Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

Hoping to get some advice
After our first 2 weekends away In our recently purchased 2nd hand mh i think the leisure batteries are past their best.

We have 2 leisure batteries with a solar panel.

From fully charged we arent getting thru an evening of normal use. Last time with the heating on (diesel heater and fan) lights few toilet flushes washing up done after dinner we got 20 mins into a DVD movie and the tv went off. Then 10 mins later the heating and lights forcing an early night. I am assuming I could expect better with new batteries??

I know from previous owner they are at least 6 years old. Van has an inverter fitted also so guessing they have been well used. Not sure we would ever need the inverter tho.

What how many nights of typical use like above should I expect from new batteries?

Then of course what do I need to consider when choosing what to replace with.

Thanks

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
I've got a single 90Ah leisure battery and it lasts about 3 days with poor solar input and about double with good solar. Our heating is gas which uses less battery than diesel.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, you need to swap out your batteries, at least one of your batteries has packed up, probably both. 6 years is a reasonable age, especially as most of us abuse them, so they've done OK (y)

But if you want more early nights, keep them a while longer ;)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I don't have a solar panel on mine (although I do have portable ones)
but I can do an entire weekend of TV and phone charging and ipad charging and radio and lights and shower pump without issue on a single 100ah banner
(Heating, fridge and hot water are gas)
First at least check the solar panel is working and the batteries are being charged by both that and the engine (ignore what any control panel may tell you is going on) before actually forking out on new batteries (but probably is them that's gone after 6 years)
Presumably you have the fridge on gas not 12v (although this should only work with the engine running)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back