Anyone else had their new motorhome delayed because of Alko chassis issues ? (1 Viewer)

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
Dont want this post to turn into a Brexit debate please.
Does anyone know why some new Motorhomes are being delayed and not being shipped to the UK from Europe ?

We have been waiting a very long time for our new Dethleffs . We fully expected some kind of delay due to Brexit amd covid etc.

Our dealer was given a build slot for January and we were told it would be built and shipped to the dealer by March .

It seems it was built as planned and has been ready to ship for a number of weeks , but Dethleffs have told the dealer that the export is held up because of “paperwork “ problems with the Alko chassis ?
We cannot get any more information on what this issue may be , and we cannot get any more info from Dethleffs about when the problem may be resolved, nor when our motorhome will actually be delivered to the dealer .

If we could get some information from Dethleffs or the dealer about what the actual problem is , and when it may be resolved , we would understand and accept further delays , but the frustration is the complete lack of information from Dethleffs .

Anyone on this forum know what the issue is with Alko chassis and perhaps have any info on when the import issues may be resolved ?

As I said at the start , I’m just looking for some information , so please dont turn this post into a Brexit debate . Thankyou .

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Friends waited almost four months last year for a Bailey after 'issues' with the CoC's and import certificates for chassis cab and alko add on being amalgamated into the one converter declaration delayed the DVLA recognition and therefore registration.
They were told is was all due to the 2019 regulation changes and the forthcoming introduction of the UKCA mark needing parts of regulations implementing at different times.

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Sunlights use the same as Dethleffs being a subsidiary of them, chassis same. It’s who provides the chassis extension for the longer vans, like ours which is 7.4 metres. The extension is not Fiat, the main chassis is.
Sunlight are now independent of Dethleffs. They've 'left home and bought their own place', though apparently without help from the corporate equivalent of 'The Bank of Mum & Dad' :LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0

RallymanWales

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
Do you know for sure that other brand new builds on an alko chassis have been delivered to the Uk from Europe since jan 1st ?
I dont doubt you but my dealer says he is having major delays with all other brands that are on alko chassis aswell .
If you were able to point me to a van that has come into the Uk on an alko chassis since Brexit I could ask my dealer to go back to Dethleffs with this “evidence “ . That would be really helpful. Many thanks.
I am waiting for our new Hymer and have been given exactly the same info as in it is the documentation around the Alka chassis which is required to avoid import tariffs. I believe they have to provide information on the source of the materials to demonstrate a proportion are from EU. I am also frustrated about the lack of information from Hymer and the dealer.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It maybe to do with where the chassis, or it’s component parts were made. ALKO may have manufacturing outside of the EU, they manufacturer in the UK, mainly static chassis’s but if parts are being imported and then exported it will complicate the already complicated paperwork.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer Masterline BML
Hi
Does anyone know why some new Motorhomes are being delayed and not being shipped to the UK from Europe ?

We have been waiting a very long time for our new Dethleffs . We fully expected some kind of delay due to Brexit amd covid etc.

Our dealer was given a build slot for January and we were told it would be built and shipped to the dealer by March .

It seems it was built as planned and has been ready to ship for a number of weeks , but Dethleffs have told the dealer that the export is held up because of “paperwork “ problems with the Alko chassis ?
We cannot get any more information on what this issue may be , and we cannot get any more info from Dethleffs about when the problem may be resolved, nor when our motorhome will actually be delivered to the dealer .

If we could get some information from Dethleffs or the dealer about what the actual problem is , and when it may be resolved , we would understand and accept further delays , but the frustration is the complete lack of information from Dethleffs .

Anyone on this forum know what the issue is with Alko chassis and perhaps have any info on when the import issues may be resolved ?

As I said at the start , I’m just looking for some information , so please dont turn this post into a Brexit debate . Thankyou .
Russ

We are in exactly the same situation.

We ordered a Hymer Masterline BML-I 780, the Mercedes version with a build slot of the 27th November last year with an expected delivery date of Dec/January.

Sad to say that like you our vehicle is finished and has been sat in Germany for nearly 3 months.

Apparently it is to do with the Alko chassis and the percentage of parts not being greater that 45% so I have been informed to avoid a possible 10% charge.

I have managed to speak to Hymer directly with no further news.

Our dealer is doing everything they can but sadly it is pretty much out of their hands. The manufacturers are very reluctant to talk to us directly saying that our agreement is with the dealer not them but sadly they should have the answers

Looks as though we will just have to sit it out.

Look luck with your Defleffs when it arrives, hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Regards

Paul

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Difficult to understand the mysteries of what is going on at present with regard to continental built vans. Dethleffs and now Hymer late, both German. Pilote and Le Voyageur are still being delivered to the UK from France with Alko chassis which comprise less than 45% of the total parts fitted. The significant thing is that there appears to be no hold up. Once they are built they are shipped to the UK. I thought the Germans got on well with Ursula von der Leyen!!
Is the same thing happening with Carthago, Concorde, Morello etc? What about vans from Italy on Alko chassis'?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Difficult to understand the mysteries of what is going on at present with regard to continental built vans. Dethleffs and now Hymer late, both German. Pilote and Le Voyageur are still being delivered to the UK from France with Alko chassis which comprise less than 45% of the total parts fitted.
I think you have answered your own question.The French ones leave France without any problems whilst the German ones don't. Very similar to the spanish fruit & veg have paperwork problems exiting France for Uk whilst the exact same French fruit & veg don'T ? suspicious.:LOL:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Difficult to understand the mysteries of what is going on at present with regard to continental built vans. Dethleffs and now Hymer late, both German. Pilote and Le Voyageur are still being delivered to the UK from France with Alko chassis which comprise less than 45% of the total parts fitted. The significant thing is that there appears to be no hold up. Once they are built they are shipped to the UK. I thought the Germans got on well with Ursula von der Leyen!!
Is the same thing happening with Carthago, Concorde, Morello etc? What about vans from Italy on Alko chassis'?
Not sure about all Carthago but Concorde and MORELO don't use Al-Ko chassis so no issues there, and as far as I know orders are coming through OK.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Russ M

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
So what happened to the op?
Has he got it yet?
Hi
I tried to close this thread a while back but couldn’t.
my new Dethleffs finally arrived this week.
it was 12 weeks late due to Brexit issues , but worth the wait.

