Anybody have the new 9 speed auto ! (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
First trip away and needed to use levellers, only problem the new van won,t drive up them changed from auto to first gear still no luck I can literally push the accelerator flat to the floor and it just sits there (not for the faint hearted).

We have the engine management light on at the minute which is a faulty sensor (common problem with the new Fiat) but italy have very low supplies so have to wait 2 weeks, so dont know if this could be causing it.

So anybody out their achieved this task okay?

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Hi, mines the new 9 speed auto, same problem with the DPF sensor and it’s booked in on Monday to be changed . Had no driving issues what so ever though even did the trip from Doncaster to Taunton for Vanbitz essentials.
I had no experience of power loss as had selected power mode from normal and eco before the sensor light came on.
It could be that yours was in eco mode before your light came on as when I tried mine it was pretty gutless around town but superb on the motorway In eco mode.
Don’t worry about it though, it will drive like a dream once they change the sensor and reset the EGM. You’ll really notice a massive difference.

OP
OP
Ditcha
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, mines the new 9 speed auto, same problem with the DPF sensor and it’s booked in on Monday to be changed . Had no driving issues what so ever though even did the trip from Doncaster to Taunton for Vanbitz essentials.
I had no experience of power loss as had selected power mode from normal and eco before the sensor light came on.
It could be that yours was in eco mode before your light came on as when I tried mine it was pretty gutless around town but superb on the motorway In eco mode.
Don’t worry about it though, it will drive like a dream once they change the sensor and reset the EGM. You’ll really notice a massive difference.

Sounds like the sensor problem is common, yeah mine has just been in for 2 recalls yesterday drives fine just when you come to climb the levellers the van just won't rev its as if you disconnected the throttle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What happens if you try reversing up onto them? Does it still happen?

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Or sticking to the previous proven auto engine ... :giggle:

I have one of these 9 speeders in my car, and it's absolutely wonderful! :cool:

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Or sticking to the previous proven auto engine ... :giggle:
It’s not an engine or box issue. Just a simple sensor fix. Reversing up is likely a better option though as your say. I read on here that’s the preferred way of using levelling chocks with an auto.

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Sounds like the sensor problem is common, yeah mine has just been in for 2 recalls yesterday drives fine just when you come to climb the levellers the van just won't rev its as if you disconnected the throttle.
What recalls were there Ditcha? I’ll mention them on Monday when it goes in for the sensor.

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
I have one of these 9 speeders in my car, and it's absolutely wonderful! :cool:

Agreed totally, it is awesomely comfortable especially on the motorway. Stick the cruise control on and every change is smooth as silk and hardly noticeable.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Agreed totally, it is awesomely comfortable especially on the motorway. Stick the cruise control on and every change is smooth as silk and hardly noticeable.
The flappy paddles are awesome too, but having used them just once I decided that they were entirely superfluous!
John

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have the older Merc; `Box, No issues with climbing ramps/blocks?.

That 9spd box has been about for some years (ZF from 2013) it`s the same as on late Range Rover`s I believe?. I guess it`s the Usual FIAT AKA "Fix It Again Tomorrow"

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think on some levellers that the initial rise/bump is quite steep . Certainly our Millenco ones are. They are the stepped type rather than a simple ramp.

We are investing in hydraulic ones as our permanent site pitch is a bit of a slope.
Doesn't seem safe to me, what if you had to ride up a kerb or something.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Can confirm NO issues with new 9 speed box. ATM

Always thought the comfortmatic was relaxed and heh were not in any hurry. New 9 speed still to find all it's vagaries but can say its much better than the confortmatic, more like a DSG, Gone is the accelerate and pause and on we go.

Sue who tends to suffer motion sickness has said she feels it's more sympathetic in that respect.

Will add we all have our preferences, go drive one.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Even with my old comfortmatic I need to reverse back a foot or so and then drive forwards onto the ramps to get the van rolling and to make sure the clutch doesn't fully engage ending with me overshooting the ramps. Might be worth trying this technique

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Had 0 issues with comfortmatic going up ramps, Other than my concern about clutch overheating.

Trend on the accelerator and onwards and upwards.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
How do you get from throttle to brake quicker than a Ninja!

Unles you're referring to measured application of the accelerator as opposed to look out here I come .... omg brake brake ???????

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
I've got the 9 speed in my Malibu conversion. I had a similar experience reversing up my driveway which was due to having the handbrake on, it felt just like what you're saying, almost like the engine was revving but the van wouldn't move. Is there any possibility this is being caused because you've still got the handbrake slightly applied? Edit: I don't mean the handbrake is stopping the van moving but if you haven't fully taken it off then the auto box won't kick in, if that makes any sense!

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
That's my technique 😀

As a fellow Rapido owner I'm quite shocked by your cavalier attitude to selective quotes.

But must say if that technique works for you, go for it, however suggest a non gender specific person with a red flag (or other non inflammatory coloured flag) stands near by to warm folks :imoutahere:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
As a fellow Rapido owner I'm quite shocked by your cavalier attitude to selective quotes.

But must say if that technique works for you, go for it, however suggest a non gender specific person with a red flag (or other non inflammatory coloured flag) stands near by to warm folks :imoutahere:
If I touch the throttle whilst on the Ramps then they're off - everybody needs to stand clear..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back