Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
...towing, for the use of.

Can any Spanish residents who responded to my insurance query help with this, please ?

I'll need to have a towbar fitted to the second-hand car I'll buy once ensconced in Murcia. The car will come from a 'main dealer'. (Ford, Citroen or Kia)

Is this a main-dealer only type jobbie in Spain or are there independent fitters ?

I asked on the Costa Calida forum but the only replies I got were advising to ensure the vehicle's paperwork was updated ....

It's to hang my Thule bike-rack on.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is classed as " major addition" & requires the towbar to be fitted by someone who has the necessary piece of paper that states he can & allows it to be registered on the ficha tecnica.
Any garage can fit one usually.
Just ensure that if you buy a 'small' car it can actually have a tow bar fitted.Many can't.
It will usually cost a minimum of around 500€. I had one fitted to my van just before Christmas costing 480€ & that included supplying, fitting, wiring , taking to the itv station & having it put on the ficha.
If you aren't actually going to tow anything with it why not get a decent boot mounted bike rack & a V20 sign & light board .Probably cheaper.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Gus do you need to to have it added to the equivalent of the V5 docs over there ? (i ask as here we do, ie it needs a technical approval after fitting)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gus do you need to to have it added to the equivalent of the V5 docs over there ? (i ask as here we do, ie it needs a technical approval after fitting)
Yes . we have 2 documents here. The first is the 'ficha Tecníca' whish contains all the technical details of what the vehicle is, type, weight , tare, etc, classification, tyre size , alternative size if allowed , length ,width height, Any additions like towbars, bull bars . My last mpv even the auto gearbox, sunroof were on it.
2nd is the 'Permiso' which is more like a V5 containing who is registered keeper but no address, which is a documanet allowing the vehicle to be on the road as long as accompanied bya current ITV (mot).

At the moment I am converting my van ,which is classed as a commercial vehicle at present ,to a different classification which hopefully will be similar to 'camper van in the UK & which will also mean reverting to yearly ITV's instead of the 6 month ones,commercials need once over 10 years old.
To do this you have to have a licensed engineer draw up a 'projecto tecnico', technical project.
There goes one arm. Then there'll be a need for a gas test , three fingers probably along with an electrical test, more fingers . Then I have to get my friendly garage man to supply more paper stating that all equipment has been installed by him correctly . More fingers
Once I have assembled this feast of papers I can then take it to the ITV station & get them to change it correctly & supply a new 'Ficha tecnica'.
The likelihood of this actually occurring 1st time is as remote as me waking up tomorrow 40 years younger.
The tow bar fitted by the garage at christmas ended up with 46 sheets of paper.?? No idea why ? Last time I had one fitted in 2003 I added it myself using the 2 pieces of paper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back