Awning height and reccomendations (1 Viewer)

Witchwood

Free Member
Jun 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
marmite1
We have just bought a swift kontiki 665. It has not come with an awning, but has a rail. We are looking for an awning but not too sure what to get! We have measured the rail and it is 258 from the ground to the rail. Most awnings we have seen are max 250 height. Ideally we would have an enclosed awning,... somewhere weather proof and for a small 'pup' tent. We quite like the Kampa but only goes to 250cm. Also the Dometic air and the Sunncamp for the price. Although have read some bad reviews on the Sunncamp? Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
This one goes from 245-295cm You need the “tall” version of a drive away awning 👍🏻

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Witchwood

Free Member
Jun 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
marmite1
This one goes from 245-295cm You need the “tall” version of a drive away awning 👍🏻

I really like this one! It is pretty much what we are looking for...Thank you. Not available til end of August though... but could make do with a cheapy until then

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
First, You need to check the size of the awning rail Grove is it 4mm or 6mm.
Then you will be able to start looking for tall awnings.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
We quite like the Kampa but only goes to 250cm.
The XL Kampa Motor Rally air pro goes up to 2.8m

606F46DE-7BB0-42C2-B85B-BCC88A5D4978.jpeg

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Some of the better retailers will invite you to visit, they measure and then advise which models will fit. (Eg Crowland Caravans offer this service)

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We have just bought a swift kontiki 665. It has not come with an awning, but has a rail. We are looking for an awning but not too sure what to get! We have measured the rail and it is 258 from the ground to the rail. Most awnings we have seen are max 250 height. Ideally we would have an enclosed awning,... somewhere weather proof and for a small 'pup' tent. We quite like the Kampa but only goes to 250cm. Also the Dometic air and the Sunncamp for the price. Although have read some bad reviews on the Sunncamp? Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
Hi Witchwood
How old is the van?
Does it have a wind out canopy?
At 258cm, nearly 8 and a half feet, on a rail only, unless you can access the rail from a low height you may struggle to get upto the rail height to thread an awning into the rail.( useing a step ladder? )
Unless of course you have a wind out canopy and can wind out to attach the awning and then wind back in to the start height.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Witchwood

Free Member
Jun 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
marmite1
Hi Witchwood
How old is the van?
Does it have a wind out canopy?
At 258cm, nearly 8 and a half feet, on a rail only, unless you can access the rail from a low height you may struggle to get upto the rail height to thread an awning into the rail.( useing a step ladder? )
Unless of course you have a wind out canopy and can wind out to attach the awning and then wind back in to the start height.
Its 2005... No wind out canopy. We have already put a step ladder in the van ready!

Upvote 0

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
We have this one for sale. If you have an interest the you can message me on here for more info.
DJT
97EB380A-8CDB-4B67-BBA0-29C70F147A3A.png
CA74C5B8-71F9-4A89-B422-C67322C3F756.png
A5795B33-C9D8-4A91-80B1-C237C59BB5A3.jpeg

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Its 2005... No wind out canopy. We have already put a step ladder in the van ready!
My rail is at 295cm and believe me, on a ladder, that is scary and at 258cm, balancing on a ladder, one handed , then none handed as you grapple with threading the awning in, on uneven or soft ground, in possible failing light, you may find that also.
So, faced with either buying and fitting a wind out canopy at anywhere between £599 and 1099, or going for a stand alone shelter , easy to put up, and can be left in place when van needed to be moved and not have to worry about accurate parting when returning to connect back up, weren’t for a stand alone unit, Quechua airbase shelter.
Goes up in minutes and very roomy.
Also, a lot of people look at the quest screen house range, which are also shelters and easy to put up.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
And if you haven’t got a wind out,
Thank you! would be Looking for the 390 though.
think you would be struggling to attach it to the rail.
They are not that light, and bulky when attempting to thread into a channel at height, hence the wind out, attach, and retract to height to give door opening clearance.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I really like this one! It is pretty much what we are looking for...Thank you. Not available til end of August though... but could make do with a cheapy until then
You can’t go wrong with Vango . We got ours from a Funster in the classified section and it’s been a game changer for our holidays . So quick to set up and pack down and the extra space makes it feel like a proper holiday home , with a big family it’s been nice to have . We don’t use it unless we are away for 2 nights or more . As mentioned in the past , the only pain is packing away if wet as you have to dry out when you get home .

