Autotrail V line 540 se automatic - Newbie looking for advice on buying (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2021
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello. Newbie here!

I would be grateful for advice on the Autotrail V line 540 se please. I have seen a lot of negative reviews online about Autotrail, including a dedicated Facebook page for unhappy owners reporting problems with their vehicles and poor customer service, but on paper the 540 se offers what I’m looking for.

I am completely new to motorhoming and want shower/toilet etc in the most compact vehicle I can find, and I definitely want an automatic. As these are very hard to find second hand, I’m considering buying new on the basis that I will get the spec I want and it should hold its value well as there are so few around and new vehicle prices are increasing. I looked at the Autosleeper Symbol and Westfalia Amundsen 540 but they are significantly more expensive.

I would love some feedback about Autotrail, the 540 she model, and generally what to look for when buying. It’s not possible to go and see lots of models side by side and test drive them, so will have to choose based on spec.

Many thanks in advance.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A lot of the negatives are based on the coachbuilt vans and water ingress. I should know :whistle2: :doh:
7 years of ownership, 6 years of issue.. BUT there are many happy owners who have had no issues.

The V line is a Panel van conversion, so really most of the problems associated with water ingress are eliminated. After all its a metal van with just a few holes cut in for windows and roof vents etc,,, There was a time when the V line had a bad reputation because of an issue with the windows, that was a few years ago so i can only assume its all been sorted now.

I have had a Trigano panel van in the past, made by Autotrail (2005) the V line is really the updated and higher spec.
The spec states a 25ltr built in re-fillable gas tank, There are threads on here from people who have ordered new and been told they cant fit a tank (shortages) and instead fitting small 4kg gas bottles. Not only does this reduce the amount of gas but will make it an expensive way to buy gas and maybe limit the stockists.

OP
OP
N
Sep 12, 2021
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thank you Tonka. That’s the kind of advice/info that I need. As with everything, it’s usually the people who are not happy with their purchase who go online and write reviews, and the many happy customers don‘t feel the need, so it’s difficult to get a balanced perspective. Would you recommend the Autotrail as a brand?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There are other 5.4m vans about:
Cardo CV540
Globecar Roadscout R
Malibu Van 540
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Dreamer D42
... there are other too...

We started with a 5.4m Ducato van. It was a post conversion instead of a brand name. It had a lounge area at the back that we had to rearrange to a bed each night. We found the rear lounge was just too cramped and we often ended up using the front seats instead. After a few months of use, we ripped the rear seats out and made it permanent transverse bed. It made the bed more comfortable and gave us far more storage. We spent 6 months in it driving around Europe.

OP
OP
N
Sep 12, 2021
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
There are other 5.4m vans about:
Cardo CV540
Globecar Roadscout R
Malibu Van 540
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Dreamer D42
... there are other too...

We started with a 5.4m Ducato van. It was a post conversion instead of a brand name. It had a lounge area at the back that we had to rearrange to a bed each night. We found the rear lounge was just too cramped and we often ended up using the front seats instead. After a few months of use, we ripped the rear seats out and made it permanent transverse bed. It made the bed more comfortable and gave us far more storage. We spent 6 months in it driving around Europe.
Thank you. I realise the transverse bed may be a little cramped but I’m guessing it’s probably ok if travelling solo? I think a 6m would be more difficult to get used to as a first-timer so it’s a compromise. I will look at the other models you suggested. Many thanks.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Would you recommend the Autotrail as a brand?

I have had several Autotrails, all did is fine even with the hassle of the constant issues with the last one which was new in 2012 and we kept for 7 years. Lucky we had the 10 year warrantee so all problems were covered..

Would i buy again.. NO...
Would I consider one of their panel vans like the V line.. Maybe, based on price..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thank you. I realise the transverse bed may be a little cramped but I’m guessing it’s probably ok if travelling solo? I think a 6m would be more difficult to get used to as a first-timer so it’s a compromise. I will look at the other models you suggested. Many thanks.
A 5.4m will fit in a single parking space in a supermarket, provided the vehicles on either side are small and well parked. And you'll still have issues with height. But you can treat it like a big car. 6m requires you to hang the back out. And the wheelbase is longer, which makes them harder to manoeuvre. But if you aren't planning on using car parks that often, it probably won't make a major difference.

20191005_125728.jpg

Transverse beds are really good for saving space. But if you're much taller than average, you might have to discount them.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Thank you Tonka. That’s the kind of advice/info that I need. As with everything, it’s usually the people who are not happy with their purchase who go online and write reviews, and the many happy customers don‘t feel the need, so it’s difficult to get a balanced perspective. Would you recommend the Autotrail as a brand?
There is a facebook page for Auto-Trail V-line owners - lots of info on there and really worth a look.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!

The Gearbox in the current V-Line will now be Fiat's new and improved full version compared to the Comfortmatic, which most suggest will be better. The internal layout of the kitchen drawer/cupboard has been revised slightly. But most of the vehicle should be the same and similar standards.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Take a look at the Sunlight Cliff 540, we’ve got the 600. Ours is manual, but you can get one with an automatic gearbox. (y)

BB5F46BA-EF32-4357-8444-0114AE22A459.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back