Upvote 0

Lemut

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 18, 2020
Redditch, UK
Funster No
MH
Class C
Got the same issue with the Burstner 727G I ordered in August 20. Informed Fiat were having production issues due to '19'. Still waiting for the local main dealer to give me a date :cry:

Upvote 0
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer Masterline BML
I ordered a Hymer Masterline 780 last August, paid the 10% deposit on the 7th September with a build date of the 27th November. The vehicle has been built for 3 months but is still stuck in Germany.
Hopefully with some of the issues resolved with the Alko chassis it will be with us shortly. There was a recall with Mercedes which I assume has been resolved.
Hoping to get it before the summers out!

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
My sister ordered a Pilote late last year but we havnt heard anything from her since. She would normally be showing off any thing like that at any chance.
The uk manufacturers could make use of all these problems with imports but it will take a long time for them to wake up to that.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My sister ordered a Pilote late last year but we havnt heard anything from her since. She would normally be showing off any thing like that at any chance.
The uk manufacturers could make use of all these problems with imports but it will take a long time for them to wake up to that.
If the UK manufacturers were capable of waking up people would not be buying European motorhomes in the first place.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
If the UK manufacturers were capable of waking up people would not be buying European motorhomes in the first place.
Problem is the UK Manufacturers import majority of parts from EU. After 20 odd years buying British the build quality has driven me to go German and i say that with an heavy heart.

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
But people ordered 6-7 month before the B word as you call it so you cant blame it on this
And in the cases cited in this thread the vans were built but held up in the country of manufacture by the requirements and documentation arising from our new status outside of the trading block and our insistence on moving away from the CE system. The original poster makes it clear that the delays on his Dethleff were entirely down to Brexit.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
And in the cases cited in this thread the vans were built but held up in the country of manufacture by the requirements and documentation arising from our new status outside of the trading block and our insistence on moving away from the CE system. The original poster makes it clear that the delays on his Dethleff were entirely down to Brexit.
Thats told me 👍

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No he doesn’t and he specifically asked not to turn the thread into a b***** debate? I suggest you read his original post again there is no mention that it is caused by B*****🤔

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
No he doesn’t and he specifically asked not to turn the thread into a b***** debate? I suggest you read his original post again there is no mention that it is caused by B*****🤔
So the original poster, Russ M posted on Wednesday at 9.53pm that he had finally got his van 12 weeks late " due to Brexit issues" but it was worth the wait. Which part of that did you not understand?
I generally find that it helps to read the whole thread, not just the bits that suit your narrative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
So the original poster, Russ M posted on Wednesday at 9.53pm that he had finally got his van 12 weeks late " due to Brexit issues" but it was worth the wait. Which part of that did you not understand?
I generally find that it helps to read the whole thread, not just the bits that suit your narrative.
in his original post he asked if anyone had difficulties due to AL-Ko chassis. He did not state in the post you quote it was anything to do with Al-Ko he did not comment on what issues it was perhaps he would care to elaborate however he asked it not turn into a B***** debate didn’t he?
You don’t need to tell me how to read a thread thank you and for your info I had read it all 😊

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
in his original post he asked if anyone had difficulties due to AL-Ko chassis. He did not state in the post you quote it was anything to do with Al-Ko he did not comment on what issues it was perhaps he would care to elaborate however he asked it not turn into a B***** debate didn’t he?
You don’t need to tell me how to read a thread thank you and for your info I had read it all 😊
It was not Brexit debate, that ship has long sailed, but there are, and will be conequences for all of us in terms of buying goods from the EU, which was the subject of many of the posts. And much as I am enjoying your mental gymnastics to justify your position,it is somewhat undermined by the OP clearly stating that the delays were caused by the impacts of Brexit.....

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It was not Brexit debate, that ship has long sailed, but there are, and will be conequences for all of us in terms of buying goods from the EU, which was the subject of many of the posts. And much as I am enjoying your mental gymnastics to justify your position,it is somewhat undermined by the OP clearly stating that the delays were caused by the impacts of Brexit.....
Shall we leave it there then as I’m not to bothered what you think about me and I certainly am not in this this for a fight😊

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeterAdria

Free Member
Jan 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria 670SL Supreme
Hi

We were due to have our Adria ordered in Oct 21 delivered next month Feb 22. Like you we anticipated a bit of delay but have now been told August. It is frustrating but like you, made even more so by complete lack of customer focussed communicatio - I only know about the delay because I went asking. Problem is dealers know it is a sellers market, they can sell any stock they have at the drop of a hat and for top prices. If I cancelled mine now and could find one somewhere else (Can’t, I’ve tried) it would cost me £9K more due to price increase. I reckon I could collect in August, use it for a month then sell for more than I paid (not planning that by the way). Crazy times!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back