Avtex (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am about to buy a 24” avtex but avtex say I cannot get Netflix and Apple TV. Does anyone know a way around this, thanks

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes. It isn't worth getting smart TV. The "smart" features tend to get dropped by the manufacturer in a year or two. They usually have poor implementation, too, with ropey processors that can't keep up and low quality remote controls.

Just get a normal TV and an external stick, which will be constantly updated to work with content providers and, if it doesn't, can easily and cheaply be replaced by a new one that does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
There are Freeview/Freesat and all the catch-up services on the Avtex. For Netflix, YouTube and other subscription services, you will, as mentioned, need a Firestick or similar device.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes. It isn't worth getting smart TV. The "smart" features tend to get dropped by the manufacturer in a year or two. They usually have poor implementation, too, with ropey processors that can't keep up and low quality remote controls.

Just get a normal TV and an external stick, which will be constantly updated to work with content providers and, if it doesn't, can easily and cheaply be replaced by a new one that does.

EXACTLY (y) (y)
Whatever smart TV comes out, either the content / apps / providers can change or the processor speed and memory gets improved over time and they start to look very slow in operation. Plus in options like a Firestick or Android box is a better option.

OP
OP
dulvil
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for replies , can you tell me if you can run firestick of 12 volt rather than inverter as we don’t usually go on ehh

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for replies , can you tell me if you can run firestick of 12 volt rather than inverter as we don’t usually go on ehh

Firestick is USB. On most TVs it can run off the built in USB socket used for showing holiday snaps. However, not all TVs have enough power output and some are missing the USB socket altogether. If either applies, you can run it off a 12V USB car charger.

OP
OP
dulvil
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Firestick is USB. On most TVs it can run off the built in USB socket used for showing holiday snaps. However, not all TVs have enough power output and some are missing the USB socket altogether. If either applies, you can run it off a 12V USB car charger.
Thanks

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've just replaced our rather heavy Avtex DVD/sat combo for a lightweight LG tv with no DVD which runs on 19v, not much use on a 12v motorhome I hear you say, well I've always carried a 12v to 19v adapter for my laptop & this happily powers the new tv, then I have a 2TB external hard drive for my movies. The external box is bus powered, so for those who are not in the know, bus powered draws its power from the tv itself, so again, works well on 12v. Its a nice neat very light setup & I'm delighted with it.
I can also shove in a 32g memory stick & live record from the tv.
My old Avtex tv wouldn't run my external hard drive & only responded to proper Avtex memory sticks, 8gb, totally useless.

My next addition will be a firestick or similar, now that'll be new territory for me, so I'm reading with great interest.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
In 2018 I got a large (65"?) Sony smart TV, every month or five it looks into its own navel and updates itself for 3 or 4 minutes, and then trundles along happily. Get good HD (and very good UHD (via the internet). No regrets in buying it for home use; how it would appreciate being shaken, rattled and rolled in a moho is anyone's guess. So when out and about, I've got a:

Avtex L249DRS-PRO; that's got two USB slots we use for viewing and recording programmes. This set is oodles better than our previous Avtex 219-whatever (sorry, can't remember its full-name, except :swear2: ). As I'm just a simple soul I only go for simple (for me) solutions.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Don't buy an Avtex if you want anything more than terrestrial tv via an aerial or satellite. I bought the 21 inch "connected tv" which it isn't! Only BBC iPlayer gives live tv all the other tv channel apps are only catch up. My work around was to buy a Firestick (without volume control) and short USB lead to power it off the USB socket. Works very well and to be honest the picture quality is good. It also fits my storage cupboard so OK in that respect.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I power my firestick from the usb on my Finlux tv.
I was wondering if using the firestick rather than the Humax freesat box would use less power.

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018

I use one of these with my Avtex tv. Works really well and powered by the tv's own usb socket. I pair it with my Android phone and it pulls in all the usual freeview channels, netflix etc. "Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player" I think it's the most expensive in the range of Roku sticks but it's got a big aerial that can pull in a WiFi signal from further away, so good if you are using site WiFi. Often on offer on Amazon.​

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

I use one of these with my Avtex tv. Works really well and powered by the tv's own usb socket. I pair it with my Android phone and it pulls in all the usual freeview channels, netflix etc. "Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player" I think it's the most expensive in the range of Roku sticks but it's got a big aerial that can pull in a WiFi signal from further away, so good if you are using site WiFi. Often on offer on Amazon.​

We like the Roku as in the past they were the only one to have all the steaming services we required . Just got another one today for the Avtex in the front dinette .
D896F945-DD9C-4284-AAC2-5AB57798E43B.jpeg
👍🏻

