Are my leisure batteries shot (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have two leisure batteries (both on the van when I got it 6yrs ago) but I don't know ampage type etc. that are connected to a 120watt PV Logic solar panel I fitted with a Solar Technology International Solar Charge Controller(pics Attached). I had an outside light (bulb not LED) on for 3 hours and it flattened the batteries. The lights on the controller are all on and I have checked the controller with a multimeter and there is 19v coming from panel and 13.9 v on the battery terminals.
To check the actual batteries it means unscrewing the side seat and completely removing the passengers captains swivel seat which weighs a ton.
From this info does it mean to the experts out there that I need new leisure batteries
IMG_20190903_151427.jpg
IMG_20190903_153729.jpg
IMG_20190903_151427.jpg
IMG_20190903_151427.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Disconnect the 3rd and 4th terminal wires (don't let them touch each other or any metal parts) on the solar controller, wait an hour, put a multi meter on the disconnected wires.
That will show the true battery voltage.
What you are seeing at the moment is the solar charge voltage which is meaningless when checking battery state.
One bulb for 3 hours should make very little difference to the battery.... Its knackered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
vectian
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Thanks John I thought I'd read on here you couldn't leave the solar panel not attached to a battery.
will have a look at that tomorrow

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John I thought I'd read on here you couldn't leave the solar panel not attached to a battery.
will have a look at that tomorrow
It's not connected when it's being installed.
There's a lot of old wives tales on here.
If its not connected to anything it's open circuit... Its not doing anything.
its like plugging in a battery charger but not connecting to a battery, it does nothing.
You may have to take one of the other wires out, reconnect the battery wires then the last wire depending on the controller but it won't hurt to do that anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Disconnect the solar panel terminals. The first 2 on the left.
Do it now while the panel is dark or cover it with some thick cardboard or carpet if it’s daylight. Tape up the wires or put a connecting block on them.
Then disconnect the battery from the controller, do one at a time, if they touch you’ll do some damage so be care full.
Leave everything for a few hours then test the battery leads.
A dead battery won’t hold a charge so you’ll see 11v maybe.
Disconnecting everything may just reset everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back