Autotrail Owners Opinions (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
Hi all as an Autotrail owner I just wondered what opinions other owners had on Autotrail? I bought a 2015 Apache 700 high line model for my first van 2 years ago nearly, generally it has been a decent van. I have had a few electrical issues within the habitation area that I have sorted out myself (I’m an auto electrician by trade) it was easier to do myself rather than through the warranty as from experience from where I got it from they haven’t got a clue! (I shan’t name and shame the company but there probably the biggest supplier in uk)
In general though I’m very pleased with it, the layout is perfect for my family, it looks nice and is nice to drive. Do others rate them or hate them??

Solution
We have a 2014 Imala. 48,000m at March last year. Main problem has been with leaking windows causing a damp problem resulting in having to have a large section of internal wall replaced. We understand there was a problem with faulty rubber seals which caused the leaking windows. All problems put right by the dealer, Todd’s of Preston who have been brilliant. Love the layout and the

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have had 2 X 700's a 2005 and a 2012. Also before those a scout and eldiss with same layouts.
The layout and features really suited us when used as a couple plus also taking our grandkids around UK and Europe. Did almost 40k in the last one including 2 runs to Morocco and many to Spain. Mechanically only issue we had was a DPF sensor.
However. !! In 7 years of ownership of the 2012 model it had ingress issues for 6years and several trips back to the factory. Luckily all covered on the 10 year warranty. So annoying. Eventually after the last repair I gave up and we moved on.. I was active on several forums and you keep hearing of the same issues time after time. love Autotrail but won't be buying another.

Enjoy yours. Sounds like you got a good one. 😁👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Setras431dt
Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
I’m hoping I get no water ingress issues as I have read alot about Autotrail owners that have experienced this! So far so good though! Unfortunately the previous owner didn’t keep up the habitation services (another bone of contention where o bought it from) so Autotrail won’t honour the 10 year warranty? I think that’s correct? In all very pleased with the van though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Keep a close watch on the offside wall area by the dinette. This is a known issue area, we had to have all that area replaced at one point and seen many other references to it. (y)

Upvote 0

OllyHughes

Free Member
Feb 15, 2010
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 584
Exp
Since 1992
My Autotrail is from a different era, I've had it 21 years, in that time it's done every thing asked of it, been reliable, comfortable, and dry, it's old technology but so am I. The layout suits us, I've not seen one I prefere. It's taken us all over europe and never missed a beat, It's like an old friend. I Love it

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I have had 6 vans (Eldiss Autostratus, Ci Carioca , Hymer C544k, Trigano Tribute PVC, Hymer 504CL and now Tribute 615T Sport. ) in 16 years and had most set ups , Latest van a 2014 i have had 5 years and had no problems at all with it (service and habitation check every year ) , plenty of European trips and a fair bit of mileage and for 2 people getting on in years it is an ideal set up as it has the front lounge which is easily made into beds so no climbing up and down ladders in the night has a large washroom/shower and also ideal for the afternoon nap. Only downside which i occasionally miss is no passenger seatbelts.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We have a 2014 Imala. 48,000m at March last year. Main problem has been with leaking windows causing a damp problem resulting in having to have a large section of internal wall replaced. We understand there was a problem with faulty rubber seals which caused the leaking windows. All problems put right by the dealer, Todd’s of Preston who have been brilliant. Love the layout and the storage.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
brand new Imala 734 2019. after 4 months use.

hab door locked me out couldnt get in, managed to squeeze through a rear locker door that was unlocked
All manner of latches around the eye level cupboards broken with minimal use
sat nav console stopped working
reverse camera stopped working in cab centre console, new unit replaced twice
Braket holding rear skirt/bumpr to underbody loose, causing rear skirt to flap about
Drivers Door seal fell off connstantly
Roof skylight over kitchen wouldnt open...snapped in my hand
Glass cooker top slid off going round a corner...didnt smash
Towel hangers in bathroom fell off so did toilet roll holder
BIn that attaches to hab door fell off, securing latch seemed it had been removed before and not put back properly..new latch needed (brand new van)
Solar panel switch to cab or hab battery wired wrong way round
Rear bolts that attache the bar to fit rear cycle carrier was loose.
Microwave door rubs on panelling.

lots of niggly bits I fixed myself after waiting for 3ways abergele but some not good.
apart from that alls well :LOL:

The van itself runs great, decent fuel consumption, good layout and now Ive upgraded the electirc supply Im happy enough, would probably go hymer next time.

