Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thinking about replacing the batteries on our AS Bikes they are 36v , just spoke to Peters daughter I’m looking at around £600 for two.

Has anyone found a alternative one that fits the AS Bikes or had replacement cells / refurbished ones fitted

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thinking about replacing the batteries on our AS Bikes they are 36v , just spoke to Peters daughter I’m looking at around £600 for two.

Has anyone found a alternative one that fits the AS Bikes or had replacement cells / refurbished ones fitted
That sounds cheap, our Bosch ones are £500 each. Probably cost nearly as much to get them rebuilt.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think there are several minor differences. My new replacement battery from AS bikes required s ome slight adjustment (actually a few minutes filing). Thank you Peter and the girls and boys.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Correction.................

A lot of E Bike manufacturers use that style of battery, but you have to make sure that the charging battery connection terminal configuration, is the right one for your bike.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Zepp Sorry Paul, wrong wording in my earlier post. ;)

Cheers,

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
When I spoke to AS bikes about a new battery they were really helpful. He actually suggested getting one off ebay as they are the same, but there are a few variants so haven't ordered one yet.

The ones I found were about 110-120 each so a lot cheaper than from AS.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
When I spoke to AS bikes about a new battery they were really helpful. He actually suggested getting one off ebay as they are the same, but there are a few variants so haven't ordered one yet.

The ones I found were about 110-120 each so a lot cheaper than from AS.

If you do order one please let us know how you get on

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
If it helps these are the connections for the A’s bike battery
24B9216E-77E8-4E56-A2C3-BD6C39D59E4B.jpeg
8EB3596A-D0F0-49BB-BAA9-394F04EC5190.jpeg

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Cool, bought mine without a battery so hadn't seen the bottom of the original ones.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
AS did say you sometimes need to modify or adjust the new ones to fit. But just a case of lining things up mainly. Their new ones have slightly more AH than the original.

Think they were 10Ah and the new is 13Ah.. Unless it was 15 and 18, can't remember now.. What does yours say on it?

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
i think the originals are 10 amp Nixdorter but as you say , may have to swap out housing

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Just had a look on ebay, gone up a chunk since I last looked a while back. Most are around 150-170 at the minute ?.

Let you know if find a good deal. Don't think the pins are a big issue as usually come with the right connector so can be converted.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Although AS provided me with a new battery, it would not slide easily onto its connecting pins at the bottom. As I happened to be at their place of business, they filed some of the mounting parts away. Oddly, as we have two AS bikes, the battery fitted the other bike without a problem. I gather this is a fairly well known issue and the 'fault' is with the quality of the battery.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all. we went to look at AS bikes the other day. 20 inch wheels folding cycle. to see if they fit in the underbed compartments which they did beautifully.
The question is how do you guys find the bikes in the real world. AS bikes seem really nice people to deal with and are very local. our motorhome dealer has some E Nick snap in folding cycles that would be £400 cheaper for 2 bikes similar battery range. but no reviews. any guidance?

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
Fragle,
My wife has used her AS Bike for over 10 years; its the 20 inch folding mk3 36 volt. Service from Pete and family has been outstanding throughout that time. So impressed she has now bought their folding trike which she is delighted with.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We upgraded from the 20" wheel bikes to the 26" wheel bikes, and are very pleased with them, as we are not serious cyclists. ;)

The after sales service that Peter and his family provide is excellent. (y)

Cheers,

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Hi all. we went to look at AS bikes the other day. 20 inch wheels folding cycle. to see if they fit in the underbed compartments which they did beautifully.
The question is how do you guys find the bikes in the real world. AS bikes seem really nice people to deal with and are very local. our motorhome dealer has some E Nick snap in folding cycles that would be £400 cheaper for 2 bikes similar battery range. but no reviews. any guidance?
I have an AS bikes 20 inch wheels and it is excellent. I bought it 2nd hand and had to replace the battery after 2 years battery was just under £300 but as previous higher ah. They are a little heavier than more modern ones but easy to ride and fold.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have the 26" folders and are very pleased with the build quality better than the cheap Chinese ones .Would def go for them again.

Same here.

I like cycling and as a student (too many years ago) would cycle from Newcastle to Carlisle just for fun - and get the train back and think nothing of it ........ now I am a older and a lot more creaky. If it wasn't for the boost the electric gives I wouldn't use the bike at all. I am not a "serious" cyclist so happy with the AS bike. Two of the things I am looking forward to when we are no longer confined to the house / garden is going for a bike ride and a kayak paddle.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I seem to recall that AS Bikes had a recommendation on their website for a company that refurbed batteries, and think that they were from Coventry. Met someone who had a battery done and they also increased the number of cells and thereby the battery rating

I see that the AS website now recommends a company in Northampton

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Although AS provided me with a new battery, it would not slide easily onto its connecting pins at the bottom. As I happened to be at their place of business, they filed some of the mounting parts away. Oddly, as we have two AS bikes, the battery fitted the other bike without a problem. I gather this is a fairly well known issue and the 'fault' is with the quality of the battery.
You can get a "converter" if you fit an after market battery ---it fits between the battery and the bottom connecters on bike.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We bought our folding bikes from E Bikes Direct. They have Bosch 36V 16amp/hour batteries.
Last time I looked they were about £300 to replace new, or £175 for reconditioned.
Having watched a few videos on You Tube, I think I will when the the time comes see if I can strip the cells out, de-solder and find out which cells have failed as there are normally only a couple that have failed, so they say.
The cells are easily available on line from China (of course) and they are very cheap, even if you purchase the dearer ones.
Maybe a lot of faff to do, but I think I would kick myself if I didnt have a go, and presuming of course I can get into the casing without destroying it.
There are companies set up for lithium battery re-builds, they also make up custom battery packs at higher voltages for those nutters that own the illegal bikes that do 70MPH plus.
Good luck in your searches, hope you can find a good deal.
LES

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
From time to time you can be lucky to meet an honest dealer. Peter at AS Bikes has for many years now, earned the respect and confidence of their customers. When he Guarantees a bike, you can trust he will fully honour his promise.
We are on our fifth AS bike from him because unlike many other electric bike dealers, he has continued trading and improving his models.
A lovely family to deal with!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can get a "converter" if you fit an after market battery ---it fits between the battery and the bottom connecters on bike.
Where do you buy this please. Do you have a link?

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Was already on bike...ask" Jaws" --think he put it together.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back