Bed Sizes (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Still looking for the perfect (for us) replacement for our current van. Just noticed that bed sizes seem to be getting bigger, why? I'm not.

Our current island bed is 1400mm wide eg. A standard double, and this allows a reasonable wardrobe either side. (More reasonable on Her side than mine). New Van's we've looked at are 1600mm wide or as we would say, another 8 inches. This leaves scant room for decent sized wardrobes.

Now, our bed is quite big enough for the both of us but we could always always do with more hanging space. Wonder what other people think.

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
You might not be getting bigger however the vast majority of the population(1st world) are! Serve the market etc. The fuller figure looks like it's the way forward. Just wait for the extra large large seats on aeroplanes to appear!:oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I am only 5'16" and when looking at vans, the bed size is the first thing I look at. If I can't fit, then I discount the van regardless of layout or bells and whistles it has.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I am only 5'16" and when looking at vans, the bed size is the first thing I look at. If I can't fit, then I discount the van regardless of layout or bells and whistles it has.
More the width im looking at

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Still looking for the perfect (for us) replacement for our current van. Just noticed that bed sizes seem to be getting bigger, why? I'm not.

Our current island bed is 1400mm wide eg. A standard double, and this allows a reasonable wardrobe either side. (More reasonable on Her side than mine). New Van's we've looked at are 1600mm wide or as we would say, another 8 inches. This leaves scant room for decent sized wardrobes.

Now, our bed is quite big enough for the both of us but we could always always do with more hanging space. Wonder what other people think.
Have a look at the height of the schoolkids next time you drive past a seniors school.
I'm 6ft 2in my other half Mrsambulancekidd is 5ft 11in & usually we have to look up at youngsters, what does that tell you?
Beds need to be bigger, less room for showers that we've never used & silly little cupboards.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We had the opposite problem when looking for our first van. It was suprising how meany beds were exactly 6ft long or less. At 6ft long I need a bit more leg room to stretch out.
The Rienza we have now being rear lounge means a big square bed with chance for my feet to overhand the end.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I'm 6ft 2in my other half @Mrsambulancekidd is 5ft 11in & usually we have to look up at youngsters, what does that tell you?
It tell
Have a look at the height of the schoolkids next time you drive past a seniors school.
I'm 6ft 2in my other half Mrsambulancekidd is 5ft 11in & usually we have to look up at youngsters, what does that tell you?
Beds need to be bigger, less room for showers that we've never used & silly little cupboards.
It tells me each to his own. My point was about the width of beds not the length but I understand your point. We also use our shower quite a bit.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It tell

It tells me each to his own. My point was about the width of beds not the length but I understand your point. We also use our shower quite a bit.
But if you are both tall, like us and the ambulancekidd ‘s, then width is important too. There is nothing worse than feeling that you are shoved into a coffin.
I feel so frustrated about it, not being able to do things comfortably or to buy clothes and shoes that fit and having to put up with comments that I want to start #talllivesmatter

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
It's not much better being short where clothes are concerned! I can't buy trousers that fit - I always have to shorten them!
Me too. Long body, short legs. My wife would have to take up kids clothes to fit her.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Just to add to my reference to the rear lounge we have.It is almost square meaning we could use it either way.
As singles they are as wide as most house beds with the right combination of cushions. It just leaves room to walk between the beds.
The single beds in the Duetto were not as wide but neither me or my son are very wide so didn’t find it a problem.
I can’t remember what van it was but the single beds were not very wide. The salesman said they were child beds. It was a double bed or two child beds. That was listed as a two berth. We didn’t buy that one.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
One of the priorities when we start looking next year for an upgrade will be wider single beds. We are far from rotund, in fact quite fit (ish). Both 5.10". We find the single beds in our Imala far too narrow.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Small sample but it looks like I'm in the minority in wanting a standard double 1400mm or 4'6" bed. Strangely we changed our bed at home last year and stepped up from 5' to 6' wide. She calls it our trial seperation bed but I know she's only joking.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
My wife is 5ft, my daughter is 5ft 5, my 11 year old baby granddaughter is 5ft 5 and still growing fast.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
You might not be getting bigger however the vast majority of the population(1st world) are! Serve the market etc. The fuller figure looks like it's the way forward. Just wait for the extra large large seats on aeroplanes to appear!:oops:
I think they are coming, seen in an Italian bus a couple of years ago,

normal size
WP_20140902_020.jpg

and Plus size
WP_20140902_021.jpg

Cheers

Trevor

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Go naturist then you don’t need so many clothes. Our wardrobe now has room for the Dukdalf chairs, the 100watt folding solar panel, and shoes / sandals.
Oh, and some clothes 😜
Mitch.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
At least you can shorten them. Adding to the length is rather more difficult :(
Exactly!
As this thread resurrected, I will report to Mrsambulancekidd and anyone else over 5’ 10”, since lockdown I have rediscovered Cotton Traders. Many womens trousers in 34” inside leg.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
since lockdown I have rediscovered Cotton Traders. Many womens trousers in 34” inside leg.
Thank you, your a star, but do you not find that they add to the leg length and forget we are longer from crotch to waist too.

Guess what I found out yesterday, Long Tall Sally are doing more generous sizes for the customer who have gone north & south, in my case east & west too.:giggle: I have ordered a couple of tops and some trousers, so we will see how it goes.
I still have a full length evening dress from LTS that I only wore to two army do's about 20 years ago, I was checking out the prices they charge now because I really should sell it. But with that dress I had to buy a size 18 when I was a size 14 simply because of my bust.....so we will see if my backside defeats them this time.:unsure:;)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you, your a star, but do you not find that they add to the leg length and forget we are longer from crotch to waist too.

Guess what I found out yesterday, Long Tall Sally are doing more generous sizes for the customer who have gone north & south, in my case east & west too.:giggle: I have ordered a couple of tops and some trousers, so we will see how it goes.
I still have a full length evening dress from LTS that I only wore to two army do's about 20 years ago, I was checking out the prices they charge now because I really should sell it. But with that dress I had to buy a size 18 when I was a size 14 simply because of my bust.....so we will see if my backside defeats them this time.:unsure:;)
No of course they do not put the extra in from crotch to waist ! but helpfully many have elasticated waist so although “waistband” is around hips /tummy rather than waist, still fits.
I have same problem with bust and shoulders 🤣
These super stretchy fabric ones very forgiving! Sorry 33” inside leg not 34” that is LTS. - and I can get the dog treats in the back pocket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back