Anyone got a Auto-trail Mohawk, are you happy with it? (1 Viewer)

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Hi,
We are now thinking Auto Trail seems to be a good make so before we buy a used Mohawk can you lovely people tell me about your experiences with these?
Thank you in advance! Terri o_O

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Thank you for replying... We have never owned a motorhome before though camped in various forms for years.
We are quite nervous at taking such a big step with so much money at stake so I need some enthusiastic input to make us take the plunge. The one we like is a 2014 Transverse bed. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TallPaul

Free Member
Oct 14, 2014
cornwall
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 years
That is exactly the same model that we have. It's a bit of a climb up onto the bed unless you have long legs and the loo is small. The door can be secured in the open position to alleviate this. And with regard to the garage you have to think how you're going to store stuff otherwise it will be loose in there. We keep 2 electric bikes in there and they are far more secure than on a rack on the back. We had additional Milenco locks put on the garage doors and white wingmirror covers on the wingmirrors.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a Scout and love it.(y)

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
That is exactly the same model that we have. It's a bit of a climb up onto the bed unless you have long legs and the loo is small. The door can be secured in the open position to alleviate this. And with regard to the garage you have to think how you're going to store stuff otherwise it will be loose in there. We keep 2 electric bikes in there and they are far more secure than on a rack on the back. We had additional Milenco locks put on the garage doors and white wingmirror covers on the wingmirrors.
That is great to finally find someone who is a current owner. I have short legs but we are thinking of getting a stool that we can store in the door to the garage when not in use. Good point about the garage.... what on earth are we going to keep in there... unless we go on a booze cruise to France in which case it may well be full! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. We are also planning to take an electric bike and an ordinary one too so good to know they can go in there. :unsure: Really appreciate your reply thank you! (y)

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I have a Delaware so I can't comment on the Mohawk but Auto Trail is a very good make in general and seems to be well put together. I bought it when I was new to motorhoming and have no regrets at all with the purchase. I'm sure someone will pop up and slate them though.
I have had water ingress problems identified when I took it to the factory for its last habitation check but they will be fixing them under warranty at no cost to me. I've had excellent service from them each time I've contacted them.
Speak as you find....a good make.
regards
Nik.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Our first MH was an Auto Trail (a Tracker) which gave us sterling service and no issues through nearly seven years ownership before we part exchanged it - great van, we still miss her :(

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Lots of Autotrail haters (surprised nothing been commented yet).

We have AT Arapaho, and previously AT Apache. We have nothing but good things to say about both. :D

Just do your homework .. .. Which applies to ALL manafacturers

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We have a 2013 Mohawk with the bigger garage so the bed is a bit higher, having said that we are both vertically challenged and don't have a problem getting in and out of bed, we had to replace the microwave, the head-unit was rubbish so changed it and we found the mattress was too soft so replaced that also. As said above they are well built and we are very happy with it.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
When we ordered a new van at the NEC show last October an AT Tracker was on our shortlist. In the end we opted for an Auto-Sleepers Broadway but it was a close call. We are very happy with our choice but that is not to say that we wouldn't have been equally happy if we had gone the other way. You do perhaps hear more complaints about ATs but I'm sure that is just a statistical thing because there are a lot more of them about. Our previous MH was a Chausson (a sister Trigano company to AT) and were very happy with it. Of course, Trigano now own A-S as well and it doesn't worry me. If you think a Mohawk suits your needs then I would go for it. Hope it works out well for you, whatever you decide.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We`ve owned 3 Auto trails, first one was a Cheyenne on a Merc Sprinter base, solid build quality well happy with it, swapped that for a 2008 Arapaho, again really well built no issues other than the Reverse Gear Judder.
Our current Autotrail is a 2013 Apache 634, bought new, we love the "U" shape lounge but have to say the build quality is nowhere as good as the two previous models.
Cost cutting by Autotrail gave us lots of silly niggly problems abviously they don`t have any Quality Control to allow a Motorhome to leave the factory as ours did, sadly the builders leave it up to the dealer to sort out the problems which leaves you in the position of great inconvenience.

Would we buy another Autotrail, certainly not until they smarten themselves up in the build quality area and most certainly implement a quality control system that ensures you at least pick the motorhome up with No faults.
We drove 10 miles from the dealers and the wardrobe door fell off, not the best of starts.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
I've had two Autotrails. One 840d tag on Fiat & 24ft Cheyenne on a Mercedes auto .
Sadly to say both were badly built .Only bought the latter as on Mercedes .... However . When you look at the fixings for seating etc some of the screws weren't even screwed into the bulkheads .... Also the amount of swarf under the floors ,from factory cutting, was awful ...
I also had 3 Sergeant boxes replaced . 2 in the 840d & one in the Mercedes .....
The 840d had water ingress in the nearside lounge window & the offside wall cracked near the lounge window ....
Customer services were yo say the least , not bothered & informed me the swarf etc were a one off . Funny when I purchased the Cheyenne , guess what .... same problems ...
It's the first time I've purchased British vans & wasn't pleased at all . I sold the Cheyenne within 8 months & returned to Burstner tag ... now a rapido .... That's a personal experience from me so obviously be guided by yre own thoughts & information. BUT ... I would not purchase another one .... However they are very popular . Maybe I was unlucky .... cheers

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As a 2014 model it will have come from Autotrail with a 10 year ingress warranty. If you decide to buy, you need to ensure it has had all habitation checks done up to date and they were an NCC approved company. That way the 10 year cover is intact. Don't just rely on a dealers 1 year guarantee,
Autotrail of the past 10 years or so have a mixed reaction due to some damp issues, not all but bloody annoying when you spend that sort of money on a van.
Mohawk seem very popular layout.

Vangoff

Free Member
Jul 18, 2016
Andover
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLT Plus
Exp
Hi,
We are now thinking Auto Trail seems to be a good make so before we buy a used Mohawk can you lovely people tell me about your experiences with these?
Thank you in advance! Terri o_O
Don’t want to be a saddo,but had a new Autotrail,so much stuff broken and falling off,put up with it for a year and now gone with Adria,no problems At all

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you buy a used one most likely the problems when it was new will now be sorted. We have an apache and are pleased with it. Not new though.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Don’t want to be a saddo,but had a new Autotrail,so much stuff broken and falling off,put up with it for a year and now gone with Adria,no problems At all

Don't worry, you're not being a saddo. We bought a new AT van in September 2016 and by the first week of November we were already looking to replace it with something by a different manufacturer. Our list of issues was so big that I thought we had purchased a right lemon; however, I met a guy a few weeks later who also had a Sep-16 AT van with even more issues than mine. I just didn't think it was possible.

As it turns out you've bought an Adria; me a Pilote and the other fellow has purchased a Rapido A-Class.

All the best,

Andrew

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We bought a new 2013 Mohawk, highline with bed over the cab, never used for sleeping but with mattress removed it's a huge storage area. Ours was the standard so called garage so bed was no problem. The small double doors allowing access into garage was a great idea, OH kept her veggies in there. We had no major problems but a lot of build quality issues a 2014 should be well sorted. Make doubly sure you have a full damp check done before purchasing, at 2 years old damp was picked up in ours either side from cab backover, it was sorted under warranty. The Fiat side had a choice of engines the 130bhp basic one is seriously underpowered ours was the 150bhp version and superb to drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back