Anyone had their cab air con, refilled/repaired in France or Germany? (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Hi All,

We're currently enjoying the hot weather in Eastern France. Only downside is the cab air con has gone warmish. So wondering whether to head into Germany, or stay in France to get it sorted. Normally at home, I'd go to a specific ac repairer, rather than a garage.

Having some difficulty trying to determine whether normal car repair garages could do the job. Normal 'google translated' searches for car/van air conditioning specific repairs don't bring up much.

So if anyone's had theirs sorted in France or Germany, I'd be keen to know how they went about it.

Many thanks.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
CV40
Just nip into a garage in any local town, its the same fittings as a car should be easy job

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
NORAUTO at Quimper where advertising aircon recharges last month, I imagine this is being done nationwide given the temps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had ours done last summer at 'Speedy', in Coulommiers - 30 or 40 miles east of Paris.

I believe Speedy is a national chain in France, a bit like Halfords or Kwik-Fit. But from memory it cost significantly more than you paid. If I recollect it was circa €160 euro - probably saw me coming, but we were desperate to get some cool air in the cab, which thankfully we did have. Just glad we could get it done quickly and without hassle.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
smart arse here... didnt you get it checked before buggering off to france ? we have 3 vehicles, and have a local mobile aircon man check them all over for the coming summer

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
::bigsmile:yes, heading into a heatwave in Europe was one reason the check it was working before leaving.

Five weeks later it was a bit warm. Don't know what they did, but it's working fine now.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
not gonna teach any sucked eggs here - but not everybody knows that not using aircon dries out the seals and the pesky stuff seeps out - so use your aircon all year round, (harder i accept when we use our mobile homes less than frequently) and you will have fewer problems ironically. regarding top ups, i have noticed some places disagree on the amount of gas it should have. They rarely share their opinions so its hard to judge, and each vehicle requires a differant amount anyway, and we all know too little works less well.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Currently in Rochefort France (camping municipal) it’s 31 degrees in the van at 22.52 hours!
My cab air con had packed in on the way down to Porto and as luck would have it I’m travelling to Quimper tomorrow so will check out norauto on the way. If they can’t fit me in it’s 16 degrees in Perth Scotland so won’t stress over u/s cab air con 😁

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Lucky you! Am about 10k inland from the Costa Brava and it's an ambient 30C outside and several degrees warmer inside after a day in unavoidable sun. Aircon was one of those things 'Mericans had when my van was built! We are literally cooking!

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
I start my holiday today - chunnel tomorrow and i see the weather is changing and western europe is catching a cold - lucky or not ? only got 3 weeks so its only france.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
On the way from Rochefort to Quimper and it’s rained all the way and at times it’s biblical, massive lightning strikes like I haven’t seen since I was a kid, amazing!

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
O:crying1:h joy..

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Looks like three or four days of thunder and lightening. Then it'll settle down again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back