turned it off 😅. Previous tessoro had the xzent and had similar issues but at least it eventually worked as long as we were on a long enough journey to find a satellite... Have contacted dealer, awaiting response 😞 If anyone has any tips on to get them working would be grateful 🙏
Where is your GRS receiver? They are normally hidden behind the xzent unit and Xzent have issued a service bulletin on how to move them. The instructions are for a left hand drive Transit, I think you can just reverse them for RHD. The link you need is https://www.xzent.com/site/assets/f...285_servicebulletin_gps-reception_en_reva.pdf. You will also need to make sure the software is up to date and you have the latest maps. I think you get one map update free of charge. That should make the unit work. I have not found a solution yet to the unit restarting when the van restarts after the stop/start kicks in, apart from switching the stop/start off! Hope this helps.

nataliearthur

Free Member
Sep 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
benimar tessoro
Where is your GRS receiver? They are normally hidden behind the xzent unit and Xzent have issued a service bulletin on how to move them. The instructions are for a left hand drive Transit, I think you can just reverse them for RHD. The link you need is https://www.xzent.com/site/assets/f...285_servicebulletin_gps-reception_en_reva.pdf. You will also need to make sure the software is up to date and you have the latest maps. I think you get one map update free of charge. That should make the unit work. I have not found a solution yet to the unit restarting when the van restarts after the stop/start kicks in, apart from switching the stop/start off! Hope this helps.
Hi, thanks for the info will look into this, not very techy but can relay to dealer if get stuck 😀 thanks

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Don't Transits sometimes have a heated front screen with the tiny imbedded wires? The wires completely block GPS.

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Just updated software and repositioned GPS antenna from on top of the head unit to its new position as per service bulletin from Xzent and it now works properly.
Not a difficult job on the whole and well worth the effort.
The heated screen is now not causing any issues.
I would guess that it had quite an effect with the original factory fitted position.
The Xzent website is very easy to navigate and everything can be downloaded in English.

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
My unit has been stuck on looking for satellites for the last 600 miles, so it's completely knackered. Tried resetting, Marquis suggested unplugging the unit. No explanation on how to get into the dashboard. Do you any pictures or instructions?. Thanks.

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
My feedback as a previous owner, is that they are junk, just bin it and buy something that works.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
The fascia above the sat nav just lifts off with a bit of effort, there are no screws. Once removed you should see the gps unit and a long lead connecting it to the sat nav. First switch on the sat nav, and go into the INFO section and see how many satellites it sees. It should see about 10 or 11, but probably sees far less. Then move the gps unit, it is only stuck down. Try different positions on the dash and see where the signal is best. BTW you should have no electronics of any sort e'g' phones, positioned near the gps aerial, this will certainly degrade the signal. Make a small notch underneath in the windscreen side of the removed bit of the fascia where you want the cable to pass through, and replace the fascia. Job done.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
If the Xzent is wired to the habitation battery rather than the vehicle battery then the stop start has no effect. It is not an Xzent problem, but a wiring issue.

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
OK. I'll have look in the morning. Thanks.

OP
OP
PaulandAngie
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Just for an update for anyone still persevering with this unit, which when operating normally is a useful satnav!. Pulled the centre panel out to attempt a power reset. I managed eventually to pull everything within reach. All refitted and the unit has unlocked from its cycle. Took the motorhome out yesterday but made an effort to keep the spare satnav off and my phone away from the dashboard and it worked faultlessly all day. Numerous restarts etc . Browsing ebay and seeing this unit at over £600 encouraged the let's have another go! Watch this space!.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We have a Zenec unit, almost the same as the Xzent units.

The solution is total replacement with something made by a reputable company such as Kenwood, Alpine, Panasonic etc. (Cost is the wrong side of £1,000)
or
Simply buy a decent 'stick on the screen' GPS unit. (Cost from £200+)

If you do a search in these pages for the word Zenec you will find a number of threads, the basic issue is:
The units are not very good, Chinese copies of a decent unit.
The software is not really at a release level, it may work, after a fashion.

The (expensive) map updates only fit on an 8 meg sim card that can not be upgraded or changes, which means you can not have all of western Europe for example, you have to select a few countries, if you want more, you will need to remove countries.
The map provided is a copy of the Tom Tom data from about 2012

Mercedes dropped Zenec after 2 years.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
We have a Zenec unit, almost the same as the Xzent units.

The solution is total replacement with something made by a reputable company such as Kenwood, Alpine, Panasonic etc. (Cost is the wrong side of £1,000)
or
Simply buy a decent 'stick on the screen' GPS unit. (Cost from £200+)

If you do a search in these pages for the word Zenec you will find a number of threads, the basic issue is:
The units are not very good, Chinese copies of a decent unit.
The software is not really at a release level, it may work, after a fashion.

The (expensive) map updates only fit on an 8 meg sim card that can not be upgraded or changes, which means you can not have all of western Europe for example, you have to select a few countries, if you want more, you will need to remove countries.
The map provided is a copy of the Tom Tom data from about 2012

Mercedes dropped Zenec after 2 years.
It would seem the Zenec unit you had is far removed from the Xzent I have. For example I do have all of western Europe on it, and the data is certainly not from arount 2012.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back