Avoiding Ski Chains (1 Viewer)

Jack TGA

Free Member
Oct 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
T337
Exp
From car experience, sometimes if you can just get going out of an icy parking spot, chains aren't neccessary. As such I'm looking at these three types of mats (I'll be carrying chains as well. I'll also want these mats for muddy field use). Any recommendations? (I posted about mats elsewhere but I'm doing it here too because I'll be in the mountains in the winter, covid permitting)
1. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=122625144419
2. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=142617424029
3. https://www.youcancaravan.co.uk/motorhome-or-caravan-grip-track

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
There is really no substitute for good snow chains, I have only used mine in anger once and was truly amazed
How effective they were,
If the ground is soft then using mats are a good idea to stop the vehicle sinking in but a waste of time
For much else, I do carry a pair though just in case,

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Personally i have the first one
Don't take up much room or weigh much and fine if you have the option of chains as well
Depending on which mountains you are planning to head for you may need winter tyres.
We run our car on winter tyres and they are the dogs dangly bits (job for today swapping them over now you have reminded me)
There are four season tyres now which carry the snowflake symbol which is decent compromise for most peoples needs and what I plan to fit to the van when I need to retread it
Also reminded me I have a set of car chains that I should stick on Flea Bay ta

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
As well as chains and proper snow tyres we carry a set of snow socks
Like a shower cap bit sticks to snow and ice, easy to fit and take off don’t take up much room

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
As well as chains and proper snow tyres we carry a set of snow socks
Like a shower cap bit sticks to snow and ice, easy to fit and take off don’t take up much room

Auto socks have not been adopted by all EU countries so you need to be careful when fitting. I believe new legislation is about to be released concerning their usage.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
European standard on snow socks introduced

The AutoSock

A new European standard has been introduced for the use of supplementary grip devices, such as snow chains and snow socks, whether they are metallic, textile or hybrids.
Up until this regulation was introduced, snow chains (not socks or other devices) were mandatory in many alpine regions of Austria, Germany and Italy, where winter tyres were not deemed to provide sufficient safety for winter driving.
The new standard – EN 16662-1:2020 – defines the testing methods for such devices and sets out a minimum performance on snow and ice irrelevant of the material used or construction. This now means that all approved products are able to be used, not just metallic snow chains.
AutoSock, a manufacturer of fabric-based devices has been campaigning for these new guidelines for 10 years. Its product for cars and light commercials up to 3.5 tonnes is approved and certified to the new standards.

These standards have to be implemented in all EU member states with a new identical national standard or by endorsement, at 30 November 2020, withdrawing any conflicting regulations at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Autosocks for campsite/ moving off, proper chains and snow tyres for the road.
Used socks on a car once worked well but personally wouldn’t trust them in my 4 ton truck!

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Jack, I urge you most strongly to forget all the Gizmo's advertised and trust in your snowchains. Do make sure you have at least one practice session (in the dry) putting them on - it's does wonders for the confidence and ensures you know what to expect.
Several years ago, returning from a January in the Alps, we overnighted by a french canal only to find that in the morning, we couldn't get off the very slick grass verge we had parked on. An hour later, covered in mud and having tried every skid mat, plank & bit of cardboard I possessed (all just flew out of the back) I admitted defeat, put the snow chains on and was on the tarmac in 20 seconds. My wife nearly ruptured herself trying not to laugh.
Probably of almost equal importance is ensuring that you have a decent set of winter tyres on your drive wheels. We learnt that the hard way in Germany - a narrow escape on a modest hill in Oberstdorf, when the front wheels lost traction and we started to slide across the road into the path of an oncoming lorry. Luckily he avoided us - but 2 hours at a tyre centre and 300 Euros later, we drove up the same hill without any loss of traction and realised how silly we'd been.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back