Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
9fd97131-c311-414a-b0af-06469fdcaa61-jpeg.356902

Been there done that :D

Is it me or does it look like there’s plenty of room.

Does it get tighter further down then?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
One year in St Ives I collected my Mums Datsun 280c estate from one of the carparks near the Tate.

I decided to drive down the back lanes and have to say it did get a tad tight more mm to spare than inches.

Any pedestrians had to step into door ways to allow me past.
Ohh and it was reasonably steep going down as well ?

Only did it the once though ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'll own up to cutting across the back of Rye town centre and ignoring the 6'6" width as it's a lot easier than taking the main road around due to all the parked cars. But I know the road well and you could get an artic down even with cars parked at the side.

Landgate is the road with a 6"6' retriction.
1578955647183.png

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'll own up to cutting across the back of Rye town centre and ignoring the 6'6" width as it's a lot easier than taking the main road around due to all the parked cars. But I know the road well and you could get an artic down even with cars parked at the side.

Landgate is the road with a 6"6' retriction.
View attachment 356956
This is the point isnt it. The Authorities put inaccurate information up and then are surprised when people ignore them. Ive been to places in a lorry where the signage says you can't get but actually you can and there are businesses down there.

I think this is partly the problem with people ignoring the red X sign on the motorways, you frequently get to the end and there is nothing there.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Fair play to them, we stayed in Mevagissey in the summer and hired a cottage on the same road that took dogs. My Mercedes ML at the time has every camera and sensor gong nuts driving down that road.
There is balls and there is that driver!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've found that on a narrow road, oncoming traffic will pull in to the side if they see a bus or bin wagon coming towards them, but they rarely make the space for you if you're in a motorhome ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've heard of drivers who end up in a place in say, Scotland, instead of the same named place in Wales. Or on a cliff top or in a river...........so maybe it's possible to become 'hypnotised' by the GPS, leading to folk to blindly follow the instructions in a bit of a daze.
On one occasion, following my TomTom whilst returning home through the 'samey' countryside of the New Forest I was surprised to pass a farm with exactly the same name and green tractor as one I'd passed half an hour earlier.................:doh:

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
I wonder if it confuses because motorhomes are measured in metres, roadsigns are in feet and inches. At least one of those shown was rented, there needs to be a clear sign somewhere in the van saying it will not fit through a 6ft 6 width restricted gap

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wonder if it confuses because motorhomes are measured in metres, roadsigns are in feet and inches. At least one of those shown was rented, there needs to be a clear sign somewhere in the van saying it will not fit through a 6ft 6 width restricted gap
We went metric for measurements in the 70's so why are road signs still in feet & inches 50 years later, madness.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I've found that on a narrow road, oncoming traffic will pull in to the side if they see a bus or bin wagon coming towards them, but they rarely make the space for you if you're in a motorhome ?

I find the opposite in our 'A' Class N&B Arto with a very large windscreen, which I think could easily be mistaken for a 16 passenger bus. Even quite big trucks stop for us.

I am often very grateful that they do.

But with a 'C' Class the front looks like a white van and maybe people do not notice the bodywork behind.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Or the road to the car park at the Lizard. I barely get down it :)
Got the T shirt on that one. In our previous Adria C class we decided to park in the NT car park.

The road looked fine when we joined it, but gradually narrowed. No way out so committed to go forward. Wife hanging out of the toilet window on the nearside and me leaning right out of the driver's window while trying to creep along. Literally an inch or two to spare each side to the stone walls. Took us a long time to go the last couple of hundred yards.

When we got there the parking attendant, who had been watching our progress over the top of the stone wall was all smiles and said "glad you made it, don't worry the exit road is easier". And it was. The good news was that we ended up staying the night in the car park because we were so shattered by the experience. Lovely and quiet until the sea mist rolled in and then the fog horn started up. Only lasted until about midnight so had a reasonably good sleep.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We went metric for measurements in the 70's so why are road signs still in feet & inches 50 years later, madness.

For the over 60's ?
The teaching of the Imperial system (and £/S/D) was dropped from the official school cerriculum in September 1966.

(Some schools continued to teach it though, and suprisingly more schools taught it in the 1980's than in the 1970's !)

The contuined use of imperial measument continues to cause millions of pounds of damages every year.
The classic being the US$ 2 billion Mars Lander where NASA had specced the thrust required in KG and Lockheed assumed it was LB. Result is after a 6 month flight the craft crashed into Mars.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
For the over 60's ?
The teaching of the Imperial system (and £/S/D) was dropped from the official school cerriculum in September 1966.

(Some schools continued to teach it though, and suprisingly more schools taught it in the 1980's than in the 1970's !)

The contuined use of imperial measument continues to cause millions of pounds of damages every year.
The classic being the US$ 2 billion Mars Lander where NASA had specced the thrust required in KG and Lockheed assumed it was LB. Result is after a 6 month flight the craft crashed into Mars.
It happens with metric as well, all drawing's I receive should be in mm but occasionally someone will send it in cm or worse still I've had them come with a combination of both!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A company I worked for used mainly American machinery, inch dimensions and Unified fasteners and the finished product was measured in Imperial units. We started making and selling their machines under licence to all four corners of the globe and later on, someone decided we should offer a metric version. Where they messed up big time, was most of the parts were bespoke, but they altered them to the nearest mm size too, so overnight, our parts inventory doubled. A 3" spigotted ram with matching high pressure oil centred guide bush became a 75mm unit, both doing the exact same job, both only supplied by us and neither were interchangeable.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Probably raining and thought he"d give the locals some excitement

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Mr Stonemags is a joiner, and he uses a mixture of both imperial and metric, with to me no logic! Leads to endless confusion for me when measuring anything or helping with DIY! Although that was not our excuse when we very nearly had to live out the rest of our lives in the small Spanish village of Lubrin due to an ever narrowing road and a very awkward turn!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Mr Stonemags is a joiner, and he uses a mixture of both imperial and metric, with to me no logic! Leads to endless confusion for me when measuring anything or helping with DIY! Although that was not our excuse when we very nearly had to live out the rest of our lives in the small Spanish village of Lubrin due to an ever narrowing road and a very awkward turn!

We chippies use the nearest mark on the tape to what were measuring ?

Still ask for timber in imperial even though that was changed years ago.

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
We chippies use the nearest mark on the tape to what were measuring ?

You are correct. It’s always a chunk of 4x2 never 100x50. My local builders yard sells sand by the shovelful.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Recently bought a sheet of 8' x 4' plywood, but of course it was labeled as 2440mm x 1220mm.

A news report on the BBC, (some time ago), stated that a stolen and damaged car was driven for over two kilometres at speeds of up to 70mph.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Recently bought a sheet of 8' x 4' plywood, but of course it was labeled as 2440mm x 1220mm.

A news report on the BBC, (some time ago), stated that a stolen and damaged car was driven for over two kilometres at speeds of up to 70mph.

Yep some sheet material is still produced in imperial.

It’s a strange world we live in ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back