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I too am struggling with my "connected" Avtex tv. Works well one minute then simply will not connect next minute. Phoned tech support now 3 times...responses were " you need to update the software" the first time...all done seemed ok...3 weeks later " oh yeah just factory reset" ....and again today... let's "check to see if you have the latest software..oh okay that's the latest... I know let's...factory reset," That does work but it ain't the point. Premium price point for clearly not a premium product. E mail going to them tomorrow. Gonna tell them to stuff it I think as not fit for purpose.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I too am struggling with my "connected" Avtex tv. Works well one minute then simply will not connect next minute. Phoned tech support now 3 times...responses were " you need to update the software" the first time...all done seemed ok...3 weeks later " oh yeah just factory reset" ....and again today... let's "check to see if you have the latest software..oh okay that's the latest... I know let's...factory reset," That does work but it ain't the point. Premium price point for clearly not a premium product. E mail going to them tomorrow. Gonna tell them to stuff it I think as not fit for purpose.
That’s a shame to hear as the “ basic “ Avtex sets work very well for us . As pointed out above ,the processors and software in these integrated smart TVs are not great .it’s a fairly clunky experience . The external usb Roku/Firestick options are far better .

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We use a cheap and dumb 24” tv (Manta), small soundbar and a Firestick - cost much less than our previous smaller Avtex, and the picture quality is, IMHO, just as good. (y)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Never been a fan of Avtex have had a few over the years. The last one was the 32" model. Picture quality was okay but no where near HD and sound quality if used without the surround sound system was shocking. I think they are overpriced and lack technology of main stream TV's. Most TV's under 32" are 12 volt fed via a step down transformer. Easy to identify, if the wall plug goes via a small black box then into the TV check what it says on the black box 230v/12v is the answer. Run it through a 12V regulator to protect it. Buy an LG or Samsung etc. for a lot less and get a far more advanced TV with far better viewing and sound quality.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi I use a firestick on my Avtex, also use a usb power supply as the firestick can use more power than is available from the tv usb port. This is an example of a suitable adapter.

Amazon product ASIN B078KSHVCS

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Don't buy an Avtex if you want anything more than terrestrial tv via an aerial or satellite. I bought the 21 inch "connected tv" which it isn't! Only BBC iPlayer gives live tv all the other tv channel apps are only catch up. My work around was to buy a Firestick (without volume control) and short USB lead to power it off the USB socket. Works very well and to be honest the picture quality is good. It also fits my storage cupboard so OK in that respect.
We have just fell for this con from Avtex.
We've had to buy a plug in box to make it into the TV avtex would have you believe it already is.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
ambulancekidd, I'd be interested to know which LG tv you have because I would like to buy a small, (20in) TV, (preferably 12v) for the van which I can plug my portable, USB powered hard drive into.

It would need the codecs to play .mkv, .avi, .mpg files, etc on my hD. This simplicity appeals because it cuts down the number of wires to the TV supply only. I'm not particularly interested in live TV.

£345 for an Avtex, which falls short of being Smart, demoralises my wallet and would cause it a bout of depression. Does anybody have this combination and can recommend the TV?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I noticed recently there are a great number of van users that have gone down the TV Projection Route (yea this was all new to me also).
Have a look at this comparison of projection methods & results, it may be something to consider for use in our vans and maybe elsewhere.
Cheaper than any Avtex route, and space saving also.
Thinking "out of the Box" springs to mind.:giggle:
LES

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am about to buy a 24” avtex but avtex say I cannot get Netflix and Apple TV. Does anyone know a way around this, thanks
I use Apple TV with my Avtex just plug in the Apple TV Box via HDMI cable

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I noticed recently there are a great number of van users that have gone down the TV Projection Route (yea this was all new to me also).
Have a look at this comparison of projection methods & results, it may be something to consider for use in our vans and maybe elsewhere.
Cheaper than any Avtex route, and space saving also.
LES

Done this for travel for more than 10 years, a mini projector Apple iPod ( the old version) some mini speakers (all fitted in my jacket as we travel light) and projected the film on to the white wall of the spanish Villa in the summer it works fine. Also have a short throw Projector and an 82 inch screen at home ( it will go to 300 inches but would probably any the neighbours).

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994

This is so helpful. Thank you. I was thinking of buying a smart tv but won't do now as our Avtex has a dvd slot which we like to use on cold or wet evenings. I'm now thinking of buying a Firestick or Roku. Apparently the Firestick doesn't have YouTube so am thinking the Roku might be better. It has great reviews.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
This is so helpful. Thank you. I was thinking of buying a smart tv but won't do now as our Avtex has a dvd slot which we like to use on cold or wet evenings. I'm now thinking of buying a Firestick or Roku. Apparently the Firestick doesn't have YouTube so am thinking the Roku might be better. It has great reviews.
YouTube is now available on the Firestick. There was a dispute between Google and Amazon but this has been resolved.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Hi I use a firestick on my Avtex, also use a usb power supply as the firestick can use more power than is available from the tv usb port. This is an example of a suitable adapter.

Amazon product ASIN B078KSHVCS
The picture shows it connected to the TV USB port. Do you mean that you use this connector, but plug it into a mains socket?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back