Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Hi,

Is this awning salvageable. It’s a 4.5 meter 5500 and I believe it’s about £900 for a new one !

Shower tray....is this salvageable or is what looks like a chewing gum repair good enough. Also looks like it’s got a hairline crack. Just trying to negotiate a price with a dealer for my new (to me) MH. I believe replacing a shower tray is quite costly. Anyone know how costly ?

3DED972D-8255-4A0D-967C-2E8C2E9DE866.jpeg
8E00E21D-1627-47BF-B363-FDCEF041014D.jpeg
2D6B5ED2-6E9C-4A08-B334-148379843ABA.jpeg
DD8C9321-FAD0-435E-B58A-9DD427DB8B2B.jpeg

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I can tell you that there are definitely spares available for the awning - we broke a ceiling arm in a bad storm and was easy to get a part - it does look a little from the pictures that the roof is torn - if the rest of the structure is OK then might be able to just replace the roof but it will be a hassle getting it right. IMHO - a new one would work out easier.

Shower trays notoriously difficult depending on how they have been fitted. I know people do repair them - someone will be along to give you good advice I am sure

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I bought replacement fabric for mine here:

Someone will be along with details of a firm that does a brilliant job on shower trays - unfortunately I can't remember the name of either the firm or the process :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Speedcoat repair for the shower tray around £350.

Had mine done after a large crack and looks better than new and a good guarantee too.

Just one example for dealers who are speedcoat authorised dealers. Google will find your closest one for quotes.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I bought replacement fabric for mine here:

Someone will be along with details of a firm that does a brilliant job on shower trays - unfortunately I can't remember the name of either the firm or the process :giggle:
Ah yes I’ve been there....I called them up and the cost of a replacement awning wasn’t far short of a new awning £700 as opposed to £900 I think it was....and it can take up to 10 weeks to get a new canvass....so I thought new awning or patch up. There was another firm in Dorset Lenny HB mentioned but can’t remember their name. He said he would have to see the rest of the awning mechanism to see if it was worth just replacing the canvass...trouble is I haven’t bought the van yet.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Get all the prices. Now it’s time to haggle hard. ? How much? what with this that and the other to replace.?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi,

Is this awning salvageable. It’s a 4.5 meter 5500 and I believe it’s about £900 for a new one !

Shower tray....is this salvageable or is what looks like a chewing gum repair good enough. Also looks like it’s got a hairline crack. Just trying to negotiate a price with a dealer for my new (to me) MH. I believe replacing a shower tray is quite costly. Anyone know how costly ?

View attachment 364259View attachment 364260View attachment 364261View attachment 364262
Hmm careful with the shower tray Alex, you dont know how long it was leaking before they fixed it and where the water went. this is a problem with some early artos as well.

Personally I wouldnt worry about the blind, Ive had a rip just like that in mine for at least the last 5 years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Rose awning are the people in Poole, I expect they will tell you the same.

As Jon says be wary of the shower damage.
Keep looking you should find plenty of vans in Germany with a good shower they are often traded in with the shower unused.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
The awning I would not worry about, new one £1000. My concern would be the shower tray. Could be a big bill to fit new one and the damage underneath it that could have been done by it leaking for however long. I would be looking at a big discount in the price they want for it. (y)

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hmm careful with the shower tray Alex, you dont know how long it was leaking before they fixed it and where the water went. this is a problem with some early artos as well.

Personally I wouldnt worry about the blind, Ive had a rip just like that in mine for at least the last 5 years.
Rose awning are the people in Poole, I expect they will tell you the same.

As Jon says be wary of the shower damage.
Keep looking you should find plenty of vans in Germany with a good shower they are often traded in with the shower unused.
Yes trouble is I am having to do all this by looking at pictures and relying on sellers description/honesty. What I really need to do is go around Germany in a MH and look at them all in situ.....trouble is I haven’t got a MH at the moment as my B544 (see field left) was hit by a bolt of lighting in Spain and burnt to the ground ☹️. What with that and my Slovenian motorway fine €300, Belgium taking a picture fine €110 and French speeding fine €45 (going up to €180) I am beginning to believe I may have led a pretty bad previous life.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry I just had to give that a funny, sorry about the loss of the Hymer, I assume your insurance paid out OK.
What was the Belgium taking picture fine?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How can they possibly demand £700 for a piece of fabric.
Those are Saville Row prices but they include making a suit from it as well
Absolute rip-off.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
As they only slide in why not try a deckchair manufacturer or a local roller blind shop my one is too far from you. It is Tudor Blinds In Charlton SE7 I am sure that he could get one made to size for much less than £900

