Batteries (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I need new leisure batteries in my fiat and know the battery size to go under the swivel seats are 188mm high, I’d like to know if has anyone fitted the 190mm high ones. Lenny HB I shall be coming to you for advice on batteries.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
These fit under my 2006 fiat and they’re 230mm high.

Ian
Thanks for your reply, my fiat Benimar294 2017 is low profile battery, but how low?, there seems to be quite a few to choose from at 190mm but only one at 188mm.
Broken Link Removed
I read somewhere that because of the swivel seats they have to be 188mm high, so I’m hoping someone has fitted a 190mm.

Mickey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for your reply, my fiat Benimar294 2017 is low profile battery, but how low?, there seems to be quite a few to choose from at 190mm but only one at 188mm.
Broken Link Removed
I read somewhere that because of the swivel seats they have to be 188mm high, so I’m hoping someone has fitted a 190mm.

Mickey.

If 2mm extra height actually makes a difference I’d just add a couple of washers to the seat base mounting points to raise it 2mm but I’d be surprised if it’s that critical.

Ian

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
My Green Power 85 amps Leisure battery has died om me , could you advise me where to get another please? and if I get one and keep it ready for the lock down to end , would that be practical? or should I wait? I'm totally a dork as regards this sort of thing.:unsure:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The short answer is I can't actually find an NDS Green Power battery that's 85Ah, but I can suggest a 90Ah one. The extra 5Ah is not a problem, it just gives a bit of extra capacity so it will do the same job for longer. It is worth checking the measurements, because often the battery is a tight fit in a space, so one a bit larger might not fit. As you can see from the link, the dimensions are 306mm x 169mm x 215mm (L x W x H).

The longer answer is, has it died because it's at the end of a long service life, or has it not lasted as long as expected? Some of these batteries, a type called AGM, seem to have a short life, sometimes less than two years. Is that a problem you are having?

If you buy a new battery and it's not going to be used, it needs to be stored fully charged, and topped up regularly, every month or so. A smart trickle charger will do that. I'd recommend a CTEK MSX5.0, which is fully automatic and can be left connected indefinitely, so it doesn't matter if you forget to disconnect it. Others recommend an Optimate charger, which also works fine.

If you install it in the motorhome, maybe you can charge it from the mains electric hookup (EHU) every month or so - the motorhome has a built-in charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would be wary of using AGM leisure batteries unless your charger and alternator can supply the right current. Our Burstner was fitted with one but the handbook made a point of saying to charge the batteries up fully at every opportunity, before and after a trip. Made me think the alternator couldn’t supply enough current, though the onboard charger had an AGM setting.

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
Thanks for the advice , I have owned the van about 2 1/2 years and have no idea how old the battery is
I do have a trickle charger , but I will need to keep the battery in the house as my van is parked on the road, no EHU available sadly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back