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have a 669. We have a Kampa air awning. I don’t know how long you awning is but if you need to roll it out to slide the awning into the rail which I assume is on your Awning you may find it to heavy to wind in. This has been a problem for us and I have thought of fitting s second awning rail about 1 1/2 inches below the Fiamma main rail. There is a risk of damage when winding the awning back with the Kampa attached.
you will of course need steps to slide it in otherwise.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Witchwood

Free Member
Jun 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
marmite1
Thank you everyone. We have decided to go for an Outdoor Revolution Movelite T4 highline. The price is better than a Vango, and they are due back in stock with suppliers this week.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2021
Locks Heath, Park Gate, Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 2014
Hi I recently tried an Outdoor Revolution Movelite T4 highline on my Autotrail Tracker which has a wind out awning that is 255cms high at the front and 260cms high at he rear. When it was connected the correct distance from the motorhome there was far too much material even with all the adjustments done that I could see. This resulted in the awning billowing around in breeze and it looks awful. When it rained heavily water pooled in the excess tunnel material and did not run off. In the end I disconnected the tunnel from the motorhome and used the awning as a stand alone - which worked fine.
I have posted a separate thread asking if anyone can tell me if the Midline version of the awning is a better fit - please answer on my discussion thread if you have the answer!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
Re Kampa's measuring instructions, I note they specify that the van should be on level ground. And when it's up on levelling ramps? Your awning may not touch the ground. Awkward. I would add at least half the height of the ramps to be on the safe side.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Just decided to sell our Vango drive away awning. Only used it once. The awning has an internal carpet. Let us know

Attachments

• 88B17418-7E10-4E1A-880E-47F257D5CD43.jpeg
    88B17418-7E10-4E1A-880E-47F257D5CD43.jpeg
    542.7 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have a 669. We have a Kampa air awning. I don’t know how long you awning is but if you need to roll it out to slide the awning into the rail which I assume is on your Awning you may find it to heavy to wind in. This has been a problem for us and I have thought of fitting s second awning rail about 1 1/2 inches below the Fiamma main rail. There is a risk of damage when winding the awning back with the Kampa attached.
you will of course need steps to slide it in otherwise.
Hi Martin,
We have the Kampa awning, the best way to fit it to the wind out canopy is to first wind out the canopy until you can reach the edge to slide in the awning, support the canopy with the canopy legs, when fitted fold the legs away but support the canopy as you wind it back in.
This will help and make the winding back in so much easier.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Martin,
We have the Kampa awning, the best way to fit it to the wind out canopy is to first wind out the canopy until you can reach the edge to slide in the awning, support the canopy with the canopy legs, when fitted fold the legs away but support the canopy as you wind it back in.
This will help and make the winding back in so much easier.
I just pop riveted an awning rail to the bottom of the wind out saves stressing it and easier to do😊

Upvote 0

kelleri

Free Member
Aug 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
fiat adria coral xl
Just decided to sell our Vango drive away awning. Only used it once. The awning has an internal carpet. Let us kn
And if you haven’t got a wind out,

think you would be struggling to attach it to the rail.
They are not that light, and bulky when attempting to thread into a channel at height, hence the wind out, attach, and retract to height to give door opening clearance.
Sorry for the question but this is all new to me, I’m hiring a motorhome next month to take the dogs on holiday and want to buy an awning to give them a bit more space, I’m looking at Kampa 330 and 350’s but all seem to be 235-250cm height. The motorhome we’re hiring has a wind out awning, have I read your post right in that I can attach the Kampa to the wind out and then retract that back to give me a little extra height or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick? Thanks in advance, Kelly

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
A standard awning bead will not fit the wind out slot its a different size.
How about using the wi d out and a decent wind break to create a large compound area.
Unless you want it completely enclosed.

If you do uou need to know the height to the awni g rail Grove and the ground also the correct kedar strip size to fit the awning groove.

Upvote 0

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
I have a KAMPA DOMETIC RALLY AIR PRO LARGE advertised on classified adds on here Including photos of the actual awning in situ on our van.
The add has all info and spec i.e. height etc and might just be what you are looking for.
Contact me via the contact seller on this site if you think it would work for you and we can discuss it.
Best Regards
DJT

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
The motorhome we’re hiring has a wind out awning, have I read your post right in that I can attach the Kampa to the wind out and then retract that back to give me a little extra height or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick? Thanks in advance, Kelly
It won’t actually give you extra height, but it will mean that you don’t have to reach up so high when your erecting the awning, if you lowerr the wind out, slide the beading in and then retract the wind out back up.

The Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro actually has two sizes of beading sown in for different rail sizes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back