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Sorry I just had to give that a funny, sorry about the loss of the Hymer, I assume your insurance paid out OK.
What was the Belgium taking picture fine?
Well on my way back from Holland to see a Hymer 644 in my car I got caught in a huge queue....at a stand still for 1.5 hours ! Three lorries had collided, one turned over so as I was going past at 1Km per hour I took my dog n bone out and took a picture as evidence for the missus as to why I was an hour and a half late and hadn’t taken a break to sample some Belgium beers, where upon a Belgian Gendarme appeared out of nowhere on a motorcycle and pulled me over. He said that was what probably caused the accident in the first place...someone using a mobile phone. I calmly explained I wasn’t talking on it only taking a picture and going at 1 kph...if the lorry driver had been doing the same I very much doubted whether this would have been the reason for such an horrific accident...where upon he took my licence and explained I had to give him €110. I began to explain that in England you are presumed innocent until proven guilty and that police didn’t have the right to take money off you only to probably spend it down the local rub a dub that evening....he didn’t look too pleased so I just kicked him behind the knees so he dropped to the floor like the Slovenian and karate chopped him in the neck....I have now boycotted Belgium as well......

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hymerbell I'm sure that this thought has already occurred to you, but just in case it hasn't....have you considered just getting a cheap wizz-air flight and hiring a cheap opel corsa or similar for a good look around? Use either cheap hotels or even better, cheap AirBnB's to stay in while you are looking? We are planning a summer trip to do similar to what you are talking about and that is our preferred plan right now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Silly boy, I'm sure you know that it's illegal in the UK for the driver to use a mobile with the engine running even if parked.
I wish the UK plod were as diligent when you see all the idiots we get driving around with phones glued to their ear.

Now if you had obeyed the law you would have had another €500 towards your new Hymer. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Speedcoat for the shower tray we had ours done by Stuart Hopton
North Wales brilliant job but as others have said whats going on beneath the tray re rot etc?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Yes trouble is I am having to do all this by looking at pictures and relying on sellers description/honesty. What I really need to do is go around Germany in a MH and look at them all in situ.....trouble is I haven’t got a MH at the moment as my B544 (see field left) was hit by a bolt of lighting in Spain and burnt to the ground ☹. What with that and my Slovenian motorway fine €300, Belgium taking a picture fine €110 and French speeding fine €45 (going up to €180) I am beginning to believe I may have led a pretty bad previous life.

Is your middle name lucky?

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Silly boy, I'm sure you know that it's illegal in the UK for the driver to use a mobile with the engine running even if parked.
I wish the UK plod were as diligent when you see all the idiots we get driving around with phones glued to their ear.

Now if you had obeyed the law you would have had another €500 towards your new Hymer. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I agree Lenny....HOWEVER I differentiate between driving along having a conversation on a phone at 50 mph AND passing an accident and taking a photograph with a phone at 1mph. I’m not even sure it is against the law anywhere....supposing I was taking a photo of lions with an Olympus Trip at Longleat travelling at 5mph...is that against the law....anyway lesson learnt...don’t go to Belgium ?.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hymerbell I'm sure that this thought has already occurred to you, but just in case it hasn't....have you considered just getting a cheap wizz-air flight and hiring a cheap opel corsa or similar for a good look around? Use either cheap hotels or even better, cheap AirBnB's to stay in while you are looking? We are planning a summer trip to do similar to what you are talking about and that is our preferred plan right now.
Hi RubyOptics

Yes not a bad idea...however I’ve had 20 years of having the freedom a MH allows. The thought of booking and checking into a bunch of cheap hotels on a tour of Germany with dodgy mattresses and joining everyone for a rubbery (no offence to any Chinese Funsters reading this)
breakfast in the restaurant in the morning fills me with horror.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
As they only slide in why not try a deckchair manufacturer or a local roller blind shop my one is too far from you. It is Tudor Blinds In Charlton SE7 I am sure that he could get one made to size for much less than £900
Hmm...a deck chair manufacturer...I’ll have a think about that one....it might fold up on me when sitting under it though....Charlton SE7 ? I have a friend who lived near there years ago....Kidbrook Estate....what the hell are deck chair manufacturers doing running a business from there !

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Replacing the fabric is easier than it might appear - it simply slides out of both the front rail and roller.
I've not actually done this, but I'd think it's worth trying to slide it out, trim off 100mm and slide it back in. At both ends if necessary. That's assuming it's wind damage and not weakness due to degradation.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hymerbell that's why I mentioned the Airbnb option. We have used it frequently on journeys through Germany and have not had a single bad experience yet to be honest. Plus, as you would be traveling out of season, the prices would, I imagine, be very affordable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back