Banged up to rights (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yesterday I received what I hope is the final chapter of our recent trip to the Mosel Valley.

A nice letter from the German Police telling me that I owe them some money. In German but thankfully also in English. 93kph in a 80kph limit on the A1 at Mehren. Photos of me and the number plate included. Think it was where the A48 met the A1 and I think that I may not have slowed down quickly enough where the limit changed.

The fine was only 25 Euros so no point worrying. Took an hour or two working out how I could pay. They only accepted direct payment into their bank account so it ended up costing me over £32 including Lloyds' excessive charges.

So DVLA are clearly cooperating now with European police. Wonder if that will continue after B****t.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Yesterday I received what I hope is the final chapter of our recent trip to the Mosel Valley.

A nice letter from the German Police telling me that I owe them some money. In German but thankfully also in English. 93kph in a 80kph limit on the A1 at Mehren. Photos of me and the number plate included. Think it was where the A48 met the A1 and I think that I may not have slowed down quickly enough where the limit changed.

The fine was only 25 Euros so no point worrying. Took an hour or two working out how I could pay. They only accepted direct payment into their bank account so it ended up costing me over £32 including Lloyds' excessive charges.

So DVLA are clearly cooperating now with European police. Wonder if that will continue after B****t.

Revolut!.......no charges:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Use a Revolut card to pay. Just enter details in the app and transfer for Zero!
Thanks, but don't have one and don't really ever have the need for it. We get a very good exchange rate and no charges with the wife's Nationwide credit card and we always take enough Euros with us for cash and again bought at a very good rate. This is the first fine I have had in the last 5 years of motorhoming abroad and I would hope it will be at least the same period before the next one.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks, but don't have one and don't really ever have the need for it. We get a very good exchange rate and no charges with the wife's Nationwide credit card and we always take enough Euros with us for cash and again bought at a very good rate. This is the first fine I have had in the last 5 years of motorhoming abroad and I would hope it will be at least the same period before the next one.
Still worth examination for many reasons.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Caxton also do free international transfers to bank accounts, 'tis how I paid my Italian fine. Same rate as if I were buying cash to top up the card.

Just for info to anyone who's interested.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I can only hope that these traffic violation fines work both ways and the Uk are receiving the fines from foreign drivers breaking our traffic laws?, or will pigs fly after B....t
Les

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
how can a german fine be enforced in the UK? I personally wouldn’t pay it but that’s just me,
I consider i pay enough already into the Europe coffers in other ways:D

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
how can a german fine be enforced in the UK? I personally wouldn’t pay it but that’s just me,
But what happens if you want to return to Germany?
Unless you've sold the van your number plate is likely to come up on a camera (ANPR?) somewhere and its into the clink for you. :(

Richard.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
But what happens if you want to return to Germany?
Unless you've sold the van your number plate is likely to come up on a camera (ANPR?) somewhere and its into the clink for you. :(

Richard.
Or you change your MH but transfer your personal plate on to it Richard ??:whistle:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
They will chase you through the UK county court system. They’ll win , you get a CCJ and destroy your credit rating plus all the costs incurred..
just accept the inevitable and pay up.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They only accepted direct payment into their bank account so it ended up costing me over £32 including Lloyds' excessive charges.
There shouldn't be any charges under the SEPA system ? I use it quite often & have never paid any?
I can only hope that these traffic violation fines work both ways and the Uk are receiving the fines from foreign drivers breaking our traffic laws?, or will pigs fly after B....t
Les
They would do if the UK asked but they don't because everyone else sends the fine to the owner but the UK system means they only want to fine the actual driver.

EU directive been in since 2017 , UK ,Ireland & Denmark refused to begin with so they made it a safety matter, which is automatic & cannot be opted out of, so the UK had to sign up.They can ask for the info up to 12 months from the date of the offence.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Les
Won’t work the other way around as in Europe it the owner of the car over here it’s the driver so if we can’t say who was driving then the answer is NO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back