Rubbish QA leaving the factory

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Setras431dt
Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
I have 6 seat belts in mine had too for the kids! Big bonus with the Autotrails is the large washroom and toilet, most sites we have been too I have always opted for the van shower 🤣👍🏻. Managed to get away for a month last year in august and went to Germany as I have family there. Ended up Munich way at some lakes, van was a joy to drive and pretty good on fuel if I’m honest. Only thing I might invest in is a roof mounted ac unit, it was sty falling hot in Germany last year no air moment even with windows and vents open. Probably get a dometic one and fit myself as I have fitted a few on buses, trucks and vans of late.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Setras431dt
Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
We have a 2014 Imala. 48,000m at March last year. Main problem has been with leaking windows causing a damp problem resulting in having to have a large section of internal wall replaced. We understand there was a problem with faulty rubber seals which caused the leaking windows. All problems put right by the dealer, Todd’s of Preston who have been brilliant. Love the layout and the

Upvote 1
Solution
OP
OP
Setras431dt
Jan 26, 2020
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since October 2019
I have 6 seat belts in mine had too for the kids! Big bonus with the Autotrails is the large washroom and toilet, most sites we have been too I have always opted for the van shower 🤣👍🏻. Managed to get away for a month last year in august and went to Germany as I have family there. Ended up Munich way at some lakes, van was a joy to drive and pretty good on fuel if I’m honest. Only thing I might invest in is a roof mounted ac unit, it was sty falling hot in Germany last year no air moment even with windows and vents open. Probably get a dometic one and fit myself as I have fitted a few on buses, trucks and vans of late
brand new Imala 734 2019. after 4 months use.

hab door locked me out couldnt get in, managed to squeeze through a rear locker door that was unlocked
All manner of latches around the eye level cupboards broken with minimal use
sat nav console stopped working
reverse camera stopped working in cab centre console, new unit replaced twice
Braket holding rear skirt/bumpr to underbody loose, causing rear skirt to flap about
Drivers Door seal fell off connstantly
Roof skylight over kitchen wouldnt open...snapped in my hand
Glass cooker top slid off going round a corner...didnt smash
Towel hangers in bathroom fell off so did toilet roll holder
BIn that attaches to hab door fell off, securing latch seemed it had been removed before and not put back properly..new latch needed (brand new van)
Solar panel switch to cab or hab battery wired wrong way round
Rear bolts that attache the bar to fit rear cycle carrier was loose.
Microwave door rubs on panelling.

lots of niggly bits I fixed myself after waiting for 3ways abergele but some not good.
apart from that alls well :LOL:

The van itself runs great, decent fuel consumption, good layout and now Ive upgraded the electirc supply Im happy enough, would probably go hymer next time.

Rubbish QA leaving the factory
For what new or used vans cost what ever make they are they should be bullet proof!!

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
We got our 2013 Dakota in August 2020. Time for a couple of trips before the second and third lockdowns. A few niggles which I would expect with a 7 year old van. All fixed under warranty by the dealers, Becks of Ormesby. It’s a real shame they have ceased trading as will now have to find somewhere else for service and habitation. Overall very happy with it. Nice to drive and perfect layout for us.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We had a June 2012 Tracker EKS, same layout as rebbyvid's Tribby 615 and the current Imala 615. Never had a single issue with it which wasn't due to general wear and tear. Nothing leaked & nothing fell off. Loved everyday of ownership.

The Tribute 615 was a game changer when launched, it's a lot of van for the outlay, lovely motorhome.

Sold it in October 2019 as we wanted a bit more payload, I'm a post '97 licence holder, replaced it with a Pegaso 590. We sold that after just 4 months of use, nothing wrong with it, well built, quality fittings and went like hot snot with a 150 engine and auto box. I just didn't get on with the A class wingmirrors, the drop down bed or the Krypton Factor shenanigans needed for the inboard fresh water tank - you have to take the dinette fully apart in order to put you're hand in to reach an emptying bung.

Bought another Auto Trail, one of the new F lines which we collected end of June last year and then spent two weeks in France, a week in Devon and two weeks in Northumberland.

Again zero problems.

Not a huge fan of the new Tracker EKS but I can understand AT's desire in getting the MIRO under 3 tonne. There's a far greater European influence in their new F lines & larger Tracker range.

It's interesting the rep they get when you consider that the former Tributes, Imala's and similar stablemate, Roller Team seem to form the backbone of U.K. hire fleets along with Carado and Sun Living due to how robust they are. Many hire companies have moved away from Swift as they say the Escape falls to pieces.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We got our 2013 Dakota in August 2020. Time for a couple of trips before the second and third lockdowns. A few niggles which I would expect with a 7 year old van. All fixed under warranty by the dealers, Becks of Ormesby. It’s a real shame they have ceased trading as will now have to find somewhere else for service and habitation. Overall very happy with it. Nice to drive and perfect layout for us.
Is that the one with French bed and extra long shower in the back? Set our heart on one of those before we bought the Tracker, it's when I first realised the licence issue. Could have cried.

Simpsons in Great Yarmouth sell Auto Trail and have a service centre?

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Yes that’s the one. Also has an over an bed so we can take the grandchildren away with us.
I have given Simpsons a call and have it booked in for service and MOT etc in the summer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back