Avtex - very happy with service (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have an Avtex TV/DVD which we have used in the van for the last 9 years.
Whilst we were away recently it suddenly stopped working - wouldn't come off standby.
Phoned Avtex and they arranged to have it collected and inspected & would ring me with prognosis.
A couple of days after collection they rang to say the main circuit board was faulty and needed replacing. Despite it being 9 years old they did have a circuit board in stock and would repair it and send it back to me for a price of £165 all in.
Alternatively they offered me £80 off a latest smart TV/DVD with built in Sat receiver making a total of £280 to pay.
No hard sell, it was up to me. The price for a new tv was a good one - couldn't find cheaper anywhere else on the web, so we decided to go for that & it was delivered within 2 days.
Very happy customer :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, they repaired my out of warranty TV free of charge, including courier. Person or persons unknown had yanked on the bracket, overstraining the satellite connector and damaging it. Great service.

......now awaits the usual replies saying that ASDA/cello/Polaroid TV's are so much better. Well, it is our hard earned money and we are free to spend as we like, including ridiculously overpriced, overhyped, unreliable Avtex TV sets..... :reel:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes, they repaired my out of warranty TV free of charge, including courier. Person or persons unknown had yanked on the bracket, overstraining the satellite connector and damaging it. Great service.

......now awaits the usual replies saying that ASDA/cello/Polaroid TV's are so much better. Well, it is our hard earned money and we are free to spend as we like, including ridiculously overpriced, overhyped, unreliable Avtex TV sets..... :reel:
I wasn't aware you could pick up satellite channels on steam driven sets.:whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nothing wrong with Avtex TVs at all ... you DO get what you pay for as we've found, we've had cheaper ones but the quality of the image on the Avtex is far superior, even thought its only a little 16" one we can still tell the difference, we've had it since 2011 and its still going strong.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Nothing wrong with Avtex TVs at all ... you DO get what you pay for as we've found, we've had cheaper ones but the quality of the image on the Avtex is far superior, even thought its only a little 16" one we can still tell the difference, we've had it since 2011 and its still going strong.

Yes we like them too, seem a better quality picture than others. Our current van has an Alphasound in and its works good but I have an Avtex ready in a box ready should the current one fail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When our Avtex went funny I spoke to them but in the end decided not to send it off but buy a new Avtex Pro 19in from John Lewis for around £380. A bit dearer perhaps but it does have the 5 year guarantee that John Lewis provide.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We love our Avtex TV because you can view what’s on the screen no matter what angle you are trying to view it - which is sometimes a problem with Motorhomes and Campers. I’ve tried to cut corners in the past with cheaper makes but the field of vision is much less.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have an Avtex TV/DVD which we have used in the van for the last 9 years.
Whilst we were away recently it suddenly stopped working - wouldn't come off standby.
Phoned Avtex and they arranged to have it collected and inspected & would ring me with prognosis.
A couple of days after collection they rang to say the main circuit board was faulty and needed replacing. Despite it being 9 years old they did have a circuit board in stock and would repair it and send it back to me for a price of £165 all in.
Alternatively they offered me £80 off a latest smart TV/DVD with built in Sat receiver making a total of £280 to pay.
No hard sell, it was up to me. The price for a new tv was a good one - couldn't find cheaper anywhere else on the web, so we decided to go for that & it was delivered within 2 days.
Very happy customer :D

You can buy a brand new HD tv off Amazon for £120

24" LED TV Full HD 1080p With Built In Freeview HD USB Media player PVR Amazon product ASIN B076CL6YMR
Why spend £280 fixing a 9 year old one?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... yes and you do get what you pay for ... no branding, limited connections, and tinny sound from reading some of the reviews ... if it suits though then no point in spending more.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have bought 2 Avtex TVs in my lifetime and both have packed in within 2 years.

Their customer service and repair is excellent but it should be because as they say - Practice Makes Perfect.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have bought 2 Avtex TVs in my lifetime and both have packed in within 2 years.

Their customer service and repair is excellent but it should be because as they say - Practice Makes Perfect.
That’s 100% failure rate !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Chris you DO know that when you're watching the rugby and sitting there hugging your ball they don't want you to throw the ball to them don't you or try to take part in the scrum????

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
:D:D:Dnew telly programme needed, Phsycic Dave:D:D:D

:D

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I do when the van is completely level on my Milenco Blocks. You might have trouble yourself with those wonky E&P jacks though......
Ah, but I get the best tv reception on my Avtex 'cos my jacks make for a perfect earth grounding.:p

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Sorry, not impressed with mine. The 32inch version is not the best picture quality and is overpriced IMHO Spoke with Avtex Sales Manager at Newbury show. He agreed it was not up to the usual Avtex standards and was developed under pressure by Oyster for the German Market where the TV and dish are combined and you turn TV channel over on the TV and the satellite dish changes to which ever satellite you need to be on for the channel selected on the TV. A new model is being launched soon which will be a great improvement he says...not much good to me!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ah, but I get the best tv reception on my Avtex 'cos my jacks make for a perfect earth grounding.:p
They did when you forgot to raise them. Very neatly ploughed campsite, I thought, although one set of furrows were deeper than the other :rofl:

Yes I know it isn’t true but makes a good story

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
You can buy a brand new HD tv off Amazon for £120

24" LED TV Full HD 1080p With Built In Freeview HD USB Media player PVR Amazon product ASIN B076CL6YMR
Why spend £280 fixing a 9 year old one?

I didn't - we bought a new one, it says that in the post!
Couldn't buy an Avtex TV/DVD for £120!!!! Have another one in the bedroom of the van that's a cheap one and the quality of the Avtex is far superior,

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
They did when you forgot to raise them. Very neatly ploughed campsite, I thought, although one set of furrows were deeper than the other :rofl:

Yes I know it isn’t true but makes a good story
Even I can remember to raise them as they retract automatically when I release the hand brake!:moon2:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I didn't - we bought a new one, it says that in the post!
Couldn't buy an Avtex TV/DVD for £120!!!! Have another one in the bedroom of the van that's a cheap one and the quality of the Avtex is far superior,

Sorry I mis read your post (dyslexia got the better of me)

And you’re quite right, the example tv I gave wasn’t a DVD

But after a quick scan of Amazon I found this Blaupunkt one for £139.99

Blaupunkt BLA-236/207O-GB-3B-EGDP-UK 24-Inch LED HD Ready TV/DVD Kit with Freeview HD - Black Amazon product ASIN B01MUJU73E
Add in £25 for a cigarette lighter inverter and you’d save £100 compared with an Avtex.

Having owned Avtex, I didn’t chose one for my new van.

Not being negative or argumentative, just wanted to point out that motorhome owners aren’t restricted to buying an overpriced ‘caravan’ brand TV, you can choose any one you like.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back