Avtex TV Tuning American/ Canadian Digital Signal (1 Viewer)

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I was told that a U.K. digital tv would require a gadget plugged into the hdmi port in order for it to work there.

Anyone know anything about this please?

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Does the avtex tv not use ntsc or not the same colour twice!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I thought the new range of Avtex tv’s supported ntsc and Pal, but maybe only playback of dvd.
From what I remember the old saying was that the American tv standard ntsc
stood for Not The Same Colour twice as when ported to a PAL standard tv the colour signal produced different shades of colour on each frame as the tv electronics couldn’t handle the signal properly.
Ntsc uses a smaller amount of lines so the old cathode ray tv’s couldn’t line the beam up properly through the electron grating.
As most countries now are digital the tv processor deals with the signal.
All flat screen tv’s are basically monitors with tv cards in them now.
Theoretically you could buy a cheap wide screen monitor with hdmi ports and run all the streaming boxes available on it.

OP
OP
B

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
I thought the new range of Avtex tv’s supported ntsc and Pal, but maybe only playback of dvd.
From what I remember the old saying was that the American tv standard ntsc
stood for Not The Same Colour twice as when ported to a PAL standard tv the colour signal produced different shades of colour on each frame as the tv electronics couldn’t handle the signal properly.
Ntsc uses a smaller amount of lines so the old cathode ray tv’s couldn’t line the beam up properly through the electron grating.
As most countries now are digital the tv processor deals with the signal.
All flat screen tv’s are basically monitors with tv cards in them now.
Theoretically you could buy a cheap wide screen monitor with hdmi ports and run all the streaming boxes available on it.

Ahh, ok, thanks.....I think. Bit of a duffer when it comes to tv’s and really just wanted to know if the Avtex tv in our van will tune in and play American/Canadian programs using a digital aerial, as someone told me that I would need to buy a gizmo to enable that to happen? I‘ve Googled it and looked around, but can’t find anything other than ex pat sites saying bin your tv and by a cheaper American one or stuff about using a vpn to receive British tv?

All very confusing. 🤪

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Not sure about the America’s but if you use a U.K. based mobile phone or mifi as a hotspot iPlayer and the like on streaming sticks will defo work in Europe as they think your still in the U.K. due to the data node still being at home.
From what I gather most American streaming services probably are the same and would need a local sim to work?
Let us know when you get there, always useful for to know for others

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It was the case on the "old" CRT Set`s. I understand the Digital T-V`s Do not have that issue?. The T-V in My First R-V had to be scrapped when it arrived over here.

Useless information:- Back in the 70`s we where coasting the US East coast Ports the Radio Officer had this "trick" which used 2 T-V`s one was tuned to get the Picture and had the sound OFF the other was tuned to get the Audio. Apparently they where broadcast on different frequencies to Europe?.

BTW. Not ALL mobiles will work on all the US frequencies everywhere. some places the frequencies used are not specified on European Sold `Phones. They mostly work, but some-places you will struggle even though Americans seem to be getting a signal.

May 21, 2016
Algarve & North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I use a similar convoluted system to watch cycling on Eurosport1.
I use Astra 1 for pictures from German Eurosport clear with audio muted.
On another dish I use Hotbird with Intenational Eurosport encrypted, but the English Audio clear.

Not in the MH though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back